Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New nvidia driver fries cards. 'nuff said.

sirfink

Scholar
This is why I stick to roguelikes.

Melcar

Arcane
Raghar said:
NVidia Linux driver has GL 3.2. Considering ATI backstabbed GL3 when GL3 was designed, and the result is a crippled version, it's no wonder ATI Linux drivers are lacking.

FGLRX does have OpenGL3.2 as of their 9.12 release (if I remember correctly, though it could have been 10.1). If OpenGL was "backstabbed" it was due to other factors and not ATI.

(Does ATI Linux driver support accelerated H264 rendering?)

FGLRX has XvBA for UVD2 based chips (and some older UVD chips are reported to work), which works with VA-API capable players (mplayer mostly, vlc more recently). According to AMD, XvBA is solely for their embedded segment (you can still use it since you just need a chip with UVD2), but they have expressed their intent to bring it to their desktop line if there is interest from users. It's "unofficial" at the moment, but it works and is available for users.

BTW what's strange about NVidia naming convention?

The problem was in their never ending SKUs for the 8800 line. It was rather confusing and sometimes outright deceptive. To be fair, ATI was at one point guilty of a similar thing (remember the x800 cards?). Nvidia seems to have finished that nonsense with their 2xx line, so that's good.

Nael

Arcane
World of Warcraft...? Graphically "intensive"?

I guess if your average player is online for 23 hours a day that could make sense, but cmon... I think my old Voodoo 3DFX card could probably run WoW.

Dny

Educated
Nvidia seems to have finished that nonsense with their 2xx line, so that's good.

No they didn't. They actually launched a 3xx line that's made up of rebranded 2xx with no high end cards in the line as of yet. And they won't stop until their vaporware, Fermi, turns into reality.

And I called it vaporware because they have been caught in a demonstration of that hardware.. that was faked.
http://www.semiaccurate.com/2009/10/01/ ... oards-gtc/

Nvidia fakes Fermi boards at GPU Technology Conference

WHAT DO YOU DO when you have a major conference planned to introduce a card, but you don't have a card? You fake it, and Nvidia did just that.

In a really pathetic display, Nvidia actually faked the introduction of its latest video card, because it simply doesn't have boards to show.

Melcar

Arcane
I meant specifically the tendency of coming out with a million +1 variations of the same card within the same family. They don't seem to be doing that anymore, settling with fewer cards and with clearly defined naming conventions. That they're repackaging their old shit and selling it as new is another deal. I cut them some slack given that the 3xx line are mobile parts, so as long as it runs cool and performs adequately you can't ask more of them given the fact that they are so fucked with The Fermi.

Dny

Educated
In NVIDIA's schedule the 3xx line should've been the one with the Fermi so the fact that they repackaged crap and created that "new" line before they had anything to sell makes them look like assholes.

Melcar

Arcane
No. They never officially labeled The Fermi with the 3xx tag. It was mostly journalists that fed those rumors as speculation over nvidia's next chip grew. No one knew for sure how The Fermi would be called so it was assumed that it will simply be the next number up. Looks weird to skip a number in their line (going from 2xx to 4xx), but the fact is that nvidia never disclosed the final name of their chip until recently and instead simply referred to it by its code name.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Nael said:
World of Warcraft...? Graphically "intensive"?

I guess if your average player is online for 23 hours a day that could make sense, but cmon... I think my old Voodoo 3DFX card could probably run WoW.

They've added a lot of enhancements and higher-res textures. WoW now has real shadows, including those of tree leaves overlayed on characters passing underneath. Similar to the effect in COD: Modern Warfare. That must require modern shaders.

WoW's graphical load also increases with maxing the draw distance quite a bit.

Raghar said:
BTW what's strange about NVidia naming convention?

8500 8 series low end segment
8600 8 series middle end segment
8800 8 series high end segment, and NVidia is not responsible for power consumption on release, and NVidia would replace chip on newly manufactured card by higher density as a bonus to future users when the manufacturing cost drops down.

9xxx the same applies for 9 series
9600 means a card about twice fast than 8600, it's guaranteed the chip would be manufactured by ?? nm at worst.
The fact that this logic works for the 9600/8600 does not make it work for the rest of the lineup. The 9800GT is not twice as fast as the 8800GT, in fact it's the same fucking card.

Destroid

Arcane
Tell you what, I wish I had purchased an 8800GTX back in the day when it was new, it's still faster than the 8800GT I use now, came out November 2006 and plays all modern games at decent settings (usually max).

Handy hint: When any new drivers/electronic equipment/patch/game comes out, don't be one of the first horses out of the traps. Let others do the testing for you.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
The Ninth Circle said:
The fact that this logic works for the 9600/8600 does not make it work for the rest of the lineup. The 9800GT is not twice as fast as the 8800GT, in fact it's the same fucking card.
NV 9800 is using chip of G9x series. It guarantees the manufacturing technology will not be worse than xx nm. In comparison to early 8800s that consumed 200+W, the 9800 is an energy preserving card.

Blame the lack of difference in speed to company wars, both of them threw high end segment to the masses and as result the next GFX cards didn't have massive speed improvements, the only reasonable improvements were in heat and energy consumptions. 9800 GX2 was the real descendant, however it required die shrink to avoid mishaps similar to early 8800 series cards.

CPU power is the most important, I wonder why majority of people rather invested into GFX card, than into quality CPU. ANNO1404, HOI3, other complex games require high CPU power.

relootz

Scholar
Black_Willow said:
News at eleven - NVIDIA drivers are crap. :smugATIowner:

i laughed. You never encountered the first good dx 9.0 card from ati did you, the 9700 pro?

Dny

Educated
relootz said:
Black_Willow said:

i laughed. You never encountered the first good dx 9.0 card from ati did you, the 9700 pro?

The "first good dx 9.0 card from ati" was the first good dx9 at all. All of the nvidia lineup at the time of the ATi 9700 sucked HARD COCKS in any game that took advantage of the dx9 feature set. Top of the Geforce FX line couldn't beat mainstream cards from ATi in newer games, it could only outperform the mainstream ATi on older games at high resolutions.

FFS Valve had to write Dx8 support in their source engine because of NVIDIA blowing dx9 support so hard and they weren't the only company to do so.

Black_Willow

Arcane
relootz said:
Black_Willow said:

No, I didn't, but I bought the first OMFG DX10!!1! card made by NVIDIA - GF 8600 GT. The initial drivers were so crappy, that I had to make an update as soon as newer ones were available. I tried to install them on the older drivers, just like I did when I owned Radeon 9600. That bad move made Mine Sweeper the only playable game on my computer. I cursed, uninstalled the older drivers and installed the new ones, and hoped for the best.

Hope is the mother of fools, and thanks to new drivers I weren't able to run Flash in Firefox 2 without constant crashes. Fuck you NVIDIA!!!

tl;dr NVIDIA's programists suck cocks on a daily basis.

relootz

Scholar
Dny said:
relootz said:
Black_Willow said:

The "first good dx 9.0 card from ati" was the first good dx9 at all. All of the nvidia lineup at the time of the ATi 9700 sucked HARD COCKS in any game that took advantage of the dx9 feature set. Top of the Geforce FX line couldn't beat mainstream cards from ATi in newer games, it could only outperform the mainstream ATi on older games at high resolutions.

FFS Valve had to write Dx8 support in their source engine because of NVIDIA blowing dx9 support so hard and they weren't the only company to do so.

Yes architecturarly it was a great card miles ahead of its competition. It was brilliant when it worked. WHEN it worked. The drivers were so bad, the 9700 pro crashed on EVERY 3d application. I am speaking from first hand experience here. I bought one close to the release and it was a monumental disaster.

Black_Willow said:
relootz said:
Black_Willow said:

No, I didn't, but I bought the first OMFG DX10!!1! card made by NVIDIA - GF 8600 GT. The initial drivers were so crappy, that I had to make an update as soon as newer ones were available. I tried to install them on the older drivers, just like I did when I owned Radeon 9600. That bad move made Mine Sweeper the only playable game on my computer. I cursed, uninstalled the older drivers and installed the new ones, and hoped for the best.

Hope is the mother of fools, and thanks to new drivers I weren't able to run Flash in Firefox 2 without constant crashes. Fuck you NVIDIA!!!

tl;dr NVIDIA's programists suck cocks on a daily basis.

Problems exist on both sides. I currently have an 5770 and i have the grey screen issue racofer described earlier in the thread. Luckely it only happens on cold boots, but it is still very annoying.

Cassidy

Arcane
The only time I ever installed different drivers from those that came with the GFX card CD was to downgrade them to a version that was more friendly to Dark Engine games because of System Shock 2, back when DDFix didn't exist.

You faggots choosing a company as if they are on your side are the reason why we get stuck with shit products. You guys are idiots. Each brand has had it's horrible launches, incomplete products and poor support. Nvidia has had shit drivers recently, most notably this snafu. ATI has had issues with drivers for a very long time, and still do, yet they don't fry their cards. Good? You guys sound like the dumbfucks on videocard forums.

MetalCraze

Arcane
relootz said:
I currently have an 5770 and i have the grey screen issue racofer described earlier in the thread.
You could've bought 4870 and it would work better for less money. I understand though why people buy new useless piece of shit even though 8800GTX/48xx is more than enough to run any game in existence at high or even highest settings. But really what's the point in buying 5xxx? They are absolutely useless

Melcar

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
relootz said:
I currently have an 5770 and i have the grey screen issue racofer described earlier in the thread.
You could've bought 4870 and it would work better for less money. I understand though why people buy new useless piece of shit even though 8800GTX/48xx is more than enough to run any game in existence at high or even highest settings. But really what's the point in buying 5xxx? They are absolutely useless

Both HD4870 and HD5770 cards can be had for similar prices and performs about the same. The HD5770 is smaller, runs cooler, and consumes less power, so if you're buying new you may as well go for that one.
If you currently got a HD4850/70, then there is honestly little point to "upgrade" since those cards can still drive any game and all they lack is DX11, which is useless for the time being. If you do want to upgrade for whatever reason, the only cards worth it if you're coming from the ones mentioned are the HD5850/70, because getting anything slower will make you a giant faggot.

MetalCraze

Arcane
all they lack is DX11, which is a hoax

Fix'd. Let them finish making DX10 first and finally show at least one demo where I can -see- it.
And nobody will see it until XBox 720 will come out with DX12 or whatever

The HD5770 is smaller, runs cooler, and consumes less power
If the cooling system is made by someone like ASUS you can count on your 5770 burning in it's own juice even before the warranty will run out. So it's all about cooling system in the end in any case. The difference in power isn't that much big either.
Now add to that that 5xxx series have fucked up 2D much like 8xxx and all above cards from nVidia which is a huge con.

Melcar

Arcane
Power consumption between the HD4870 and the HD5770 can be substantial. Not everyone cares, but for those that do it's a point of consideration. The HD5770 does run cooler even with the reference cooler. Smaller footprint as well, which is always a plus.
All current GPUs have issues with 2D acceleration. They all lack dedicated 2D hardware, so drivers play an even bigger part when it comes to 2D performance, and with the focus on 3D accel. regular 2D accel. has taken a back seat. Basically anything ATI HD2K upwards and anything nvidia 8xxx upwards will have "shitty" 2D. If you really want fast 2D then get some older shit. Besides, it isn't *that* bad and most of the commotion came from those bored nerds that had nothing better to do than to run some arbitrary 2D benchmarks.

ever

Scholar
Its not like newer intel chips i7s, even core2s need 2d acceleration at this point...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom