Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Vegas has a stupid plot... but i like it!

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
The problem isnt the chip itself but what its for. It unlocks rockets inside a robot army. Rockets and robots, WTF. Thats like something out of Hellboy. I thought Fallout is supposed to be at least somewhat realistic.

It's always been whacky tech/ideas laid over a stark real and bleak setting so that the contrast between the two is all the more striking.
Yeah. I'm sure what Beastro was saying that Fallout should have gone this route:

Every other RPG route: The Vault Dweller should head out and find a spell which makes the robots mightier. That's the part that is missing. That's what breaks immersion! Mighty spells that can do anything, so the programmers/writers don't have to think things through!

Come on, give them a break. They could have easily just updated the fire rate of weapons, or made the lasers more damaging - but visually you'd have no idea what the effect of your actions had other than the new face. Then people would be bitching about lazy programmers. The rockets look cool and do splash damage, and are a clear visual sign that your efforts had consequences. Rocket launchers appearing out of nowhere is a problem, but every other game where you can cast create a meteor out of noting and throw it at someone, 80 times a day is just fie.

Master

Arbiter
The rockets look cool and do splash damage, and are a clear visual sign that your efforts had consequences.

That sounds like Ken Levine school of marketing game design. I sure hope thats not what they were aiming at. I hope they just couldnt think of anything better than rockets, robots and kiddie stuff like that. Yeah it doesnt fit Fallout but neither does the ubergrimdark tone of the rest of the game. So in the end it kinda balances out
:balance:

pippin

I hope they just couldnt think of anything better than rockets, robots and kiddie stuff like that. Yeah it doesnt fit Fallout but neither does the ubergrimdark tone of the rest of the game.

This also applies for the first game, though. You had the grim world of Post Nuclear America and then you had robots from Lost In Space.

Endemic

Arcane
This also applies for the first game, though. You had the grim world of Post Nuclear America and then you had robots from Lost In Space.

F1 has robobrains in the Glow. FNV only has them in the lulzy DLC adventure called Old World Blues. ;)

pippin

F1 has robobrains in the Glow. FNV only has them in the lulzy DLC adventure called Old World Blues. ;)

Robobrains appear in the Mojave, though they are much rarer than they are in the Capital Wasteland. One can be found overlooking Hoover Dam near Ranger station Delta, working for the NCR. There are also hostile robobrains at HELIOS One, Vault 11, the H&H Tools Factory and Big MT. These robobrains have male voices, unlike the robobrains of the Capital Wasteland, who have female voices.

I'm beginning to think people dissing NV haven't even played the game.

edit: there were robobrains in Mariposa too.

2house2fly

Magister
That's the only one I ever remember seeing in the main game. It's chilling next to a scenic view of Hoover Dam with a chair and some binoculars

Endemic

Arcane

Although that was without pulse grenades. Even so, the rockets outrange grenades, and the 'trons have repair capability, the 9mm SMG and laser.

Master

Arbiter
Repair capability

How does that even work? Nanomachines? These bots are the biggest contrivance ive ever seen.

Endemic

Arcane
How does that even work? Nanomachines? These bots are the biggest contrivance ive ever seen.

Well how do robots work on assembly lines? Welding, spraying, etc. Probably the same principle here. In lore terms, it's more likely that they repair between engagements with spare plates underneath the "shoulder". I don't think it means they regen hitpoints every second, otherwise they would be invulnerable to the player.

The model's appearance suggests they can each fire 18 rockets before reloading. That is a lot of firepower any way you slice it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom