Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Mass Effect interview: Cap'n Shepard = Jack Bauer

DarkSign

Erudite
Yes, our biscuits are similar to savory scones, but hot and soft. Seriously, imagine the softest, butteriest, delicious bread you can think of and thats a biscuit.

biscuit - respelled early 19c. from bisket (16c.), ultimately (1330) from O.Fr. bescuit "twice cooked," alt. under infl. of O.It. biscotto, from M.L. biscoctum, from L. (panis) bis coctus "(bread) twice-baked."

cookie - 1703, Amer.Eng., from Du. koekje "little cake," dim. of koek "cake," from M.Du. koke (see cake).

so using the word cookie for something sweet makes a lot of sense actually.

You Brits have no right to criticize us. When I lived in Exeter I had spotted dick forced on me twice daily.

Fez

Erudite
Did they get the rape kit into you quick enough to get DNA evidence?

You probably shouldn't have kept picking up the soap, at least after the first day.

Fez

Erudite
I don't deny it. My blessing has been given to many fortunate souls.

suibhne

Erudite
Volourn said:
I gavce you my anecdotal evidence just as you have me yours. You claim that because it outsold two EXPANSIONS during one year that somehow makes it a success. You then make a claim that it sold 500+k copies with no actual proof. I also put forth the fact that outside of Bl which was already signed, Troika couldn't find any backers to even make another game. if TOEE was even remotely a success; I';m sure that at the very least Atari would have got them to do another or at least another minor publisher would take the bait. But, no........ Absolutely NOTHING.

You've presented zero evidence (and none of it "anecdotal", tho maybe that means something different in Canadia) except the fact that Troika went out of business. VD, myself, and others have quoted several pieces of evidence that sales were relatively decent. That said...can we know? Absolutely not. But is the weight of evidence on our side? Clearly, and you're being stupidly obstinate about it (tho it's actually kinda cute now that you're in drag <3).

As for Troika going out of business...the problem wasn't that they got no contracts on games in general, but rather that they got no contracts on role-playing games (and particularly on the turn-based top-down RPG they had in prototyping and were trying to sell to publishers). Do you see anybody else getting contracts for top-down TB RPGs? No. Could Bioware have even gotten the backing for such a project? Maybe, but I doubt it; they would've probably ended up self-funding instead. Bottom line: sure, you could argue that Troika's end-of-life proves ToEE was a commercial failure, but it's at least slightly more logical to argue that they set themselves up for failure (sad to say) but targeting a market where nobody (in NA, at least) is currently active. The fact that Troika had put most of its eggs into a top-down-TB--SF-RPG basket and was unable to get funding for that project (and somewhat narrowly missed shoehorning it into FO3)...well, that wouldn't be surprising even if ToEE had sold 750K copies.

Bottom line: you have approximately zero evidence and we have a little bit more (not a lot) - and our case, tho tenuous, is more logical than your r00fling foolishness anyway. :P

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Thanks to Sir Brennus: http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/static/ ... oEqUsh.php

In essence, shut the fuck up. 750k sales? 500k sales? STFU.

"But is the weight of evidence on our side?"

No, it isn't Unless you are a Troika fanboy.

"Could Bioware have even gotten the backing for such a project? Maybe, but I doubt it; they would've probably ended up self-funding instead."

Yo, dumbass, they've been self funding for years now. Theys elf fudned JE, ME, and DA. They a re likely sselffunding that MMORPG and handheld game as well. Unlike Troika who were fialures, BIO is such a success they don't need permission to make a game. R00fles! Though, in the famous words of Betehsda, "BIo will stick with what they are good at - RT games with stats."

"you have approximately zero evidence and we have a little bit more"

You have nothing; but wishful thinking. Morons.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I bow down to your superior knowledge of fast food KC!
Well, those were the only American places to eat. Back here in Jesusland I rarely eat fast food. Don't like all the grease (and they never get my order right because they hire neaderthals). I even use napkins on pizza, not obsessive-compulsive like but I get the top layer of grease off, and prefer cheeseless pizza where I can get it :S
King Comrade obviously hasn't been anywhere near the tri-state area if he thinks Anthony's Pizza is good.
Now that I think about it I always got breadsticks when we ate there.

suibhne

Erudite
Volourn said:
Thanks to Sir Brennus: http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/static/ ... oEqUsh.php

In essence, shut the fuck up. 750k sales? 500k sales? STFU.

I never claimed either 750K or 500K sales. I actually cited the "750K" figure as "OMG wild success". The fact that you so determinedly misunderstood my post suggests a severe deficit of reading comprehension - and it's just sad that you consistently base your puerile, hyperaggressive asshattery on such lack of comprehension.

Actually, that figure quoted from GameDaily seems to support what we're saying: ToEE sold reasonably well (with sales of $5.2 million, which means - conservatively - maybe $1-2 million in profit [for Atari] once you pay off the development and marketing). ebon called it a miserable failure ("It tanked. Horribly."), and that's obviously not the case.

"Could Bioware have even gotten the backing for such a project? Maybe, but I doubt it; they would've probably ended up self-funding instead."

Yo, dumbass, they've been self funding for years now.

Yo, dumbass, I never said they weren't. You misread my message yet again: part of my point was that self-funding is an option for Bioware but was not for Troika. Respond to the points I've made, not the points you make up and attempt to shove down my throat. And try to do it without being too much of an asshat, or the pretty princess will cry tears of self-recrimination.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"ToEE sold reasonably well (with sales of $5.2 million"

L0L TOEE took nearly 2 years to make. I'm sure Troika saw very little of any profit. Though, it should be noted these are NA numbers though I doubt European numbers improve it much.

TOEE was a failure. All their games were except maybe Arcanum.

Troika's games sold poorly. Deal with it.

"And try to do it without being too much of an asshat"

Says the one who came busting in witht eh isnults.

Face it, you are a joke. You continually dfeend Troika and their game as a success depsite evidence after evidence of that being a bullshit. If they were a success, they'd actually still be in business.

You have given ZERO evidence of them being successful. I have given TONS of evdience they weren't. Poor sales, out of business, no publishers wanting to touch them, etc., etc.

The only thing you got is a quote from a Troikan who claims that Troika games sold ok years after the fact when SALES DON'T MATTER NO MORE since sales only really matter in the first few months of release. Uhuh.

Game over, FANBOY, game over.

suibhne

Erudite
Volourn said:
"ToEE sold reasonably well (with sales of $5.2 million"

L0L TOEE took nearly 2 years to make. I'm sure Troika saw very little of any profit. Though, it should be noted these are NA numbers though I doubt European numbers improve it much.

TOEE was a failure. All their games were except maybe Arcanum.

Troika's games sold poorly. Deal with it.

Sold poorly compared to what? Warcraft 3? HL2? Doom 3? Even BG2? Like, duh. But was ToEE profitable? Obviously; it may have even been quite profitable. (Remember, the two-year development time doesn't matter at all; what matters is programmer-days, or -months, or w/e, and that's obviously brought down by the small size of the development team.)

And of course Troika saw little profit. I didn't claim they did; in fact, I made it very clear that the profit would've gone to Atari rather than to Troika. If their contract was typical, Troika was be paid the contracted fees and little or nothing else until sales passed a certain (probably very high) threshold. Once again, congratulations on successfully misunderstanding part of my message.

"And try to do it without being too much of an asshat"

Says the one who came busting in witht eh isnults.

You've become a total raging asshole, Volly. You started the insults, not me, and the insult ratio here is probably about 25:1 in your favor (or against you, I guess, depending on how you look at it :lol: ). Besides that, your non-stop insults aren't even clever; they consist of endless repetition of "idiot", "moron", "fool", etc. Your claim in another thread that you haven't "spammed" here in a year or more is silly; your fetish for "idiot" is more obvious spam than I see from any other poster here or anywhere else I frequent.

Face it, you are a joke. You continually dfeend Troika and their game as a success depsite evidence after evidence of that being a bullshit. If they were a success, they'd actually still be in business.

I have never defended Troika as "a success", and in my most recent posts I even suggest that they (very unwisely) focused all of their resources on a market that, for all intents and purposes, didn't exist. Once again, you failed to read and understand my posts, instead preferring to cuddle up with your straw man and call me "a joke". Go you.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Your claim in another thread that you haven't "spammed" here in a year or more is silly; your fetish for "idiot" is more obvious spam than I see from any other poster here or anywhere else I frequent."

Bullshit. It's not spam; because while I use those words a lot, I'm also on topic. Even in this thread. I cna call someone a moron and still post on topic. Dumbass.

"You started the insults, not me, and the insult ratio here is probably about 25:1 in your favor"

Hey, don't start flaming if you can't handle being flamed.

"Sold poorly compared to what?"

Sold poorly comapred to what it takes to be successful. Duh. Otherwise, Troika would still be in business. Duh.

"that's obviously brought down by the small size of the development team.)"

They had a team of 15-30+ employees depending on the game. It may not be BIO or Blizzard numbvers; but at the time it was not small (though it would be in 2007). Not to emntion that Troika admitted to overpaying and over pampering their employees with benefits they couldn't afford to give.

Troika, and their games were a failure hence why they no longer exist. If their games were finanically successful, publishers would ahve been lined up at their doorsteps since we all know that Evil Publishers tm only care about profit.

Game over.

suibhne

Erudite
Volourn said:
"You started the insults, not me, and the insult ratio here is probably about 25:1 in your favor"

Hey, don't start flaming if you can't handle being flamed.

I wasn't flaming, boyo. But to you, at least while you're wearing your Codex Hat, there seems to be nothing else.

It's not worth continuing this discussion, because you keep falling back on the argument that "Troika is out of business, therefore ToEE tanked". You might be right, but you're probably (at least partly) wrong; in any case, there are plenty of flaws with that reasoning, but you won't acknowledge any of them. Sir Brennus and others (in another thread) are having a more nuanced discussion of the same thing, so good for them.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
I actually sued a link listing their sales. BL sold 72k copies. That's poor sales for a top of the line developer which Troika certainly was as I doubt their talent was that cheap.

"I wasn't flaming, boyo."

Have you read your posts? :?

TOEE tanked cause it sold poorly which is why Troika is no longer in business. Why esle between the time TOEE was released, and they were working on BL; they couldn't get another development deal? It's obvious. Publishers don't like to hire failing developers. Duh.

This is why Obsidian has 2-3 projects on the go despite being relatively new. Their games are selling.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
suibhne said:
Actually, that figure quoted from GameDaily seems to support what we're saying: ToEE sold reasonably well (with sales of $5.2 million, which means - conservatively - maybe $1-2 million in profit [for Atari] once you pay off the development and marketing). ebon called it a miserable failure ("It tanked. Horribly."), and that's obviously not the case.
The report isn't accurate. ToEE was the fastest selling Troika game and it outsold Arcanum and Bloodlines. Leon himself posted this info here commenting on the GameDaily's report.

If you want a link, I'll dig it up.

Sorry to interrupt. As you were, gentlemen.

Edit: easy on the insults, Volourn.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Volourn said:
This is why Obsidian has 2-3 projects on the go despite being relatively new. Their games are selling.
Really? The licensed sequels to the most popular RPGs are selling? I can't believe it.

Obsidian has 2-3 projects simply because Feargus is damn good at getting contracts. The fact that he doesn't have any ambitions to make great games only helps these days.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Edit: easy on the insults, Volourn."

Oooh.. baby. The command here makes me wnat to obey.. oops... nope. I'll continue to use insults whe *I* damn please. Are you on crank to think that? btw, It's nice to see you give me 'warnings' for insulting other people *now* after I pointed out it to you.. it's too bad as you yoru stupid self (o.o. I smell ban now) ignore my counterpart's flames/insults. That's cool; though.

Leon doesn't know what's he talkin' about . If he did, he'd liekly still be in business with Troika. R00fles!

The report may not be accurate; but it sure beats someone who wriites 'I think', 'IIRC', et.c And, TOEE being 'Troika's fasting selling game' even if true (which it likely was for the first couiple of months due to the D&D name) doesn't prove much just like it outselling two expansions isn't either.

"Really? The licensed sequels to the most popular RPGs are selling? I can't believe it."

NWN, and KOTOR aren't the most popualr RPGs. That would be the FF series.

If I aslo recall, TOEE was a gfame based on one of the; if not most popualr pnp D&D module OF ALL TIME. It surley didn't help it much after the firts month.

And, POR2 was a sequel/remaking of POR1 which was rather successful as well.. didn't help it either after the firts month.

Obsidian gets contracts because Feragus know what theya re doing, and their games have been successful.

Period.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Volourn said:
Oooh.. baby. The command...
Think of it as a suggestion. As a something your inner voice of reason might tell you if you had one.

Really, what's the reason for the insults? Suibhne made a good post, presenting his position properly for you to attack, without calling you anything. Your reply featured "shut the fuck up", "dumbass", and "morons". In one post, mind you. Can you explain that? Again, we are all capable of using this kind of language, but using it when someone's discussing something with you in a civilized manner is stupid, don't you think?

I'll continue to use insults whe *I* damn please.
May I ask you why? Because you can? Because you think it's cool? Because you think that suibhne is stupid? I would like to have an answer, please.

Leon doesn't know what's he talkin' about .
But you do, of course.

If he did, he'd liekly still be in business with Troika. R00fles!
I think we can trust him in matters like recognizing and remembering numbers, can't we?

If I aslo recall, TOEE was a gfame based on one of the; if not most popualr pnp D&D module OF ALL TIME. It surley didn't help it much after the firts month.
Proof?

And, POR2 was a sequel/remaking of POR1 which was rather successful as well.. didn't help it either after the firts month.
50 years later.

Obsidian gets contracts because Feragus know what theya re doing, and their games have been successful.
By your own logic, if that was the case, Obsidian would have been working on KOTOR3 now, would they not?

Figures.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Really, what's the reason for the insults? Suibhne made a good post, presenting his position properly for you to attack, without calling you anything. Your reply featured "shut the fuck up", "dumbass", and "morons". In one post, mind you. Can you explain that? Again, we are all capable of using this kind of language, but using it when someone's discussing something with you in a civilized manner is stupid, don't you think?"

Subhine made a goos post full of flames. the only difference is that he went passive agrresive with stupid lines like 'your moronic writings' and other crap instead of having the ballz to flame me directly.

"but using it when someone's discussing something with you in a civilized manner is stupid, don't you think?"

Codexers do it all the time even when the one they are arguing with is not. Stop trying to pretend it's only me doing it.

"May I ask you why? Because you can? Because you think it's cool? Because you think that suibhne is stupid? I would like to have an answer, please."

1. I don't think subhine is stupid. I think what he wrote is stupid. NEWSFLASH: I don't care about the poster only what they post. Stop making it so personal.

2. I'm not cool nor do I claim to be.

3. We don't always get what we want. I didn't want to be banned. I got banned anyways. I'll likely be banned again. That's life. *shrug*

4. I do it because it's the Codex way - to belittle those one disagrees with. Hell, that's what ME article was all about right? To belittle BIO depsite that they relaly don't bother you at all unless you provoke them. Look in the mirror.

"But you do, of course."

I know enough to use facts like actual sales figures instead of possibly fualty memory. Not to emntion the fact that Troika made 3 different games with 3 different publishers and the publishers had very little positve to say about Troika afterwrads. In in Atari's case, they were even supprting the ideas of futre expansions and sequels for TOEE. In fact, by Troika's own words, it *was* Atari who pursued Troika so I seriosuly doubt Atari wnated Troika to fail. :roll:

"I think we can trust him in matters like recognizing and remembering numbers, can't we?"

Not when he's not even sure himself. He uses words that make it obvious he doens't have hard facts; but possibles or what he remembers.

"By your own logic, if that was the case, Obsidian would have been working on KOTOR3 now, would they not?"

Obsidian continues to get development contracts. True or not true?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Volourn said:
Subhine made a goos post full of flames. the only difference is that he went passive agrresive with stupid lines like 'your moronic writings' and other crap instead of having the ballz to flame me directly.
Well, thank God you have the balls then. Anyway, let's examine your claims. All I can see in his posts are: "you're being stupidly obstinate about it" and "more logical than your r00fling foolishness". Neither is an insult, asking for "shut the fuck up", "dumbass", and "moron". Have I made my point?

3. We don't always get what we want. I didn't want to be banned. I got banned anyways.
In case you didn't notice, you are unbanned and your ban was mostly symbolic.

I'll likely be banned again. That's life. *shrug*
Maybe, maybe not. It depends on you way more than it depends on me though.

4. I do it because it's the Codex way - to belittle those one disagrees with. Hell, that's what ME article was all about right? To belittle BIO depsite that they relaly don't bother you at all unless you provoke them. Look in the mirror.
First of all, I don't know what the Codex way is. There are people who will bite someone's face off and there are people who will never offend anyone. Second, the ME article wasn't about belittling Bio. In fact, it was not an attack on Bio at all. I'm surprised that you can't figure out why I posted it.

I know enough to use facts like actual sales figures instead of possibly fualty memory.
Well, show us the actual sales numbers then, what are you waiting for?

In fact, by Troika's own words, it *was* Atari who pursued Troika so I seriosuly doubt Atari wnated Troika to fail. :roll:
Who said that Atari wanted Troika to fail?

Not when he's not even sure himself. He uses words that make it obvious he doens't have hard facts; but possibles or what he remembers.
Post the words. Enough bullshit, let's start talking hard facts, numbers, and quotes.

"By your own logic, if that was the case, Obsidian would have been working on KOTOR3 now, would they not?"

Obsidian continues to get development contracts. True or not true?
True. Sadly, this fact has got nothing to do with what we were talking about.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"All I can see in his posts are: "you're being stupidly obstinate about it" and "more logical than your r00fling foolishness". Neither is an insult"

Sure, it is. Like I said passive aggresive; but still insults.

"In case you didn't notice, you are unbanned and your ban was mostly symbolic."

Symbolic? Symbolic of your stupidity? Your need to create I N T E R N E T D R A M A? Symbolic of me hurting your feelings?

"Maybe, maybe not. It depends on you way more than it depends on me though."

Blatantly false. Between you, and I; youa re the only one who has the power to ban someone. I have ZERO say in who gets banned here so stop the crap. Don't balme me for YOUR choices.

"Second, the ME article wasn't about belittling Bio. In fact, it was not an attack on Bio at all. I'm surprised that you can't figure out why I posted it."

Sure, it was.

"Well, show us the actual sales numbers then, what are you waiting for?"

Did you read the link? Of course you did. however, you just bullshitted that it was crap so why bother sharing links with you when it's obvious no matter what you'll cry foul unless it agrees with your already made up viewpoint.

"Post the words. Enough bullshit, let's start talking hard facts, numbers, and quotes."

Do a search on the Codex. You should be able to mangae that. A link is found in the same recent news thread that I got the sales link from.

"Sadly, this fact has got nothing to do with what we were talking about."

Sure, it does. troika failed, and Obsidian is currently succeeding. So much so, they have over 100 employees now. Troika couldn't even manage a company of 30 or so 'cause they and their games FAILED.

If their games did not fail; they'd still be in business. Remember, you seem to forget, I actually like 2 out of Troika's 3 games. That still doens't chanbge that the games failed to succeed and hence Troika the company's failure to succeed.

R00fles!

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Blatantly false. Between you, and I; youa re the only one who has the power to ban someone. I have ZERO say in who gets banned here so stop the crap. Don't balme me for YOUR choices.
Also:
That committing crimes sends you to jail is blatantly false. Between a perp and a cop, only the cop has the power to arrest someone. The perp has zero say. Don't blame the perp for committing crimes when it's really the cop's fault for arresting him.

Also:
Failing grades. Between a student and a teacher, only the teacher has the power to give an F. The student has zero say. Don't blame the student for a failing grade when it was really the teacher's fault for giving it to him.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
L0L Comparing a cop or teacher to a modertaore/site administrator. L0L

Espicially, since a teacher and cops have stringent rules they have to follow.

VD basically has his own whims. He bans or doesn't ban who he chooses.

A teacher who fails who they please and not based on work will likely be fired, and a cop who harasses/arrests the innocent is liable to ge tinto a lot of trouble up to, and including prison.

Duh.

Nowhere near the same situation.

If the Codex had a hardcoded set of rules, your analogy might actually be reasonable; but it doesn't for the most part.

:idea: Fill in the ending of this post as you wish. :idea:

Slylandro

Scholar
If the Codex had a hardcoded set of rules, your analogy might actually be reasonable; but it doesn't for the most part.

Actually that's a very good idea, we can hardcode one in for Volourn. I think he has earned his own rule by now. We can call it the Volourn Directive. :)

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Comparing a cop or teacher to a modertaore/site administrator.
They are people in positions of authority. Game Over. Roofles.

A teacher who fails who they please and not based on work will likely be fired
And admins who abuse their power end up like Vicky.

If the Codex had a hardcoded set of rules, your analogy might actually be reasonable
It does: Don't act like Volourn. I'm not sure where that leaves you, though.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"It does: Don't act like Volourn"

O RLY? Nope. If that were true, I'd have been long ago.

Codex has rules, some vaery basic rules, and I have followed them all the time except for one more when I got praised for it by the Dumbfuck tag.

R00fles!

Moron Inc = U!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom