Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Total War game: Warhammer

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
good I hate this videos. he plays like a moron and she is talking like the audience is a kindergarten. way to screw your presentation.

Aothan

Magister
the demonstration may have deliberately limited the use of hotkeys to show how units are being selected etc If leader units, flanks, special abilities and the like were all being used from hotkeys much of what was happening would not be immediately apparent

still awaiting High Elves (maybe sometime after Wood Elves...)

varangos

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck
That's a shitload of units in one army. In single theres at least pause button, but in multi it will be glorious chaos.

is this your first total war game?20 units are the staple in the series since the beginning,and in shogun 2 even they added the option for 40 unit armies even in multi.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
EGX stream is live now:
So basically primitive stuff I did several years ago. (I skimmed it, but I'm curious why he said it uses the same commands as player. I think it would be much more difficult to make tactical AI that doesn't use the same commands as player for Warhammer like game. The advantage of AI is of course it can issue commands without delay, player needs pause button. And main problem with AI in TW games were updates that completely broke AI. Also Total War AI programmers didn't bothered to watch some more complicated battles of competent players, thus AI was quite limited in tactic.) Well, majority of Warhammer fans are still crying from Chaos being DLC, and from elves being included in expansions. I guess AI would be least of theirs worries for few weeks after release.

In Shogun 2 there was a disconnection between long term AI plans and tactical AI. For example, even when strategy part needed cavalry to accomplish goals, and AI went into big trouble to obtain it, tactical AI obliterated it in instant, even when the battle was lost and they could at least retreat the important cavalry and surviving troops.

They solved these problems in Shogun 2 by 1. spawning units.
2. doomstack which was hard to kill, but after it lost momentum, AI had nothing in reserve. So when a player was lucky and obliterated doomstack, AI had nothing left, and there was a rapid push in the opposite direction.

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
I'd say "interesting" but really...
"blablalablabla" then "yea we just made city walls and streets super extra wide/deep now, with massive plazas and whatnot..."

Not complaining, siege always been a fucking pain in these games.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Sieges in Shogun2 were fun, when you were able to defend against horrible numbers, even playing as Oda has been doable.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Sieges in Shogun2 were fun, when you were able to defend against horrible numbers, even playing as Oda has been doable.
Sieges work well in Shogun 2 because they take place in fortresses that are designed for combat. In most other TW games sieges take place in cities and the challenge is more akin to navigating rush hour traffic than warfare.

(It has to be said that the AI in Shogun 2 has severe problems with attacking fortresses. This means that if you play well you have a chance to defeat a full attacking army with just default garrison troops, in fun tense battles where every move matters. It hurts the strategic balance though, since the AI will throw away forces into hopeless attacks on well defended fortresses.)

Beastro

Arcane
Sieges work well in Shogun 2 because they take place in fortresses that are designed for combat. In most other TW games sieges take place in cities and the challenge is more akin to navigating rush hour traffic than warfare.

(It has to be said that the AI in Shogun 2 has severe problems with attacking fortresses. This means that if you play well you have a chance to defeat a full attacking army with just default garrison troops, in fun tense battles where every move matters. It hurts the strategic balance though, since the AI will throw away forces into hopeless attacks on well defended fortresses.)

TW games have always been like that.

A couple phalanx units at the front of a gate and a couple on the flanks of it to keep it from being captured could hold off an army.

The best part is when the AI breaks open a gate, if you leave it unrepaired then the next battle will have the rush it, even if it's on the other side of the map.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Horrible news. I just seen on forums that "
Dwarf's Zhufbar and Altdorf ITSELF have the exact same city layout"

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
is there a limit to how many armies you can have again

if so im not even gonna try this game

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Horrible news. I just seen on forums that "
Dwarf's Zhufbar and Altdorf ITSELF have the exact same city layout"

Here's a video:

First I thought they meant the human settlement near Zhufbar, but the dwarven Zhufbar is subterraneous in the game. Not that it makes a huge difference, because it's basically a normal map with a slightly different skydome.

Moink

Cipher
Most of the sieges look terrible, only 1 or 2 walls with retarded AI.

Only good thing about this game is the RPG style loot/level system you have for heroes.

Beowulf

Arcane
Yeah, perhaps I phrased it wrong, let me correct that:

The only disappointing element of Dark Omen is that every battle was really a defensive battle where you had to destroy waves of attacking enemies.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
You forgot about lack of state management, income raising armies and other stuff. Also you couldn't play as opposite side.

Beowulf

Arcane
You are right, but that wasn't disappointing if you were not expecting it.

And those WFB games were just this - games about battles tied by some kind of a overall campaign narrative.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I have to say it looks OK so far. I'm not a TW fan so I guess I'm impervious to the decline-inflicted butthurt. Rome 2 and Attila were fun for one campaign playthrough and this one looks much more interesting + I love strategy games that let you play as undead.

Beowulf

Arcane
I don't get why people are so butthurt about not being able to paint the whole map. In my experience Total War always falls flat, when it wants to be a 4x/grand strategy type of game.
I derived my biggest enjoyment in the latest instalments from playing the more condensed, so to speak, campaign packs - Caesar in Gaul, Roman Expedition, Hannibal at the Gates (or whatever it was called).

Those campaigns gave some structure to the battles, some victory conditions seemed like they had some thought put to them, there were some text COYAs that could be considered rudimentary quests and even story events.

If they will go with it in Warhammer, plus the quest battles that they showcased will tie in without being thrown out of the context of the situation on the strategy map; it might be not that bad actually.

Of course, they will also have to show competent AI, but it will be only possible to judge after the launch and day 1 patches.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom