Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New ITS game - Cyclopean

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Inziladun said:
Do you plan to help out with the project at all VD?
I'll help if my help is needed, but it's not my project and I would prefer to to work on a different game.

buccaroobonzai

Scholar
The concept sounds very good, and if it will use most of the AoD mechanics and gameplay structure it should play very well. Of course it should have its own tweaks to gameplay matching The Cthulhu genre, and I think the PnP games are a good base template from which to work.

I remember the last PnP tabletop session we played CoC years ago. We were searching for and found a supernatural mummy and there was no way to defeat it much less affect it using conventional means. Melee weapons and bullets did almost nothing a tall, and it slowly drove us crazy in the encounter. Even fire barely damaged it as it's essence was supernatural force and it's physical substance was half in this plane, and half out of it. It took some ancient manuscripts and relics to even affect or slow it down. These are the types of encounter mechanics that need to be implemented in Cthulhu games with most of the creatures. Of course with cultists and other humans and lesser creatures you can play out more tactical combat. But with the truly supernatural entities each encounter should be a test of ancient knowledge, corrupting magic, secret ways to damage supernatural beings that need to be discovered and tied to gameplay quest and explorations.

I hope Screeg (the developer) is looking into implementing all of this.

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
This sure is awkward since NN's next project is also H.P.L. related... I guess that making a Lovecraft game is a dream of all the RPG geeks out there.

Um, what? Where did you get that idea? The next game on my list is cyberpunk-fantasy ala Shadowrun.

Unradscorpion

Arbiter
Ah yes... didn't you say it will have Cosmic horror elements like cthulhupunk?

Also how's the SoW going? [DERAIL]

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
No, I don't remember saying that. :P

SoW is going ok but let's not move focus from Cyclopean, there is another forum for SoW. ;)

abstract

Scholar
SuicideBunny said:
speaking of which, i vaguely remember some rpg adventure hybrid with nonexistent graphics set in the lovecraft universe, where you explored an island with some freaky inhabitants and a fish cult. you could break into people's houses and whatnot.. dammit.. wish i could remember the name...

sounds like Anchorhead, but that's a pure IF game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom