Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New open world mmo kickstarter: Ashes of Creation

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I'm eating my crow right now.

Asmon is having a long conversation with someone who is "Lead Dev", and the guy is talking about the game for hours now. You can rewatch it later.
They hired good programmers and solved the main problems of running an MMO on ue4, leveraging replication graphs (it allows smart network culling), implementing seamless travel between server nodes. Good for them.

Interesting takeaways for me:
- A player killing system that allows consensual PK with loot drop, but no loot drop if being ganked, with PK timer that reduces when you gain XP.
- Guilds can level up and either spend the guild points on having special skills for members, or to increase guild size.
- Some mechanic for laying siege to guild castles or something. Then in X hours, the battle begins and everyone has a chance to bring all their forces.
- Items suffer decay. You can destroy other items to get base materials and delay the decay. Or something like that.
- No class dependent gear.
- Most gear is not soul bound.
- Caravans and incentive to transport shit from one part of the world to another.

Alpha soon. I'll try to get my hands on it. I haven't been excited for an MMO since forever.

P.S.
Was right about this though:
I'd say realistic delivery 2020, not 2018.

Last edited:

Generic-Giant-Spider

If this game doesn't turn out to be total shit I will light myself on fire, Steve Austin.

Myobi

Liturgist
Ah yes, another open-world MMORPG "just-like-real-life" fantasy game kickstarter.

...even if the damn thing is 100% legit, is just so hard to take it serious at this point.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Ah yes, another bitter-jaded-tired-gamer giving opinions on things he is too jaded to have opinions on.
I'm cautiously optimistic bout this one. Last time I was excited for an MMORPG was Guild Wars 2. This has me going.

Myobi

Liturgist
Ah yes, another bitter-jaded-tired-gamer giving opinions on things he is too jaded to have opinions on.

Oh please, do remind me... how many successful real MMORPGs came out from Kickstarter to this point?

Is there even a single one that isn't stuck on "Still in Development" that didn't turned out to be a scam?

Let's face it... MMORPG's are the most complex and expensive video game genre out there, so much that even big experienced and well-established companies dropped the ball at, thus why now many just avoid the genre like the fucking plague.

Meanwhile, I'm the "bitter", "jaded", "tired" gamer just for saying that this sort of project is hard to take serious anymore... especially when it comes from a developer that has released.... ahhh....

Sem-T-tulo.jpg

...yeah dude... I don't know... but your nickname sure as hell is starting to make sense now.

ADL

Prophet
Most of them were funded in 2013-2015 meaning they're within the time frame of what a modern MMO takes to make.
For the sake of being reasonable, add a year to get an office and staff up since these prototypes were made in a garage by five people or less. Give them another 6 months to offset remote development because COVID fucked everything up.

A game like Crowfall (2015) releasing next year or the year after seems both plausible and reasonable. Ashes of Creation 2022/2023. Camelot Unchained? Who fucking knows.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Oh please, do remind me... how many successful real MMORPGs came out from Kickstarter to this point?
Your logic is flawed.
How many dicks did you take up your ass in your life? None? That doesn't mean you can't take a dozen.
Previous experience of something was a strong argument in medieval times when they only relied on empiric knowledge, and rejected all theoretic knowledge. You are 650 years retarded.

Myobi

Liturgist
Most of them were funded in 2013-2015 meaning they're within the time frame of what a modern MMO takes to make.
For the sake of being reasonable, add a year to get an office and staff up since these prototypes were made in a garage by five people or less. Give them another 6 months to offset remote development because COVID fucked everything up.

A game like Crowfall (2015) releasing next year or the year after seems both plausible and reasonable. Ashes of Creation 2022/2023. Camelot Unchained? Who fucking knows.

Sure dude, I'll give you as many years as you want.

Still doesn't change the fact that Kickstarter has been around since 2009 and we still got nothing (as far as I'm aware).

... and knowing how this works, I guess I should state that I am NOT denying the possibility of a decent MMORPG coming out of it eventually.

I'll repeat, even if the damn thing is 100% legit, is just so hard to take it serious at this point... just for the sheer amount of rotten apples in the bunch alone.

Your logic is flawed.
How many dicks did you take up your ass in your life? None? That doesn't mean you can't take a dozen.
Previous experience of something was a strong argument in medieval times when they only relied on empiric knowledge, and rejected all theoretic knowledge. You are 650 years retarded.

That would be true if my point was that no MMORPG can come out of Kickstarter.

... which was not. However, if your true interest lies in how many dicks you can fit inside a human ass, instead of wasting my time, I highly recommend you just talking to your mother about it, she should have all the empiric and theoretic knowledge you require.

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
Bester
Dude took the time to sum the features so far and what is planned. Its looking bloody good.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
darkfall but with worse combat
I didn't play Darkfall a lot, but the combat seemed horrible. Reminded me of Morrowind, with a twist: mobs strafed to avoid being hit. It was surrealistically bad.

My video card couldn't handle the shadows in Darkfall when it first released. And when I tried it a few years later, it was dead.

ADL

Prophet
Darkfall was a PvP gankbox piece of shit where people jerked themselves off over who was the most "hardcore" until everyone else left.
How do you connect that to Ashes of Creation which is almost entirely PvE? Genuinely curious.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
How do you connect that to Ashes of Creation which is almost entirely PvE? Genuinely curious.
It's not "almost entirely pve", it's supposed to be for all types of players. Here's its pvp system in a nutshell. Corrupted guys drop loot and lose more XP on death.

Though I do wonder what's the insentive for pvp between combatants if there's no loot drop. It's not been explained yet.

e1281d350b2201d96624767721f85782.png

Myobi

Liturgist
Sooooo long story short... Lineage 2 PvP system, a PvP gankbox derp derp ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The generic MMO pvp "baddie" marking system can only mean three things:
A) The non-node-PVP is completely dead, in which case everyone brings up the question of why the developers even bothered/bother with it
B) The non-node-PVP scene is entirely composed of the non-combatants and self-defense combatants getting dicked by every ruise and "clever" abuse of the mechanics, forcing them to become a pile of bones or a corrupted pile of bones with their hard earned loot on the ground
C) The developers have managed to fix both of these issues and are celestial beings with an IQ higher than any possible number I could write on this board, and are wasting their time with creating an MMORPG

Aside from that, I'm looking forward to see what happens to the game considering it seems to share a lot of concepts as Albion Online, but without the whole "built for phones" concept

Alphard

Magister
The generic MMO pvp "baddie" marking system can only mean three things:
A) The non-node-PVP is completely dead, in which case everyone brings up the question of why the developers even bothered/bother with it
B) The non-node-PVP scene is entirely composed of the non-combatants and self-defense combatants getting dicked by every ruise and "clever" abuse of the mechanics, forcing them to become a pile of bones or a corrupted pile of bones with their hard earned loot on the ground
C) The developers have managed to fix both of these issues and are celestial beings with an IQ higher than any possible number I could write on this board, and are wasting their time with creating an MMORPG

Aside from that, I'm looking forward to see what happens to the game considering it seems to share a lot of concepts as Albion Online, but without the whole "built for phones" concept

A) if there are some reward for open pvp people will flag as combatant and regularly pvp as intended
B) idk how one could abuse the system if there are no glitches. Corrupted will be very few and will not last long. Even if you are the most skilled player on universe, the whole worrld will unt you down. I think there will be even a marker on map signaling the location of corrupteds for bounty hunters. Unless some big chinese guild goes rogue and decides to go corrupted and kill every player, there is no incentive in doing so, it's not a full loot game and they will be stripped by all their gear by other coalized guilds

That said, i'm hyped but also skeptical. There are a lot of ambitious features they want to achieve and i'm sure they will not deliver everything, but if they manage to finish in a working state the core features, this will be an interesting game and quite a revolutionary one

A) if there are some reward for open pvp people will flag as combatant and regularly pvp as intended
If there are rewards for open pvp that does NOT include only your enemies equipment/gold, then people will monetize or create farms for "open pvp" because there is no loss or risk, only gain.
B) idk how one could abuse the system if there are no glitches. Corrupted will be very few and will not last long. Even if you are the most skilled player on universe, the whole worrld will unt you down. I think there will be even a marker on map signaling the location of corrupteds for bounty hunters. Unless some big chinese guild goes rogue and decides to go corrupted and kill every player, there is no incentive in doing so, it's not a full loot game and they will be stripped by all their gear by other coalized guilds
You don't need glitches to abuse a system that has been tried and tested multiple times (to be a piece of shit) throughout the years that MMOs have lived, all you need is creativity and some understanding of the game.

I was writing a few examples here, but I scrolled up and realized that there is no reason to even point anything out when the core PVP system itself is beyond all levels of dumbfuckery and gankboxery: Any attempt to defend yourself even in a 1-on-1 fair fight means that you are turned into a Combatant, allowing anyone from super high levels to roaming gangbang gankbox guilds to fuck you up with 0 consequences and if you don't fight back, you'll just be bullied for an eternity.

Alphard

Magister
If there are rewards for open pvp that does NOT include only your enemies equipment/gold, then people will monetize or create farms for "open pvp" because there is no loss or risk, only gain.

Unless they implement a fame system, where you gain fame as you win more duels and lose as you are killed. Then just make tiers of fame and add cosmetics for each tier. Unique cosmetic > random gear as incentive

You don't need glitches to abuse a system that has been tried and tested multiple times (to be a piece of shit) throughout the years that MMOs have lived, all you need is creativity and some understanding of the game.

I was writing a few examples here, but I scrolled up and realized that there is no reason to even point anything out when the core PVP system itself is beyond all levels of dumbfuckery and gankboxery: Any attempt to defend yourself even in a 1-on-1 fair fight means that you are turned into a Combatant, allowing anyone from super high levels to roaming gangbang gankbox guilds to fuck you up with 0 consequences and if you don't fight back, you'll just be bullied for an eternity.

Just make so that if you are attacked first by a non combatant or combatant and kill them in self defense, you don't turn combatant. Then make level tiers so that if a combatant attacks and kills another combatant 5 levels below him, he becomes corrupted instead. All problem solved with easy workarounds

Last edited:

Dalamar

Barely Literate
Name reserves for the low low price of hundreds of dollars is totally inspiring given their rep :roll:

Codex Year of the Donut
if it's meant to appeal to WoW fans then it's probably garbage

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom