Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Old Republic Trailer!

bat_boro

Arcane
AndhairaX said:
I wonder if Dgaider will write a book based on the game.

And feel the Force he did.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Jedi are pacifists"

No, they aren't. Did you watch the movies? Your defintion of pacifist is very weird. Pacifists don't usually carry around deadly weapons, and train themselves in fighting techniques. :roll:

Silellak

Cipher
Volourn said:
"Jedi are pacifists"

No, they aren't. Did you watch the movies? Your defintion of pacifist is very weird. Pacifists don't usually carry around deadly weapons, and train themselves in fighting techniques. :roll:

Because the Star Wars universe is oh-so internally consistent. Especially the prequels!

But yes, you are right, pacifist is not the right word for their Order. In general, the Jedi Order were a bunch of fucking hypocrites, and pretty much deserved their fate in Episode 3.

felicity

Scholar
Pacifist =/= defenseless. Shaolin monks are pacifists, they carry around deadly weapons, and train themselves in fighting techniques. Pacifists believe violence should be the last resolution to problems. They don't go around killing and hunting for XP and LOOTZ.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
E3:
oldrepublic--article_image.jpg

Source
http://www.gamesradar.com/f/e3-09-grs-absurd-photo-diary/a-20090602105216581070

MetalCraze

Arcane
It is still amazing how Bioware fails at everything they touch. Even this SWTOR presentation is a failure with a retarded cosplay. Stupid kids will love it.

Shannow

Waster of Time
felicity said:
Pacifist =/= defenseless. Shaolin monks are pacifists, they carry around deadly weapons, and train themselves in fighting techniques. Pacifists believe violence should be the last resolution to problems. They don't go around killing and hunting for XP and LOOTZ.
Pacifists don't believe that fighting and especially war solve anything. That is why they don't fight. Jedi as well as shaolin monks are peace loving at best. Any claim to pacifism becomes hypocritical as soon as you strike another for whatever reason. The training and weapons can be excused with exercise but both fantasy jedi and real shaolin participated in warfare. If you want an example of a pacifist take Ghandi.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Pacifist =/= defenseless. Shaolin monks are pacifists, they carry around deadly weapons, and train themselves in fighting techniques. Pacifists believe violence should be the last resolution to problems. They don't go around killing and hunting for XP and LOOTZ."

No, they are not. Pacifism is about NON VIOLENCE. You cna't believe in non violence, and claim to be in non violence and then proceed to kungfu someone. That's not pacifism. That's hypocrisy.

Pacifism is NOT believing that violence should be a last resort. Pacifism is the absence of violence.

If you carry around 'deadly weapons' and have every intention to use them as a 'last resort' you are not a true pacifist. You are a fraud.

Kraszu

Prophet
Jedi didn't claim to be pacifist from what I recall. I was never much into SW so what makes Jedi a hypocrites?

Wyrmlord

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
It is still amazing how Bioware fails at everything they touch. Even this SWTOR presentation is a failure with a retarded cosplay. Stupid kids will love it.
Just think about it. Marilyn Manson. Now cosplay.

Something has gone wrong with the waters of Edmonton, Alberta, Canada recently. BioWare is sinking into deep decadence and self-parody. They wouldn't have done this stuff five years ago.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Kraszu said:
Jedi didn't claim to be pacifist from what I recall. I was never much into SW so what makes Jedi a hypocrites?

Before Sith reveals themselves in Mandalorian Wars
"we want to help but we think by observing and not taking action, it'll help more in the long run"

After Sith reveals themselves in KOTOR2
"we know best. Trust our wisdom. Do nothing for now. And we'll take away your force powers once again."

Shannow

Waster of Time
Kraszu said:
felicity said:
Jedi are pacifists, they don't go to "adventure" and slaughter as many creatures as possible.
Pacifist =/= defenseless. Shaolin monks are pacifists, they carry around deadly weapons, and train themselves in fighting techniques. Pacifists believe violence should be the last resolution to problems.

Felicity was the only one who claimed that. And that was because she(?) doesn't understand the concept of pacifism. We just pointed out that anybody who both claimed to be a pacifist and resorted to violence was a hypocrite and thus not a pacifist.
So I (probably "we") would never call jedi pacifists. And I don't remember them ever calling themselves pacifists. But if they did, they'd be hypocrites.
Clearer now? ;)

felicity

Scholar
I don't think the only pacifists are the ones that believe forces should absolutely never be used, it's fine if you disagree, but I don't want to argue about it.

Shannow said:
"X doesn't solve anything. That is why they don't do X."
I think you are trying to say that if one believe x doesn't solve anything, then he has no legitimate reason to do x, and shouldn't do it 'less he's a hypocrite, since pacifists believe x doesn't solve anything, therefore real pacifists never do x. Your logic presupposed that solving is the only legitmate reason to do something, which is a view that pacifists aren't obliged to adopt. I doubt they'd oppose to doctor giving aspirin to patients for example, even though it may not solve the root problem.

"Against violence" is general speaking. Violence means uncontrolled-force. "Against uncontrolled-force" is truism, this view is not a patent of pacifism.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom