Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline New King's Quest game - MASSIVE DECLINE Everything is shit

King Graham now has a very edgy soul patch. And you get to revisit Daventry again, and deal with the same forgettable cast of characters again, this time in an underground realm of the cheaply-drawn goblins:
KQCh2_Screen8-noscale.jpg

KQCh2_Screen3-noscale.jpg

King's Quest Episode II: Rehash of the Clone,

Due out Dec 16th

Alex

Arcane
King Graham now has a very edgy soul patch. And you get to revisit Daventry again, and deal with the same forgettable cast of characters again, this time in an underground realm of the cheaply-drawn goblins:
KQCh2_Screen8-noscale.jpg

KQCh2_Screen3-noscale.jpg

King's Quest Episode II: Rehash of the Clone,

Due out Dec 16th

Maybe if they keep trying, they will make it look as good as KQ1.

Redlands

Arcane
I'm glad those turds are keeping Graham locked up; too bad they didn't do the same to The Odd Gentlemen.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Edgy Soul Patch cracked me up. I'll have to see if Graham is still a spazz in this episode. I'm definitely interested to see if this episode addresses any of the chatter about Ep 1's weaknesses.

Bt

Edgy Soul Patch cracked me up. I'll have to see if Graham is still a spazz in this episode. I'm definitely interested to see if this episode addresses any of the chatter about Ep 1's weaknesses.

Bt

Yes, they included more scenes of Graham squeeing like a teenage girl for all the Tumblr newfags. Don't worry, BT. King's Quest is in good hipstery hands.

Inb4 Korgoth starts fanboying episode 2 in the weeks leading up to release.

Nope. It's coming out in 5 days anyway. I'll play it but it still feels like Freddie Fish meets KQ. But I feel bad trashing so cause it's obvious the developers are KQ fans, but it isn't their fault that they have to obey Activision's edicts. I imagine if the Odd Gentlemen were doing it themselves it'd be different. I know Matt Korba (the director of the game) said for example that Activision directed that the game had to be a "reimagining", and Activision also decreed it had to be an episodic game. How much of the game's quality can be laid at the feet of Activision, who have final say in everything and probably don't understand (or don't care) what people loved about KQ? So, while I feel the game is crap, I feel bad saying so because it's probably not the developers fault. I'm sure they've done their best with the sandbox of shit they're working in.

Brofisted because I like your brand of trolling Korgoth, but comeon... don't excuse TOG. They are completely fucking complicit.

True. I guess I have a soft side and feel bad knocking fans who do try their best, you know? Even if their best isn't what I like. I've just been feeling pretty soft and docile as of late. I mean, they tried, they made a cutesy casual adventure game, you know? I can't be endlessly raging and pissed about it. The only thing that disappoints me is that I will never, ever see an official Space Quest 7 done by Scott Murphy, Mark Crowe, or Josh Mandel. That depresses me immensely.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Korgoth is a rollercoaster of emotion!

But, yeah, you're never going to get an "official" Sierra game ever again that will be any good. Not from a AAA developer who is trying to hire so-called indies to give them cred. Not saying it just cause I do it, but the best adventure games are coming from smaller and indie groups. We're never gonna have another good King's Quest or Space Quest, but hopefully the indies and smaller studios can keep going, and keep doing what they do.

It's funny; some things I like about the new KQ - some of the visuals are nice, and some parts are funny, etc - but this isn't a fucking King's Quest game. I just isn't - I don't even think Chapter 2, with Edgy Soul Patch Graham can bring it into that. This French guy they hired as art director - his work is nice, sure, but still - I think the painted backgrounds of King's Quest 5 and 6 are better than the new game. This new game might have scanned art, but it's still go that cell-shaded edge that just looks crappy to me, and honestly - I don't care if the game is in psuedo-3D graphics.

The writing is....writing. That's about all I can say. Even the supposed emotional death of a character reeked of the modern tear-wrenching crap I get from any young-adult television show.

So, unless part 2 is some massive change, I can really say that this game is just going to end up known as an "okay" title, and forgotten quickly.

Bt

Korgoth is a rollercoaster of emotion!

But, yeah, you're never going to get an "official" Sierra game ever again that will be any good. Not from a AAA developer who is trying to hire so-called indies to give them cred. Not saying it just cause I do it, but the best adventure games are coming from smaller and indie groups. We're never gonna have another good King's Quest or Space Quest, but hopefully the indies and smaller studios can keep going, and keep doing what they do.

It's funny; some things I like about the new KQ - some of the visuals are nice, and some parts are funny, etc - but this isn't a fucking King's Quest game. I just isn't - I don't even think Chapter 2, with Edgy Soul Patch Graham can bring it into that. This French guy they hired as art director - his work is nice, sure, but still - I think the painted backgrounds of King's Quest 5 and 6 are better than the new game. This new game might have scanned art, but it's still go that cell-shaded edge that just looks crappy to me, and honestly - I don't care if the game is in psuedo-3D graphics.

The writing is....writing. That's about all I can say. Even the supposed emotional death of a character reeked of the modern tear-wrenching crap I get from any young-adult television show.

So, unless part 2 is some massive change, I can really say that this game is just going to end up known as an "okay" title, and forgotten quickly.

Bt

Not a rollercoaster so much as, a stubborn fuck. I want things how it was, you know?

I know I'm never going to get an official Sierra game again. It's a bitter pill to swallow, but Sierra - for all intents and purposes - has been dead since 1999 when they laid off their adventure game developers. Yeah, the company continued as an actual company for a few years after at Bellevue, but Sierra without adventure games wasn't Sierra. It was New Sierra. And this zombie abortion they have now is such a disgrace to what was once not only an awesome name, but a fantastic group of people. It's an insult. Even the website, it's so barebones, it's just fucking shameful. It's one thing to take the corpse of an old company, and actually do something cool with it - Atari, I feel, can be called Atari fairly at this point. But to take Sierra and turn it into an indie hipster fag label? That's just name rape. A total lack of respect or understanding for what "Sierra" was.

No, it isn't. For me, King's Quest - the core of it, what made it so appealing - was it was a kitchen sink of fairy tales, myths, folklore and legends. The story didn't really matter, it was just a means of stringing this very disparate legendary characters and creatures together in new locales. You don't get that in the new game, you get "Wedzel Wolves" and "Snarling Snarlaxes". This was a series where famous characters of myth and legend openly strode onto the screen and were even part of the game. You traded goods with Pan. You got help from the Fates. You saved Ceres from certain doom. You defeated the legendary Minotaur. You sought healing from a Sylph, you got a sword from the Lady of the Lake. Every KQ game had an obligatory witch, wizard or sorceror. Every KQ game had a traditional fantasy critter to either avoid or defeat in some way.

Where is any of that in the new game? You have visual-pun "Bridge-Trolls"...Does that even count? and "Rock Goblins". Not a single wizard, witch, ogre, or genie to be found.

Another part of KQ's charm was it's use of really exotic and differing locales. Look at KQ5. You go from beautiful Serenia to the harsh desert to the ice kingdom to the tropical island of the Harpies to the dark creepy island owned by Mordack. KQ6 you go from island to island but each island has a different feel, almost like five separate lands in one game. KQ7 you had the harsh desert, the beautiful Bountiful Wood, Ooga Booga, the Troll Realm, Etheria which was like Heaven. You had in KQ8 Daventry, then a very ancient Egypt inspired Death realm, the Swamp, the land of the Gnomes, the realm of the Sun. Each game also had a unique cast of characters, not much was recycled from game to game. In this new game, you have Chapter I in Daventry with a pretty forgettable cast...And now you have the Dragon's Well (which we've already explored) with the same old cast in Chapter II. This time with "rock Goblins". I have a feeling we're just going to keep exploring different parts of Daventry with the same side characters in every Chapter.

And of course Graham is some feminine, cuck version of Guybrush. That's character assassination right there.

And the fucking puns. The only puns in KQ were the subtitles and the death messages. There was no punny dialogue in the old games. They're taking a stupid shtick and running wild with it.

And yeah - there is no real darkness. Nothing that emotionally grabs you. Achaka's death was as you put it, modern tear jerking crap. Very very cliched.

I mean, this alone, does this sound like KQ? Or does it sound like some cutesy baby indie fag shit:
"A charity, the Wedzel Rescue was created, because Wedzel Wolves suffer alone, and are terrified every day."

So now the game's only monsters have a tragic, sad backstory. They're not totally evil. Everything is g(r)ay.

Archibald

Arcane
Considering usage of fairy tales and the like: it is a general trend in entertainment industry. If you make some cool stuff with fairy tales then you can't really copyright it since its in public domain. Enter bunch of made up nonsenses like Snarling Snarlaxes. Best example of this probably is Gamesworkshop destroying their entire line, Warhammer Fantasy, because they couldn't copyright orcs and other shit.

Considering usage of fairy tales and the like: it is a general trend in entertainment industry. If you make some cool stuff with fairy tales then you can't really copyright it since its in public domain. Enter bunch of made up nonsenses like Snarling Snarlaxes. Best example of this probably is Gamesworkshop destroying their entire line, Warhammer Fantasy, because they couldn't copyright orcs and other shit.

How was (real) Sierra able to copyright the KQ games then, or QFG, both of which used public domain stuff like Shakespearian characters or fairy tale NPCs?

Archibald

Arcane
You obviously can copyright whole game, but not specific elements that are about fairy tales/myths. For example if someone makes Minotaur gay in their game and everyone loves it for some reason, then another developer can also make gay Minotaurs in his game. First developer in such case might get serious case of butthurt - "Hey, I made him gay in the first place and now others are profiting from my genius". To prevent such things first developer might create "new" creature that is a bit similar to Minotaur, but not really so he can copyright "gay creature that is similar to Minotaur but not really that is totally owned by me".

Yes, it is absurd, but some companies are actually moving towards that. Look at new releases and old games, you'll see that usage of fairy tales, folklore and myths are generally declining. Obsidian even came up with some new bullshit names for vampires and other standard fantasy creatures.

Edit: For example as far as I know Warhammer fantasy introduced idea of green orcs and since then most of the fantasy games feature green orcs.

You obviously can copyright whole game, but not specific elements that are about fairy tales/myths. For example if someone makes Minotaur gay in their game and everyone loves it for some reason, then another developer can also make gay Minotaurs in his game. First developer in such case might get serious case of butthurt - "Hey, I made him gay in the first place and now others are profiting from my genius". To prevent such things first developer might create "new" creature that is a bit similar to Minotaur, but not really so he can copyright "gay creature that is similar to Minotaur but not really that is totally owned by me".

Yes, it is absurd, but some companies are actually moving towards that. Look at new releases and old games, you'll see that usage of fairy tales, folklore and myths are generally declining. Obsidian even came up with some new bullshit names for vampires and other standard fantasy creatures.

Edit: For example as far as I know Warhammer fantasy introduced idea of green orcs and since then most of the fantasy games feature green orcs.

Okay, that's pretty fucking stupid. We live in such a shitty, shitty age. I mean call Roberta Williams whatever you want, but she had more balls than these modern developers, she wasn't afraid to use the term "Goblin" or "Troll" or "Minotaur" or "Pan" or "Ceres." Game designers have become safe, tame pussies.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom