Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Skyrim footage

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
That last video is one of a retard failing at everything and constantly restarting. Seriously, what made the moron share this much fail? He can't even pick a single lock without spending nearly half an hour on it. Instead of doing something, like, interesting. Fucking hell, I hate gamers like that.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Trash said:
That last video is one of a retard failing at everything and constantly restarting. Seriously, what made the moron share this much fail? He can't even pick a single lock without spending nearly half an hour on it. Instead of doing something, like, interesting. Fucking hell, I hate gamers like that.

But that is Bethesda's target audience.

zeitgeist said:
Also, here's a fun fact: apparently at least some enemies can't follow you into water at all. For example wolves and the human guards in the first village. You can just park your character a few feet away from the river bank, and they'll stand there and growl or shout insults at you forever.

I remember drowning guards a couple times in Morrowind. Or they just sat there doggy paddling for the next couple months.

Stinger

Arcane
Ok the environment in that screenshot looks exactly like Cyrodiil with maybe the shrubs from FNV. Not seeing any significant graphical improvement there whatsoever.

M'aiq looks better than the Oblivion Khajits though I guess.

Xi

Arcane
Stinger said:
Ok the environment in that screenshot looks exactly like Cyrodiil with maybe the shrubs from FNV. Not seeing any significant graphical improvement there whatsoever.

M'aiq looks better than the Oblivion Khajits though I guess.

Honestly, it looks good enough. I doubt you'll see better graphics without a new console generation. All they could really do is increase texture resolutions, but that would require more VRAM. I don't think visuals are a valid complaint for this game, aside from maybe the over use of bloom and shit like that.

It looks like a slight step up, but not by much, you are right about that.

Twinkle

Liturgist
abnaxus said:
DSC_0059.jpg

M'aiq Effect. :yeah:

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Watched the 3 hour leaked video from the final 360 version. The environmental effects like snow are actually pretty, and the textures have been improved over Fallout 3, but everything else is basically same old shitty Bethesda, right down to broken radiant AI and pathfinding bugs.

Some highlights:

Shopkeeper says "my wares is the best wares" one second, the next says "I'm kinda crap, go see another NPC", but of course they both sell the exact same goods. Real fucking great there. Kinda begs the question what the point of having like 5 merchants per city is if they all sell the same goddamn items.

There's some church/temple/whatever. The player runs in, looks around for 5 seconds, then opens the unlocked door into the crypt. Within a few seconds the player is being attacked by hostile, animate skeleton warriors wielding "ancient" swords in what is apparently a well-maintained, well-lit burial chamber.

Player gets owned by a frost troll in the mountains. Looks like level scaling probably isn't in - his spells and melee attacks didn't even dent the troll's health bar, while the player went down in about 3 hits (at level 8, too). Improvement, at least.

Anyone who says repeating voices are gone is clearly lying or an idiot. The Nord males all use the same goddamn voice actor. The guy who plays that Jarl or whatever in the intro? Expect to hear him a lot. The overall voice acting quality is actually pretty good, except for some actors they've held onto from Oblivion, who are still fucking terrible - the new ones are fine, at least.

Load times are pretty long, around 20-30 seconds on the Xbox 360. New engine my ass. If there are any improvements, I'm not seeing them. At least the PC will have 5 second load times as always (at least, I hope). Now you get a 3D model to examine during loading, which at least is kind of nice to kill time, but it's still lame that they didn't even bother to improve things.

The skill system is amazingly stupid. Mercantile has been rolled into Speech, so now you can advance Speech by selling lots of items. There's a Smithing skill which governs some of the crafting (I assume Alchemy handles potion-making), which is a bit of an improvement, but like all crafting systems it's basically useless because you can buy the same items from the nearby stores. No wonder they all have the same stock - apparently that trusty old Steel Sword is all there is. Maybe if we're really lucky, there will be unique weapons you can make with a high enough Intelligence score - of course, that would be smart, so it's probably not in.

Broken game is broken. The player undergoes a trial to become a mercenary, where he has to duel another merc. Player uses a dragon shout on the merc, which hits a random NPC passing by behind him as well. Suddenly, the player is being attacked by like 5 guards, all while the merc is going "woah, good job, you have some promise". Then the merc's scripted sequence ends and he starts beating on the player as well about 20 seconds later. This kind of shit was kind of understandable back in the Morrowind days, tolerable in Oblivion, hilarious in Fallout 3... now it's just sad. If Bethesda claim to have improved their AI or scripting at all in the last decade, it's a fucking lie.

curry

Arcane
sea said:
Broken game is broken. The player undergoes a trial to become a mercenary, where he has to duel another merc. Player uses a dragon shout on the merc, which hits a random NPC passing by behind him as well. Suddenly, the player is being attacked by like 5 guards, all while the merc is going "woah, good job, you have some promise". Then the merc's scripted sequence ends and he starts beating on the player as well about 20 seconds later. This kind of shit was kind of understandable back in the Morrowind days, tolerable in Oblivion, hilarious in Fallout 3... now it's just sad. If Bethesda claim to have improved their AI or scripting at all in the last decade, it's a fucking lie.

:hmmm:

ZeniBot

Cipher
Real fucking great there. Kinda begs the question what the point of having like 5 merchants per city is if they all sell the same goddamn items.

Morrowind did similar things, basically its either for 2 reasons, 1. To fuel crafting/alchemy resources and 2. A means for players to sell loot. Other than that, the merchants are totally useless. Its just in Morrowind they'd reward you for looking for that particular merchant because it'd have some rares chucked in for good measure that were harder to find than other items, whereas in Oblivion it was pretty much everyone stocked the same shit because the game scaled.

For some reason Fallout 3 did this a bit better (though is offset by the ridiculous weight system)- with the exception of Megaton (which again was just a fucking loot sink). The merchants in Beths games are just an excuse to sell loot and provide a repeatable exploit for fueling the player's spending. Thing is that Quests already gave you more than enough money-- so its pretty pointless really to reward looting like that.

Xi

Arcane
The lack of static content makes the world feel fake. There's just no reason to look under a rock, or in a crevice, if there's not going to be the possibility of finding a unqiue item at some point.

Multi-headed Cow

Xi said:
The lack of static content makes the world feel fake. There's just no reason to look under a rock, or in a crevice, if there's not going to be the possibility of finding a unqiue item at some point.
Not sure if there's going to be as much of a lack of static content as in Oblivion or not. I didn't watch the whole 3 hours but I skipped around in it a bit and the dude didn't do a hell of a lot of dungeon delving. Fallout 3 was marginally better in that regard than Oblivion, so if they keep inclining past Fallout 3 that'd be nice.

Remember talking to a bro over IM back when I was playing Morrowind and we would give each other hints as to where to look for artifacts we found. That was fun. Plus crap like HOLY SHIT BRO I FOUND THIS CHEST LEVITATING OVER A POOL OF LAVA SO I FLEW OVER TO IT AND THERE WAS THIS BADASS HAMMER INSIDE!!!!

Sordid Jester

Educated
sea said:
Can't forget where he had to try and brawl that woman and his NPC follower kept running in to smack her down with an axe, kill her and fail the quest. Durp.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
ZeniBot said:
Real fucking great there. Kinda begs the question what the point of having like 5 merchants per city is if they all sell the same goddamn items.

Morrowind did similar things, basically its either for 2 reasons, 1. To fuel crafting/alchemy resources and 2. A means for players to sell loot. Other than that, the merchants are totally useless. Its just in Morrowind they'd reward you for looking for that particular merchant because it'd have some rares chucked in for good measure that were harder to find than other items, whereas in Oblivion it was pretty much everyone stocked the same shit because the game scaled.

For some reason Fallout 3 did this a bit better (though is offset by the ridiculous weight system)- with the exception of Megaton (which again was just a fucking loot sink). The merchants in Beths games are just an excuse to sell loot and provide a repeatable exploit for fueling the player's spending. Thing is that Quests already gave you more than enough money-- so its pretty pointless really to reward looting like that.

Fallout 3 had the same weight system as Fallout. And Oblivion stores had unique items too.

Mastermind said:
ZeniBot said:

Fallout 3 had the same weight system as Fallout. And Oblivion stores had unique items too.

Like that Bosmer in the Imperial City who sells Staffs. He had a unique staff that was pretty much broken in terms of power early game, and still a respectable emergency weapon in the later hours.

And the armor vendor across the street sells ebony gauntlets that gives 20-25% resistance to all elements, nullifying the altmer's suckage. Every merchant had an unique, and they were usually useful.

Jaesun said:
Trash said:

But that is Bethesda's target audience.

Reminds me of the girl that was confused because equipping Hide Armor didn't make her armor disappear. Todd admitted it was their fault, and not hers.

I can already see him scolding the rest of the team for making it possible to fail at lockpicking.

sea said:
There's some church/temple/whatever. The player runs in, looks around for 5 seconds, then opens the unlocked door into the crypt. Within a few seconds the player is being attacked by hostile, animate skeleton warriors wielding "ancient" swords in what is apparently a well-maintained, well-lit burial chamber.

Didn't Morrowind have that? The undead were guardians raised by whoever owns the place.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Clockwork Knight said:
Reminds me of the girl that was confused because equipping Hide Armor didn't make her armor disappear. Todd admitted it was their fault, and not hers.

I can already see him scolding the rest of the team for making it possible to fail at lockpicking.

:lol:

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:

I had a high school classmate who cast mass turn undead with his necromancer army once in a homm3 hotseat game

after our laughter he explained he thought the spell description saying it damaged undead meant it would hurt the live castle opponent troops since his skeletons and stuffies were 'dead' things, not 'un-dead'

oh english language

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
sgc_meltdown said:
Clockwork Knight said:

I had a high school classmate who cast mass turn undead with his necromancer army once in a homm3 hotseat game

after our laughter he explained he thought the spell description saying it damaged undead meant it would hurt the live castle opponent troops since his skeletons and stuffies were 'dead' things, not 'un-dead'

oh english language

He should be laughed at anyway just for using turn undead.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
After playing Battlefield 3 on high all I can say about Skyrim's graphics is that it looks crap. If you can't compete on photorealistic visuals because you're tied down by 10 year old console technology you should go for stylized graphics instead.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Spectacle said:
After playing Battlefield 3 on high all I can say about Skyrim's graphics is that it looks crap. If you can't compete on photorealistic visuals because you're tied down by 10 year old console technology you should go for stylized graphics instead.

da2_elf.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom