Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry New japanese Wizardry games in the making

Fyz

Scholar
Japanese dev Gamepot is developing several Wizardry games for PC and consoles.

The goal is to stage a renaissance for the renowned Wizardry name," said IPM producer Takeshi Iwahara in an interview with Famitsu magazine. "There will be new titles, and two different developers are working on games for the Nintendo DS and PlayStation 3.

These console titles are only part of the so-called "Wizardry Renaissance," though. Gamepot itself is working on Wizardry Online, a PC title that may or may not be an MMO, and Wizardry Zeo, an original manga based on the series, is set to debut September 9 in Japan.

As far as I know these Jap Wizardry games are pretty decent, so I'm pretty optimistic.
An official site of these games launchs on the 3rd of August.
Read more at 1up: http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3175349

Suicidal

Arcane
Look on the bright side - at least Bethesda is not making them.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Is there hope?
Although Jasede will start throwing balls of cotton, I don't like the old-school wiz graphics. I'd rather have Wiz8 style graphics.
Apple2_Wizardry1.gif
is a little too hardcore for me. And from what I'd heard that was what at least the DS game(s) went for. :(

But if it looks like this:
monkInv.jpg
and keeps the gameplay/char-dev basics from Wiz, why not?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Etrian Odyssey was good, Dark Spire was good, why wouldn't this be good too? At least the Japs still have dungeon crawlers.

We, the west, have evolved far past that, and now have superior RPGs such as the mature Witcher, the rich Mass Effect, and let us not forget, the brilliant Oblivion.

Edit: nice graphics aren't a bad thing. Just too often they invest too much into them and too little into the games.

MetalCraze

Arcane
What is the chance it won't be turned into yet another anime shit #1052 where 16 yrs old kids will save the universe from huge cosmic monsters? This is japanese dev we are talking about.

Not that the series weren't already raped by Wiz9

Zeus

Cipher
Jasede said:
Etrian Odyssey was good, Dark Spire was good, why wouldn't this be good too? At least the Japs still have dungeon crawlers.

Seriously. At least you can still get 'em published there.

I haven't seen a Western dungeon crawler on console since Arx Fatalis. The only ones on PC these days seem to be from indy developers. I can't even think of any Russian dungeon crawlers, and Russians seem to be singlehandedly resurrecting every other dead genre these days. (Fantasy 4X, etc.)

MetalCraze said:
What is the chance it won't be turned into yet another anime shit #1052 where 16 yrs old kids will save the universe from huge cosmic monsters? This is japanese dev we are talking about.

Well, here's a review of the lone Japanese Wizardry released in America this decade:

http://www.armchairempire.com/Reviews/p ... n-land.htm

Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land (PS2)

It’s actually nice that you aren’t so aggressively spoon fed the plot as in other console RPGs where you have a far clearer, drawn out idea of what you are supposed to do. In Wizardry you’re left relatively in the dark as to your ultimate goal. There are also some nice side quests with surprisingly grim tales attached to them as your party takes mercenary jobs from the bulletin board in the local tavern. Everything from seeking the satisfaction of an enemy’s death, to finding one’s courage, embracing dark, forbidden magic, not the usual mix of “Go Team!” blind optimism and clichéd pap that is so often seen in the genre.

Doesn't exactly scream "Evangelion".

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
As far as I'm concerned Wizardry ended spectacularly with the legendary Wizardry 8. I don't give a shit about all the dumb spin-offs.

They should make another Dark Spire game tho'.

Fyz

Scholar
MetalCraze said:

Reminds me of MM6's story.

At any rate, I don't really mind the jap style story or graphics, as long as the core dungeon crawler gameplay remains intact.

Shannow

Waster of Time
MetalCraze said:

Are you raving? Forgot to take your meds again? (Serious questions)
In case you missed it:
Jasede said:

We, the west, have evolved far past that, and now have superior RPGs such as the mature Witcher, the rich Mass Effect, and let us not forget, the brilliant Oblivion.

And what Wizardry 9? Sure you're not mixing it up with M&M 9?
Now if you don't give coherent answers the first time I'll treat you like Volly. Just so you know.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Wizardry is very lucky in that it's one of the very few classic RPG franchises that never had the main series of its games raped. Wizardry 1-8 are all great games.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Shannow said:
Jasede said:

And? Again what will stop them from raping the shit out of Wizardry with retarded jap "art" and story?

And what Wizardry 9? Sure you're not mixing it up with M&M 9?
http://www.mobygames.com/game/wizardry- ... saken-land
Certainly was the next game in the franchise.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter

getter77

Augur
If they can bring the DS game stateside via Atlus or some such I'll probably give it a shot---the PS3 game will just have to remain out of my reach indefintely. Seems they know damn well this is niche territory as I think it is available exclusively via Amazon.jp.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Fat Dragon said:
:lol: You're trying too hard, skyway. By that logic Fallout Tactics would be Fallout 3 since it was the third installment for the Fallout franchise. Learn what a spin-off is.

No by that logic Fallout Tactics would be spinoff. Guess why.
I'm sure all those Prince of Persias and NFS are spinoffs too because there is no number in the name. It doesn't matter whether you do butthurt nitpicks about it being a spinoff or a sequel or if it is spinoff or a sequel because it is still a rape by japanese fags.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
MetalCraze said:
Fat Dragon said:
:lol: You're trying too hard, skyway. By that logic Fallout Tactics would be Fallout 3 since it was the third installment for the Fallout franchise. Learn what a spin-off is.

No by that logic Fallout Tactics would be spinoff. Guess why.
I'm sure all those Prince of Persias and NFS are spinoffs too because there is no number in the name. It doesn't matter whether you do butthurt nitpicks about it being a spinoff or a sequel or if it is spinoff or a sequel because it is still a rape by japanese fags.
Oh look, skyway is being a weasel again. Big surprise there. :lol:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Not playing these games because of retarded Jap. art is a lot like not playing ADOM because it uses "ugly" ASCII. Why shouldn't they make a game that suits their culture? I'd be pissed off if western RPGs imitated eastern art and story styles. Stick to your roots.

Wait, Western RPGs do - look at Bioware and their "stories" and "characters". Bleh.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom