Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Tomb Raider confirmed

911 Jumper

Learned
Yep, looks like a boy. Another Western developer can't design an attractive female character. Imagine my shock.

laclongquan

Arcane
Good Lara, I have no complaint.

Lara-Croft-from-UE5-Tomb-Raider.jpeg

Ezekiel

Arcane
It's artwork, not an in-game render...
So? Its an indication of the kind of game they're going to make, and I can think of nothing good that can come from a pop-up that says slide to open in said game.
Oh! I was being stupid, thought you meant graphics pop-in, that visual anomaly where the engine can't render everything at once. I kind of assumed the pop-up was on their website, to get exclusive access or something.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Every new Lara model since Crystal Dynamics took over has a much thinner braid than the original.

Compare:

The new one
2024-02-18 19_08_10-Lara-Croft-from-UE5-Tomb-Raider-3.jpg (JPEG Image, 2542 × 1193 pixels) — M...png

Original:
1708279937946.png

Conclusion: the devs at Crystal Dynamics are balding men jealous of Lara's mane so they keep downgrading it.

Ezekiel

Arcane
At least she doesn't carry a pickaxe in the artwork. Climbing those conspicuous walls was so tedious.

Someone suggested to me that all walls should be climbable, not just rocks marked with paint or different texture of stone. But climbing walls isn't really platforming. Climbing everything would nullify platforming. If the player wants to climb up any wall that is beyond the reach of the jump, they should have to use momentum that makes her kick off the wall to bring her higher.

I would allow the player to move backwards and sideways while holding L1 (or the right mouse button). This would help line them up for jumps and such, like in the old games. When a gun is equipped and L1 is held, the camera would also zoom in for tighter aim sensitivity. But you would be able to run and shoot in the regular field of view without L1.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
"More tombs," people still say. When they say this, it suggests that the tombs are secondary. The whole reason for being in an area should be the tomb. If she's in a forest or out on a beach, the destination should still be the massive tomb. The story should be about the tombs. That artwork totally misses the point. Says a lot when their first image shows a big open space.

911 Jumper

Learned

Likely also being done to make male-to-female transgender aesthetics more palatable to ultimately increase acceptance.
I can't think of a single attractive female main character in a Western developed game. I think Returnal's Selene is still by far the ugliest, there is just something especially egregious about that one.

911 Jumper

Learned

Likely also being done to make male-to-female transgender aesthetics more palatable to ultimately increase acceptance.
I can't think of a single attractive female main character in a Western developed game. I think Returnal's Selene is still by far the ugliest, there is just something especially egregious about that one.

Sinister stuff. Unfortunately most people will just laugh and mock these designs while ignoring the underlying motivation, which is to transform minds. The aesthetic itself is an expression of the ideology these people want to promote.

Thanks for the info btw – sorry no access to Reactions yet so can't upvote/Like your post.

janior

Arcane
Patron
TOMB RAIDER SERIES TO ESCAPE ITS COLONIAL PAST

British adventurer Lara Croft will transition from being a raider of tombs to a seeker of truth as Evil Hat Productions and Crystal Dynamics seek to redefine the Tomb Raider series in order to escape a history wounded by colonialism, according to an excerpt from the official Tomb Raider Shadows of Truth RPG rulebook.

https://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/headlines4855.html

Machocruz

Arcane
Find it weird that Z-targeting has never been used to squeeze between walls in a game. It would work so well in the games where the camera can be moved while holding the bumper or trigger. I'd even be happy having it just once in a game, an optional area if it's deemed too weird, as a moment that makes me go, "No, they DIDN'T!"

I'd make it skill based, so if you mis-align yourself with the gap, you die. Would be more actual gameplay than TR has had in a while.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Find it weird that Z-targeting has never been used to squeeze between walls in a game. It would work so well in the games where the camera can be moved while holding the bumper or trigger. I'd even be happy having it just once in a game, an optional area if it's deemed too weird, as a moment that makes me go, "No, they DIDN'T!"

I'd make it skill based, so if you mis-align yourself with the gap, you die. Would be more actual gameplay than TR has had in a while.

Deleted the post right before you replied because I was gonna re-post it in the Zelda Series thread. But this is fine. I think most Tomb Raider players will understand why I placed it here.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Wait, I do know him, or have seen him posted before.

"...because if this game sells better than the current terrible Tomb Raider titles..."

This is such a retarded take. He seriously believes these old games whose tank controls so many people complain about will outsell the one that will tick off all the AAA boxes and have the modern production values? Crystal Dynamics isn't afraid of these ports at all. They put the message in there simply because they own the IP and don't want it to take away from the wokeness that infests their studio and image.

Edit: Eh, not the same guy. Was sure while I was working, not on the internet. Bunch of them are kinda the same.

Said it in the "What game are you wasting time on?" thread, but watching a coworker climb a ladder with a rope and then pull a bag with equipment up with it a few weeks ago made me think some more about the possibilities in action-adventure games. Obviously can't put Lara's guns or anything that goes in her backpack in there. Was thinking more of big, clunky environmental objects used to progress. Could make it challenging by putting moving objects, fire or creatures (spiders) that can break/burn the rope between the top and the ground where she came from, could have her walk left and right while pulling the rope and object up to avoid the hazards.

Last edited:

911 Jumper

Learned
New Tomb Raider Game Is Open-World Set in India, Says New Rumor
A new rumor about a new Tomb Raider game is making the rounds, and according to this rumor, the next installment in the series is taking Lara Croft to India and will be fully open-world. It has been six years since the last Tomb Raider game, with that game being Shadow of the Tomb Raider, which wrapped up the "Survivor" trilogy that rebooted the entire franchise. We know a lot is going on with the series, but we don't have many details. For example, there is a proper new game in the works -- among other things -- at series developer Crystal Dynamics. This was revealed back in 2022, alongside word it would be an Unreal Engine 5 experience. Since then, there's only been rumors about this project. Fast-forward, and that is what we have, another rumor.

The rumor comes claims the game will feature a "big map" which players will be able to traverse around on motorcycle. Parachutes are also mentioned so either there will be cliff diving or players will have access to some type of air vehicle.

"Next Tomb Raider game will be fully open world and set in India," reads the rumor. "Featuring vast sceneries, free use of the motorcycle, parachute, and common Lara's traversal methods to unrestrictedly navigate across a big map and its challenges. Just imagine encounters with tigers, leopards, a vast fauna and environments such as, jungles, snowy mountains, cliffs, deserts...The potential is amazing."

It seems the source also got their hands on a story pitch, which reads as follows: "A natural disaster strikes northern India revealing ancient emperor Ashoka's ruins and artifacts. Lara strategically races against a Society of Raiders and other rivals for these powerful relics."

"The Society of Raiders are inspired by Lara yet unaffiliated and might have some opposite agendas," adds the rumor. "This also relates to a new feature based on recruiting teams and allies to strategically aid you in missions and defeating rivals."

The last detail mentioned is that there is an "emphasis on a new non-lethal combat option," suggesting Lara Croft may not be the bloodthirsty killing machine she has been in the past.

If any of this sounds familiar, it's because some of it has been hinted at and suggested by some previous rumors. This tidbit specifically comes the way of V Scooper, a source actually better known in the movie industry. Suffice to say, take everything here with a grain of salt.
Source: ComicBook.com

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
I normally hate open-world, but raiding Tombs would lend itself really well to large spaces that requires hard digging. But of course they'll ruin it with BIG ASS QUESTMARKERS, nullifying the whole point of the eponymous task.

Ezekiel

Arcane
We knew it would be open world from the artwork and the industry shift since the last reboot. Big open world means no globetrotting, which hasn't been a thing since Underworld, so just India isn't surprising. If the focus was massive tombs, the first art would have teased that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom