Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News New rumor: Microsoft finally bought Bioware

triCritical

Erudite
Uh, M$ is a public company, they would not be allowed to buy something without alerting the SEC, and the public immediately. If the M$ actually did buy Bioware, we would already know.

Rosh

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
Rosh said:
However, we all know that BioWare is DirectX's bitch, now likely even moreso.

NWN was OpenGL, though. Assuming they coded it with porting in mind, there's really no reason it should have taken so long to make the linux client.

That was pretty much my point. Who uses a codebase where you can have cross-platform capability, but decides to stick to the wholly Windows libraries? Only someone who had a lip-lock on DirectX for too long. If their programmers were anywhere near competent or bright (HAHAHAHAHA!), they would figure to assemble it into neutrally programmed parts with anything platform-dependent out on the surface of the engine (graphics) or in its own section (memory management). That way they don't have to go digging back through to do a Frankenstien job. It was obviously a mess after 5 years of development, with the bugs and sleazy hacks you'd notice most with the tools.

But then again, look at whom we're talking about, and they still cannot implement pathfinding worth a damn.

Spazmo

Erudite
Rosh, given what a mess NWN was (and still is) with all the broken rules and the nasty memory leak is it at all surprising that they're unable to make a decent port? If they can't get it right in its native environment, they have no hope anywhere else.

Rosh

Erudite
I know, but it's fun watching the kids fail on their claims like that and then suck themselves off as gods in interviews. It says quite well, "primadonnas".

Astromarine

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
This is funny

Some fucking moron said:
Yesterday, we informed you that there was a possibility that Microsoft was going to buyout BioWare, the developers of Star Wars: KOTOR, the Dark Alliance games, and the upcoming Jade Empire. While it seems the transaction already may have been done, rumors speculate nothing will have been heard until this years E3. Well, the Edmonton, Alberta based developer has spoke out today on these rumors. A unanimous BioWare employee stated, "To us, it's really thin air," meaning that these rumors are pretty much false, yet there is still a slight possibility that it can be true.

While BioWare does love developing on the Xbox platform, it looks like they will not be bought out. However, do not doubt Microsoft, they were able to bring in high quality developers, such as Bungie and Rare. Which also could leave us with a controversy. Before Rare was bought by Microsoft, they were an active developer on Nintendo's platforms [especially the N64]. But since the buyout, we have seen nothing but one mediocre game come out of the studio. While they do have big plans for the Xbox, when we will see them? We hope for at least one more game before the end of 2004. While Bungie has also only released one game for the Xbox, they do have some exceptions. For one, their staff is much smaller than what it is at Rare, and at least Bungie's only Xbox game was a damn fine game, Rare's Grabbed by the Ghoulies would only appeal to those who are below the age of 15.

But to get back to the subject at hand, the final verdict about this whole Microsoft-BioWare thing is that we will have to wait until E3. Stay tuned for more.
A Bio employee said something, so the rumors are false. Although they could be true. Bio wouldn't be bought out. Unless of course Microsoft will buy them. But you never know. That's why you have to visit our site. We'll help you figure it out. Or not. Either way. :lol:

A UNANIMOUS employee, no less. How definite can you get?

Rosh

Erudite
I find it quite odd to call a game studio "independent" when they are suckling on someone else's tit and plan on doing it for awhile. :twisted:

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
I like that the guy debunking the rumour on their forums is the QA Guy. You know, the guy responsible for important decisions such as.... wait, do QA guys get to make ANY decisions?

Seven

Erudite
Rosh said:
Or like someone wiped their ass on the monitor.

Well unless their was bleeding at the time...

In the same vein of thought, why would they use such a logo, it's just completely nonsensical.

Spazmo

Erudite
Killzig said:
I like that the guy debunking the rumour on their forums is the QA Guy. You know, the guy responsible for important decisions such as.... wait, do QA guys get to make ANY decisions?

Well, if you're talking BIS, they usually got to be lead designers within a couple months.

Rosh

Erudite
Seven said:
Well unless their was bleeding at the time...

Ahhh, mind control is good. I made you think about that. :twisted:

DemonKing

Arcane
suibhne said:
A bit OT, maybe, but this is a misapprehension that I'm tired of seeing inanely repeated. I sympathize with your frustration about WotC churning out useless supplements, but the complaint about 3.5E is groundless; none of the PnPers I know have bothered to buy 3.5E books, but many of them have switched to 3.5E by using the online SRD. You're not EXPECTED to pay for new rulebooks, DK. ALL of the new rules are available online, for FREE.

Not strictly true - I recently purchased the latest ´Dungeon/Dragon mags with the Dark Sun 3.5 Ed. rules in them only to be annoyed by constant references to the "Expanded Psionics Handbook" for classes/races.

Now I have the original Psionics Handbook but nowhere in the current SRD is essential stuff on the new races (eg Half-Giant, Elan, Meand) and psionic classes (eg Wilder) that I would need to play a DS game.

Now hopefully they will update the SRD, but it is still annoying...and a lot of casual players won't even have a clue that the SRD is available, as it is pretty well hidden on Wizard's site.

In any case, you can't deny that WOTC selling D%D to Hasbro has royally screwed D&D CRPGs given that they are no longer able to depict realistic parts of medieval life such as brothels and small children (although mysteriously, gay pirates are ok).

Voss

Erudite
Yes, my god. The whole genre is *ruined* without brothels and small children
Lo, it is the end times!
Yay, bring me your small puppies, and kitty-cats, and assorted other cute things so that I might slay them, and then devour your souls!
My character can't get laid or slaughter children... the suspension of disbelief is gone. They've murdered me! You bastards!

:roll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom