Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Silent Hill Announced

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
You guys read like those people who act two-soyjaks-and-veggie-nuggets.jpg over ring descriptions in dork souls.

Hell Swarm

Educated
Aside from being fabulously optimistic, I don't think they had anything to do with Outlast or Amnesia? Being good with "modern horror games" is also possibly not the metric to be looking for when it comes to reviving SH.
They didn't. I wasn't implying they did. They made one of the biggest modern horror games, which gives them credentials to make this.

I am a faggot
We know. You didn't have to spell it out that hard though.

GamerCat_

Educated
You guys read like those people who act two-soyjaks-and-veggie-nuggets.jpg over ring descriptions in dork souls.
Did you know half of the item descriptions in the Dark Souls we played were made up during localisation?

To a moron like you maybe all detail is just more data mass and so caring about any of it is equally pointless, but this is a discussion about artistic intent. Please stop being retarded.

GamerCat_

Educated

I am a faggot
a18.jpg

But sir, where are your arguments?

Hell Swarm

Educated

I am a faggot
a18.jpg

But sir, where are your arguments?
I made my arguments. Silent Hill 2 has a better cast with more relatable characters presenting a real world problem and addressing actual emotions adults would have had to deal with themselves. "My baby was stolen by a cult to summon a demon" and "I'm a cuck and now I'm dead so my stepdaughter is going to have an abortion" isn't relatable or interesting. You don't need to have been raped by your father to understand a parent betraying you or have to had killed your wife to understand how difficult it is to live with a terminal illness.

You should write more essays. It's funny how much you get wrong. You are literally a screaming child desperate for attention so you copy your youtube essays but don't have the balls to make videos so you do them as forum posts instead. It's not even effort posting, it's just verbal diarrhea and bitching about people having experiences you didn't and getting jealous.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
First time I see someone praising SH1/3 for the story when compared to SH2. SH1/3 had better environments and more environmental hostility, which worked better for a horror game, but the stories themselves were just standard weirdo Japanese horror stuff. You could make an anime out of them. Their depth is as deep as deep you could make an occultism theme, and do not really touch the psychology beyond that.

Hell Swarm

Educated
First time I see someone praising SH1/3 for the story when compared to SH2. SH1/3 had better environments and more environmental hostility, which worked better for a horror game, but the stories themselves were just standard weirdo Japanese horror stuff. You could make an anime out of them. Their depth is as deep as deep you could make an occultism theme, and do not really touch the psychology beyond that.
Silent Hill 4 really nails the environmental hostility. Of all the SH games it's the one that feels most threatening no matter where you are. It's one of it's biggest pacing flaws because the threat really backs off when you never get a break from it. But each time you go to a new location you're immediately back on edge.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Silent Hill should go back to cults and other anime stuff instead of doing this gay Lost Highway ripoff psychological horror shit with protagonists being sinners with repressed memories or whatever the fuck.

Or better yet, Silent Hill should stay dead. You just can't go back to something like this, not in this day and age, not with konami at the helm and polaks doing the heavy lifting.

Saldrone

Novice
Silent Hill should go back to cults and other anime stuff instead of doing this gay Lost Highway ripoff psychological horror shit with protagonists being sinners with repressed memories or whatever the fuck.
Agree. The fact that Silent Hill is mostly about a cult called "The Order" instead of dealing about "Personal trauma/demons" is something that normies don't catch on and that's probably why Silent Hill 1 never got a remake

Hell Swarm

Educated
Silent Hill 1 never got a remake

Shattered memories was the remake of 1. It takes it in a different direction but it's the original reimagined. If Tomb Raider anniversary counts then shattered memories should too.

Saldrone

Novice

Shattered memories was the remake of 1. It takes it in a different direction but it's the original reimagined. If Tomb Raider anniversary counts then shattered memories should too.

I'am sorry but i don't think that a "reimagined" spin-off like that is a proper remake. What i meant is Silent Hill 1 with better technical capabilities

Hell Swarm

Educated

I'am sorry but i don't think that a "reimagined" spin-off like that is a proper remake. What i meant is Silent Hill 1 with better technical capabilities

I agree with you but it is a remake. It's hard to see SH2 remake as being the same game as SH2 original. The game play is going to be wildly different.

911 Jumper

Educated
Silent Hill 2 Remake ESRB Rating Highlights Sexual Themes, Violence, and Playable Weapons

Rating Summary
This is a horror adventure game in which players assume the role of a man returning to a mysterious town while being tormented by his past. From a third-person perspective, players explore the town of Silent Hill, interact with characters, and battle humans and creatures (e.g., Pyramid Head, mannequins, monsters). Players use pistols, shotguns, rifles, and knives to kill enemies. Combat is highlighted by realistic gunfire, cries of pain, and blood-splatter effects. Some environments depict large bloodstains and/or intestines/organs on walls, floors, and surrounding bodies. Cutscenes and illustrations depict further instances of violence and/or blood and gore: characters impaled; a character suffocated to death with a pillow; enemies with body parts sewn together. The game contains some suggestive/sexual material: characters pole-dancing in strip-club settings; posters of women in revealing outfits (e.g., bra and thong, deep cleavage); dialogue alluding to sexuality and/or sexual abuse/misconduct (e.g., “Remember that time in the hotel? You said you took everything. But you forgot that videotape we made”; “Don’t touch me…You’re only after one thing…Or you could just force me, like he always did.”). The word “sh*t” appears in the game.
zF07iLy.png

Source: Twisted Voxel

Reever

Scholar
Patron
You don't need to have been raped by your father to understand a parent betraying you or have to had killed your wife to understand how difficult it is to live with a terminal illness.
You also don't need to have lost your father to understand Heather's grief or her desire to have revenge. Be a teenager to understand her identity issues and so on.
Or at least I thought so until I found the internet. Apparently everyone thinks SH3 is about puking a god.

Hell Swarm

Educated
You don't need to have been raped by your father to understand a parent betraying you or have to had killed your wife to understand how difficult it is to live with a terminal illness.
You also don't need to have lost your father to understand Heather's grief or her desire to have revenge. Be a teenager to understand her identity issues and so on.
Or at least I thought so until I found the internet. Apparently everyone thinks SH3 is about puking a god.
SH3's problem is it's not Heather's story. She is bland and pushed as the central focus but she bounces between cut scenes without ever really evolving or changing. She's a brat at the start and her wanting revenge doesn't change her personality or evolve the identity issues. Part of the problem is SH3 is a woman's story about a woman and women are inherently fucking boring creatures. The most interesting part of SH3 is the librarian guy saying the monsters might look different to other people but it's never built on or goes any where. So you're left with bland, ugly teenage girl and dumb cult no one cares about because it's stupid.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
SH3's problem is it's not Heather's story. She is bland and pushed as the central focus but she bounces between cut scenes without ever really evolving or changing. She's a brat at the start and her wanting revenge doesn't change her personality or evolve the identity issues. Part of the problem is SH3 is a woman's story about a woman and women are inherently fucking boring creatures. The most interesting part of SH3 is the librarian guy saying the monsters might look different to other people but it's never built on or goes any where. So you're left with bland, ugly teenage girl and dumb cult no one cares about because it's stupid.
ill get you for this :mad:

Ash

Arcane

Of course, then if you actually play the game, your encounters with pyramid head are less interesting than seeing him in pictures and trailers, and if you're coming later, he's also less interesting than how people hype him up online. He really does peak in this trailer, and ditto for virtually every element of SH2. The characters, their relationships and interactions, the aesthetic experience of the town as presented in this game. Silent Hill 2 works better as a music video and meme than a game.

Silent Hill 1 and 3 have aesthetic direction and narratives that are very violent and hostile, so they're able to integrate video game conventions fairly well. You spend a lot of time thinking and trying not to die, wandering around and killing things, but it works there in ways it doesn't in 2. The places you're in are far more interesting and justified by the events of the narrative, while in 2 it feels like they just wanted you to do a sufficient number of things before the ending. All of the original Silent Hill games have brilliant drive, vision, and ideas behind them, and are made out of brilliant parts. But they fail to come together in 2. The way for 2 to work I believe would have been to go all in on the artfag angle and have like an hour of game stuff over the whole thing and just make it a game about wandering around, watching cutscenes, looking at stuff and hearing nice music, then it ends in like four hours at the most.

Fucking BASED! Sometimes you say the right things.

Lol @ Hellswarm and his "adult" emotions. Gotta love the delicious pseudo-intellectualism! As I've mentioned before, guilt is BY FAR the weakest human emotion. If this were not true the world would be a far better place. So even the deeper meaning and basis of the entire plot is fucking retarded. Lol. So very "adult". Know anyone that did a bad thing (we all have) and went into a psychotic spiral of guilt? Me neither. We're all ME ME ME by nature. When was the last time you heard of anyone doing anything major inspired by guilt? Only in fiction.

Silent Hill 1 is the better game in every way. Except graphics but it barely matters, and even often works in its favor (surrealism and abstraction- looks like our world and yet not quite at all. Twisted and weird).

Never got too far in 3. Seemed rather derivative, more of the same, but at least getting back on track. Ultimately I have no valid opinion of it beyond the train station though. The level design here was utterly boring (it's a goddamn train station. Poor choice from a gameplay perspective) and I just wasn't in the mood. The carnival level was a fairly good intro but added an unnecessary tonal backdrop of flippancy to it. They're places of laughter and childish fun, so it felt weird to me in a way that...may be unwarranted/largely subjecive. Silent Hill 1 absolutely nails the overall concept so what is even the point anyway when this isn't offering anything new, but inferior, so far? I'd return for a sequel if it complicates the gameplay some more, making it even more oppressive and engaging perhaps (inventory management, ink ribbons and resource scarcity like Resident Evil, for instance).

TR anniversary, like possibly every remake in existence, is total shit and does not count.

Last edited:

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
Lol @ Hellswarm and his "adult" emotions. As I've mentioned before, guilt is BY FAR the weakest human emotion. If this were not true the world would be a far better place. So even the deeper meaning and basis of the entire plot is fucking retarded. Lol. So very "adult". Know anyone that did a bad thing (we all have) and went into a psychotic spiral of guilt? Me neither. We're all ME ME ME by nature.
What the fuck 'bad' things have you ever done? Called someone a nigger? What do you know.

jaekl

Educated
Patron
Lol @ Hellswarm and his "adult" emotions. As I've mentioned before, guilt is BY FAR the weakest human emotion. If this were not true the world would be a far better place. So even the deeper meaning and basis of the entire plot is fucking retarded. Lol. So very "adult". Know anyone that did a bad thing (we all have) and went into a psychotic spiral of guilt? Me neither. We're all ME ME ME by nature.
What the fuck 'bad' things have you ever done? Called someone a nigger? What do you know.
Excuse me but that's a serious hate crime, one of the most heinous crimes known to man, so he probably feels way more guilty than any silent hill protagonist did

Hell Swarm

Educated
The guilt I was talking about wasn't James guilt you small brained waste of semen. Mary's guilt in being sick is something very rarely done well in games. The way most media portrays chronic illness or terminal illness is on par with women power bombing 300 pound men in action movies. Silent Hill handles Mary's guilt pitch perfect. She's not at fault for being ill (she can't help it) and James is not at fault either, but both of them have to suffer and feel guilty for something out of their control. James feels guilty he wants more from life than his dying wife can offer and ultimately makes a decision to end his and/or her suffering. While Mary feels guilt she's torturing her husband emotionally and neither of them can even speak to each other about it because both see the other is suffering enough already and doesn't want to share their pain and add to the pile on the other. It's an intensely intimate problem that's very hard to express in media because media thrives on big dramatic moments and lots of tears. While Mary's letter really breaks down how she feels and what she always needed to express but couldn't. This is something many seriously ill people struggle with and it's presented respectfully but also accurately.

Feeling guilty you stole something as a child or called someone a nigger (you shouldn't) is nothing like feeling you're a burden on the people you love through no fault of your own or any one else. You can always stop calling someone a nigger, but when you're put into a serious health situation you can't resolve and you're struggling to keep your head above water guilt becomes a completely different beast. You going "lol guilts for pussies" is exactly the point I was making about adult emotions. It's easy to be the internet tough guy laughing at others feeling guilty until you spend six months being unable to do anything but walk to the bathroom and back while you're taken care of by your family and know this is your life now and you will always be a burden holding them back. You will never be a whole person again, you will always hold everyone around you back unless you drop dead and also know if you dropped dead it would hurt them too. Feeling guilty you're alive and guilty if you wish you were dead and there's no one to blame, no monster to battle, no solution. You're just a fucked up cripple who leeches off everyone around you and you can't even convince them you're not worth wasting their time on because they care for you too much to give up on you.

So yea. Silent hill 2 makes an absolute fucking joke of Silent Hill 3's zany Japanese occult bullshit. One is a story with multiple complex layers and stories relating to real world situations. The other is a bitchy cunt fights monsters while every cut scene rants about stuff none of the games tell you shit about because it's all in guide books or wikis. Heather's 'revenge' is barely part of the overall story and despite Silent Hill 3 having some great set pieces, it's clearly the least interesting of the original 4 because it's the end of a trilogy of games and has no identity of it's own (SH1 sequel) and nothing original to bring to the table. Even SH4 is a better game than 3 is despite having more flaws because it's not just SH1 2 electric boogaloo.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
The guilt I was talking about wasn't James guilt you small brained waste of semen. Mary's guilt in being sick is something very rarely done well in games. The way most media portrays chronic illness or terminal illness is on par with women power bombing 300 pound men in action movies. Silent Hill handles Mary's guilt pitch perfect. She's not at fault for being ill (she can't help it) and James is not at fault either, but both of them have to suffer and feel guilty for something out of their control. James feels guilty he wants more from life than his dying wife can offer and ultimately makes a decision to end his and/or her suffering. While Mary feels guilt she's torturing her husband emotionally and neither of them can even speak to each other about it because both see the other is suffering enough already and doesn't want to share their pain and add to the pile on the other. It's an intensely intimate problem that's very hard to express in media because media thrives on big dramatic moments and lots of tears. While Mary's letter really breaks down how she feels and what she always needed to express but couldn't. This is something many seriously ill people struggle with and it's presented respectfully but also accurately.

Feeling guilty you stole something as a child or called someone a nigger (you shouldn't) is nothing like feeling you're a burden on the people you love through no fault of your own or any one else. You can always stop calling someone a nigger, but when you're put into a serious health situation you can't resolve and you're struggling to keep your head above water guilt becomes a completely different beast. You going "lol guilts for pussies" is exactly the point I was making about adult emotions. It's easy to be the internet tough guy laughing at others feeling guilty until you spend six months being unable to do anything but walk to the bathroom and back while you're taken care of by your family and know this is your life now and you will always be a burden holding them back. You will never be a whole person again, you will always hold everyone around you back unless you drop dead and also know if you dropped dead it would hurt them too. Feeling guilty you're alive and guilty if you wish you were dead and there's no one to blame, no monster to battle, no solution. You're just a fucked up cripple who leeches off everyone around you and you can't even convince them you're not worth wasting their time on because they care for you too much to give up on you.

So yea. Silent hill 2 makes an absolute fucking joke of Silent Hill 3's zany Japanese occult bullshit. One is a story with multiple complex layers and stories relating to real world situations. The other is a bitchy cunt fights monsters while every cut scene rants about stuff none of the games tell you shit about because it's all in guide books or wikis. Heather's 'revenge' is barely part of the overall story and despite Silent Hill 3 having some great set pieces, it's clearly the least interesting of the original 4 because it's the end of a trilogy of games and has no identity of it's own (SH1 sequel) and nothing original to bring to the table. Even SH4 is a better game than 3 is despite having more flaws because it's not just SH1 2 electric boogaloo.
I'm guilty of not reading your poast cuz I don't care. SH3 is lacking but what's there isn't bad. all yall shaddap nao lmao

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom