Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Vegas mods

Black Angel

Arcane
Which one, Fear&Loathing or Viva New Vegas?

Either way, I did, and would do, certainly just that. With these guides, the authors goes pretty crazy with their recommendation but it's fine since many kinds of people use their guides. But as a Fine Codex Gentleman™ I'm also something of a purist myself, so I prefer to keep the mods to the mininum and only really go crazy with models, retextures, and stuff because, good Lord, ain't Gamebryo such an ugly sore to look at.

Here's for my personal recommendation rip off from Viva New Vegas but only for the most essential for stability and perfomance improvement for mininalist mod list

- Utilities

https://vivanewvegas.github.io/core-utilities.html

xNVSE (You need this even for not extensive modding)
New Vegas Anti Crash
New Vegas Tick Fix
Mod Limit Fix

These mod is very essential for the most stable game.

Don't install JIP LN NVSE and Johnny Guitar NVSE because i believe this mod only used for much more extensive modding hardly needed for minimalist but it doesnt harm if you add them to use it at later date.

- Bugfix

YUP Unofficial Bug Fix Only

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/51664

- Optional

JE Sawyer mod or it's derivatives which are you prefer some of them is already included fix from YUP so it's not necessary to install it.

- UI Mod

Recommendation from here
https://vivanewvegas.github.io/core-hud.html

And that's it you don't even need mod manager such as mod organizer 2 or need extensive knowledge of FNVEdit if you install all that and read the instruction carefully.

I think the game is fine the way it is, adding high quality texture from 2020 only just make it worse because it was not mean to be used for 2010 game. It's just my opinion.
Thank you for the recommendation, kind sir :salute:

Anyway, skimming through Viva New Vegas pages, I found neat way to fully replace Project Nevada as recommended by the guide in here.
- Project Nevada: Outdated, inefficient, bloated, and some parts are plain broken. Most features have modern alternatives (see the list below), It has almost 20 scripts that run every frame (!), will cause save bloat due to continuous quest stages running, and some features such as weapon charging and the AI changes do not work and/or break things.

Replacing Project Nevada:

- Although it may seem counterproductive to install a bunch of small mods to replace one big mod, all these alternatives are more modern, efficient, and 100% safe to use (and actually work), unlike Project Nevada

Cyberware:

Rebalance:

Equipment:

• Fallout 3 Weapons Restoration (DO NOT use Classic Fallout Weapons, it has a lot of broken meshes (that can potentially cause crashes) and breaks some leveled lists
Paging Butter because he posted something similar to me in previous page.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
bmLfgZh.png

Ugh. He's such a cunt. That's just a childish answer.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
bmLfgZh.png

Ugh. He's such a cunt. That's just a childish answer.

It's not childish at all. The mod is called "JSawyer Ultimate", but it adds a lot of stuff and changes others that Sawyer never modified. A proper "JSawyer Ultimate" mod that reworked all of Sawyer's changes for compatibility would be great. If I were him I would have said "I don't know why that mod uses my name to begin with", but Sawyer's too polite for that.

EDIT: Yet another example of the fallout.fandom wiki being shit.

Wiki said:
"Joshua Sawyer also praised JSawyer Ultimate"

What Sawyer's "praise" amounts to:

Sawyer said:
"I didn’t know about the Jsawyer Ultimate mod but it looks good."

How can you call "praise" someone saying they didn't know a mod even existed, didn't even play with it, and says it "looks" good?

Last edited:

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
It's a cunt answer, not praising or neutral. He could simply have said "nah, not my thing."

But he doesn't. He says if he wanted to do what they did, he could have done it better.

Remember, he's a yuge autist and has an ego, despite being a shit game designer. If it is something that isn't part of his 'balancing' mod, then it ultimately unbalances it and ruins everything. If you're not playing the way HE intended, you're doing it wrong.

Edit:

Why is it a cunt response?

Passive Aggressive = Feminine.
When a man does this, he's a CUNT. Because he should know better.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
I don't even know what he's bitching about, jsawyer.esp itself needed fixing, ultimate is superior

rotten personality

Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected
Keep him some slack will ya, he's not following all new vegas mods development over the year. Ofcourse he will keep mod instalation as close as vanilla as possible.

Ultimate will superior add a bunch needless thing like including some cut content not to be meant used on the first place, so he's not wrong that mod re-added things that he didn't know about. I remember playing that version is just fine for the most part, for all things to bitch about him this is not the case.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
We all know how I feel, so we all know that I'm gonna rip him apart no matter what.

I'm completely unfair. I can admit that.

But can't you guys at least admit that he's a passive aggressive cunt who should never work in game design again? I mean, if we can agree on that point, then I don't see a problem.

Risewild

Arbiter
We all know how I feel, so we all know that I'm gonna rip him apart no matter what.

I'm completely unfair. I can admit that.

But can't you guys at least admit that he's a passive aggressive cunt who should never work in game design again? I mean, if we can agree on that point, then I don't see a problem.
If you think that about him, why are you defending a mod that stole his name and mod without authorization and then changed so many stuff from his own personal mod that it makes no sense having his name on it anymore? And he's confirming that JSawyer Ultimate is NOT his vision for what FNV should be (which some people on this same thread said it is).

Like I said before, I have no problem if people prefer the Ultimate mod, I just have a problem with the name of the mod. And now J. Sawyer himself admits that Ultimate adds/edits/reverts stuff he doesn't want to be in the game.
I have nothing against PushTheWinButton, but I do have a problem with the name of the mod. :lol:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Plus the problem with JSawyer Ultimate is that a lot of things are edited for "consistency"... without regards for whether these things were intentionally left alone by Sawyer. Sometimes "consistency" ends up breaking the balance of itemization.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Oh boy, he's using those shitty weapon pack DLC's. Talking about balance, huh, Mister Sawyer?

typical user

Arbiter
He did reply and said he has nothing against JSawyer Ultimate or the author. It sounded arrogant and hostile on the other hand.

Black Angel

Arcane
While I'm something of a purist myself, the one undeniable strength that JSUE has over the original JSawyer is its ready compatibility with most other, often popular, mods. Especially with the newest update, it's now (allegedly, I'm not a entirely familiar with modding mechanism so I don't know how true this is) easier to make patches with it.

Now, you might argue that the solution to this is to make merged/compatibility patches between the original JSawyer and my mods of choice. The thing is, I didn't care enough about modding New Vegas to the point where I would go out of my way to make patches and resolve conflicts between each and every mods I used. If a mod I'm using has conflicts with a mod or two, I might consider learning making merged/compatibility patches. But when you pitch the original JSawyer, last updated on 2012, against the constantly evolving and transforming modding scene of New Vegas, of which up until *now* still have mods being made and updated, to the point we have an amazing stuff like Tale of Two Wasteland (of which Risewild is part of the team), and also an amazing guide like Viva New Vegas (of which featured a plethora of mods as old as of 2018 (!)).... Come on. You get what I'm saying, you dig?

Another, probably irrelevant point of view I would mention, and this isn't coming from me but from some other Codexer whom I vaguely remembered saying, is that Sawyer's obsession with balance actually began with JSawyer. That's all I'm going to say since I haven't played PoE, but it's a point of view worth considering for anybody who've played PoE and witnessed firsthand Sawyer's strange obsession with balance.

Having said all that, I think the perfect solution so that those who prefer what they preferred to leave each other in peace, is for someone to make and maintain a JSawyer Compatibility Patches page on the Nexus, and constantly updated so JSawyer can properly adapt to the ever-growing modding scene of New Vegas. Something like this, which happens to be made by yet another TTW team darthbdaman, but unfortunately last updated 2016 and seemingly abandoned.

The Jester

Cipher
This mod will start a few days after leaving Zion Valley after completing "Chaos In Zion" which is started by killing, stealing, or attacking any Sorrows or Dead Horses in Honest Hearts. After a few days of being back in the Mojave, Joshua Graham and two Dead Horse Warriors will hunt you down. There are four dialogue options, two by default, one is available if you're in good standings with the Legion, and another is available if you killed Joshua Graham in Zion

NOW THIS IS WHAT I CALL C&C.

Black Angel

Arcane
I might consider learning making merged/compatibility patches.
Those are outdated, you should use "The Method" instead.
Enlighten me, O wise wombat.

Anyway, I need some help with my modded game. The main menu is loaded, or at least it tried to load, and then it just freeze. It happens right after I installed Viva New Vegas's Gameplay module, whereas before it was just fine and loaded normally. Even played through it and it was fine, too. Here's my load order:
# This file was automatically generated by Mod Organizer.
FalloutNV.esm
DeadMoney.esm
HonestHearts.esm
OldWorldBlues.esm
LonesomeRoad.esm
GunRunnersArsenal.esm
ClassicPack.esm
TribalPack.esm
MercenaryPack.esm
CaravanPack.esm
Navmesh Fixes and Improvements.esm
YUP - Base Game + All DLC.esm
Landscape_Seam_Fix.esm
Uncut Road to Legate's Camp.esm
Ambient Temperature.esm
JIP Selective-Fire.esm
oHUD.esm
BraveNewWorld.esm
New Vegas Redesigned II.esm
PHWHPAPVisuals.esm
Cyberware.esm
YUP - NPC Fixes (Base Game + All DLC).esp
Unofficial Patch Plus.esp
Unofficial Patch Plus - Addendum.esp
WMIMNV.esp
WMIM Addendum.esp
Armor Replacer Child NPC Fix.esp
FIXforLegionArmors.esp
The Mod Configuration Menu.esp
JIP Improved Recipe Menu.esp
FPSWeaponWheel.esp
JIP Realistic Weapon Overheating.esp
KeyBoy Hotkeys.esp
The Weapon Mod Menu.esp
FlashlightNVSE.esp
Character Creation Streamlined.esp
Simple DLC Delay.esp
Vanilla UI Plus.esp
CPI Icons.esp
Enslave Gannon fix.esp
Melee Reach Revised.esp
Psycho and Slasher Bonus Damage Fix.esp
DisableMuzzleFlashLights.esp
Motion Sickness Reduction Mod.esp
Tutorial Killer.esp
NoTrapsPopup.esp
FOVSlider.esp
Game Tweaks..esp
Core - YUP - WMIM Patch.esp
Vurt's WFO.esp
EnhancedGrass_NoVL.esp
A Wasteland in Bloom.esp
STDG.esp
Book of Steel.esp
Weapon Retexture Project.esp
YUP - WRP Patch.esp
dD - Enhanced Blood Main NV.esp
Little More Lamplight.esp
Burning Campfire.esp
BC2.esp
Bathroom Doors Fix.esp
CIB Bighorners - HH.esp
CIB Bighorners.esp
Alsatian NCR Guard Dogs.esp
NVAnimatedTerninalScreenSaver.esp
OWB-Path Lights.esp
JSawyer Ultimate.esp
JSUE Addendum.esp
Economy Overhaul.esp
Economy Overhaul Addendum.esp
Mojave Arsenal.esp
Mojave Wildlife (Vanilla-Style + No Chanced).esp
Mojave Raiders.esp
Mojave Raiders Addendum.esp
JSawyer Ultimate - Mojave Arsenal Patch.esp
JSawyer Ultimate - Mojave Raiders Patch.esp
Follower Tweaks.esp
Changed Vendor Flags.esp
BLEEDNV.esp
BLEED Addendum.esp
Unfound Loot.esp
NPCsSprint.esp
Real Recoil.esp
Yukichigai Gameplay Tweaks.esp
JIP Companions Command & Control.esp
VNV Follower Tweaks.esp
Quickthrow.esp
JustModsAssorted.esp
Qolore Gameplay Tweaks.esp
GRA Scavenger Hunt Unbalanced.esp
BetterNCRSupplyCache.esp
Honest Hearts Workbench Crate Luck.esp
Toxic Cloud Fix.esp
SGO - CCS Compatible.esp
VWBarterRepairCosts.esp
VWPerceptionRangedAccuracy.esp
Stat Choices.esp
NPC Use Aid.esp
Helmet Overlay.esp
Enhanced Vision.esp
Immersive Minigames.esp
Immersive Primary Needs.esp
Universal Item Sorter.esp
Cyberware OWB.esp
Cyberware-Quickthrow Patch.esp
Gameplay - JSUE - WRP Patch.esp
Gameplay - JSUE - YGT Patch.esp
Gameplay - WMIM - JSUE Patch.esp
Gameplay - YUP - BLEED Patch.esp
FNVLODGen.esp
tmzLODadditions.esp
outsidebets.esp
Uncut Extra Collection.esp
CutMerged.esp
No more giant manhole covers.esp
Laurens_Bathroom_poetry.esp
BraveNewWorld-ArmorReplacerChildNPCFix.esp
BraveNewWorld-YUP.esp
BraveNewWorld-OutsideBets.esp
BraveNewWorld-UncutExtraCollection.esp
NVR- Lore version.esp
Voice dissonance fix.esp
RaestlozFactionArmorEnhancement.esp
All Weapon Sounds Overhaul .esp
Explosive Sounds Overhaul.esp
Combat Music.esp
ImmersivePickupSoundsFNV.esp
Clarity - Dark Nights.esp
Bashed Patch, 0.esp
Something to note:
  1. I replaced VNV's Character Expansion Revised mods with a combination of Brave New World + New Vegas Redesigned 2 (since the author successfully made them compatible), and it worked just fine before installing the Gameplay module
  2. While VNV didn't actually put most of them in the Gameplay module, I installed the recommended mods to replace Project Nevada as listed in 'Gameplay Mods to Avoid' in the guide
  3. Also, I'm using Mod Organizer 1 for this. I know I shouldn't, but at this point it's too late for me to make the switch now, because the amount of time and effort I imagined needed to install MO2 from scratch, even with the Viva New Vegas guide, is already putting a weight on my mental condition. So I'd like to at least play a playthrough or two with this one before making the switch as fast as of 2021.
  4. With that, I'll also note that because I'm using Fear&Loathing in New Vegas guide (which used MO1), before trying to plug in Viva New Vegas's mods in there (while also replacing the outdated and obsolete F&LNV mods), I got cut content mods installed BEFORE the UI mods.
  5. I also had body replacer mods, such as Type 3, Roberts and the individual mods for the DLCs. I had them disabled now, but still the game freeze on main menu.
  6. Despite the last two points, the game worked JUST FINE *BEFORE* installing the Gameplay module. So, in the meanwhile, I'll now commence trying to activate-deactivate each and every one of the Gameplay mods and see which one freezes the main menu.

Yosharian

Arcane
Jeez why would you go through all this trouble when you can just one-click install VNV and play that immediately.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom