Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Total War game: Warhammer

Quatlo

Arcane
So glad that the total war team has decided to screw up a fantasy setting, rather than a real life piece of history. I look forward to the hilarious bugs, damning user reviews, and paid-for journo 10/10 advertisement articles.
Guys Do I Fit Yet: The Post

So is it confirmed that we can actually fight battles in the base game or are we forced to auto resolve everything if we don't have the correct DLC?

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
auto resolve now sold as $5.99 DLC. real time combat will be included in a patch post-release.

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
So glad that the total war team has decided to screw up a fantasy setting
screw up a fantasy setting

age-of-sigmar-artwork.jpg

'Top wew,' as they say.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
So far the Chaos Warriors Trailer has an astonishing 2.5k Likes and almost 30k dislikes. Even reviewers that for some reason managed to like the previous Total War installments like it was cocaine are outraged over this move. This is fucking hilarious.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
They over-calculated. There probably wouldn't be anywhere near as much of a stink if it was a more minor faction (Ogre Kingdoms, Vampire Counts, Tomb Kings, etc) instead, but Hordes of Chaos is probably the second most popular faction in WHFB right next to Orks (and even CA isn't stupid enough to try and make the latter DLC), the fact that they thought they could get away with making them a DLC faction is somewhat astounding.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
To be fair, this smells more like a Sega move than anything CA would do. I may be wrong of course, but stuff like what part of content available becomes DLC and and the pricing etc. seems to be done by the publisher not the dev.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
CA probably wanted Vampire counts as the DLC race and SEGA decided that "Chaos is more popular, so we'll sell more DLC this way!"
Genius.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The DLC craze of CA has only grown more and more ridiculous with time. The early TW games had solid expansions that only got better with time - Mongol Invasion was fun, Viking Invasion was great, Barbarian Invasion was awesome, Alexander was solid and had good AI updates, Kingdoms added three new campaigns that were all pretty fun and had their own unique features. Then came Empire, and expansions were replaced with tiny little DLCs, Warband being the only real expansion-style one. Other than that, we got unit packs. Same with Napoleon, Shogun 2, Rome 2... the "expansions" became standalone, and countless DLCs added new factions and units. While there are lots of mods that add even more units than the DLCs you have to pay for, so... hurr durr :lol:

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I never understood how anything worked in Napoleon. Cavalry would die in seconds, artillery was better left at spawn. If the enemy was dumb enough to move his artillery to a better position, you could snipe it then shoot his men with the remaining ammunition. Then the rest of the game was about moving your line just right at the tip of the red circles.

You put artylery between line infantry and let AI got machine gunned by canister fire and then when they started to run mow down them with Cavalry... It was only tactics which made retardo Warscape engine serviceable... Avoid 1:1 melee fights that is.

Quatlo

Arcane
The DLC craze of CA has only grown more and more ridiculous with time. The early TW games had solid expansions that only got better with time - Mongol Invasion was fun, Viking Invasion was great, Barbarian Invasion was awesome, Alexander was solid and had good AI updates, Kingdoms added three new campaigns that were all pretty fun and had their own unique features. Then came Empire, and expansions were replaced with tiny little DLCs, Warband being the only real expansion-style one. Other than that, we got unit packs. Same with Napoleon, Shogun 2, Rome 2... the "expansions" became standalone, and countless DLCs added new factions and units. While there are lots of mods that add even more units than the DLCs you have to pay for, so... hurr durr :lol:

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
To be fair, Fall of the Samurai was a damn solid expansion pack. Even stand-alone it's one of the better games in the series.

Can't say the same about Rise of the Samurai though. That was basically just a smaller scale variation of the vanilla game with a couple of useful fodder units for multiplayer.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
Looks like they actually made a statement about the whole chaos-DLC thingy.

http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/164869-Total-War-WARHAMMER-Dev-Blog-–-Chaos-Warriors-Pre-orders-and-DLC

So is adding chaos as a pre-order incentive "cut content"? I think the opposite is true. If we didn't add it to the pre-order, it would have been DLC later on and not in the game at release.

Who the actual fuck makes a WHFB game and doesn't plan on making chaos a race that is either playable or an opponent? They cannot possibly tell me that noone on the design-table thought of making chaos one of those 4 races. Seems to me like they knew from the get go that chaos was gonna be a DLC-only playable faction. Are they really that retarded that they don't realize that people aren't criticizing their decision to make a pre-order DLC, but that the pre-order DLC was the most iconic race in the whole fucking franchise?

Last edited:

Saark

Arcane
Patron
You should check out the replies, everyone is slurping up that shit like it was ambrosia. And the one guy who actually tells them what the real issue is gets shut down quickly enough by some super retard.

Aothan

Magister
so, can we expect Chaos to be unusually effective a la so many other recent examples of Warhammer games (Mark of Chaos, Dawn of War 2)

Disgruntled

Savant
I respect the efforts to try and get CA/SEGA to back down on the Chaos dlc, but its expected greed at this point.
If WH is at least on the level of Attila, the new units and setting will make it worth my time and money. Not that im preordering any time soon of course.

Mazisky

Magister
I hope to see some environment variety and not only rock\lava settings

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom