Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Neverwinter Nights - why are you guys so negative ?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Sarvis said:
A little, but right now I am playing through three other games (ToEE, Black & White and Laxius Power) so I'm not overly inclined to fit in a game which I already didn't enjoy once.

Okay, so.. You didn't play Geneforge much if at all considering what you've been saying about it because you thought it was "RTS like", but you're playing Black & White? M-kay!

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
Sarvis said:
A little, but right now I am playing through three other games (ToEE, Black & White and Laxius Power) so I'm not overly inclined to fit in a game which I already didn't enjoy once.

Okay, so.. You didn't play Geneforge much if at all considering what you've been saying about it because you thought it was "RTS like", but you're playing Black & White? M-kay!

Optimus Prime sez: This does not satisfy my logical circuits.

Sarvis

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
Sarvis said:

Yep. Although I am getting a little bored with it at this point, but that's mostly because it takes forever to get your sphere of influence big enough to affect the next town. Also I've been trying to be good, but evil may be more fun... what with all kinds of fireballs and lightning bolts! ;)

Thing is, despite having to gather resources and such Black & White doesn't have much of an RTS vibe. Quite a bit of micromanaging peasants, which is getting tedious, does not make a game RTS.

Plus, I already said that since it was turn based that probably wasn't my problem with the game. It's been like two years now, and all I remember was that I decided against buying it despite having the money.

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
I just assumed he was playing NWN while sick. Personally when I'm sick I lay in bed with the door to the bathroom open.

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
Regarding the whole "NWN mod makers are lazy bastards" thing:

Yeah, pretty much. But it's Bioware's fault, not the mod makers. I mean, I can see that some of the modders have talent (Gagne, for one), but... there's just so little to work with. And it's GOTTA be hell to put in the effort to make a GOOD mod with the kind of toolset and ruleset NWN has.

I think it could be done. I think a great NWN mod could be made.

But it's beneath anyone with the talent to do it to put all that effort into wrestling with the toolset and all of it's flaws.

EDIT: I swear, the forum's broke. Everytime I try to post something, it goes to a "website not responding" page, and when I reload, I end up with a double post that I have to delete.

That, or I have to click the shit out of the back button.

I'm leaving this double post up as a testament to the fact that Exitium needs to be hung like a black man's genitalia.

Deathy

Liturgist
I agree with the pain to Extium sentiment.

However, I think it's a server problem, not to mention that even if "Easy instructions on setting up phpBB - written for mongoloids" came up and bit Exitium on the ass, I believe that he'd still be clueless as to how to even begin.

Sarvis

Erudite
Monkeyfinger said:
Regarding the whole "NWN mod makers are lazy bastards" thing:

Yeah, pretty much. But it's Bioware's fault, not the mod makers. I mean, I can see that some of the modders have talent (Gagne, for one), but... there's just so little to work with. And it's GOTTA be hell to put in the effort to make a GOOD mod with the kind of toolset and ruleset NWN has.

I think it could be done. I think a great NWN mod could be made.

But it's beneath anyone with the talent to do it to put all that effort into wrestling with the toolset and all of it's flaws.

EDIT: I swear, the forum's broke. Everytime I try to post something, it goes to a "website not responding" page, and when I reload, I end up with a double post that I have to delete.

That, or I have to click the shit out of the back button.

I'm leaving this double post up as a testament to the fact that Exitium needs to be hung like a black man's genitalia.

All those flaws you speak of only make it harder to work with the toolset, which means the people who make modules, even not very great ones, are spending quite a bit of effort. Spending quite a bit of effort is pretty much the opposite of being lazy.

Deathy

Liturgist
Just attempting to piss you off, Exitium, I'm kinda disappointed that it didn't work.

Deathy

Liturgist
It was in reply to the post directly above mine.

I thought it was moderately straightforward.

Did not read all the reply, but most of the reply seems to be the same that we already read a zillion times in most "pro/con NWN' threads in various forums.

I just tried playing NWN again after almost 2 years, and I still was not too crazy about it despite the lack of good CRPGs since the release of IWD2.

Character creation is the best part of NWN. I did not finish the prelude once and already have 5 new characters.

Although I enjoyed TOEE despite it's flaws, the best D&D game (or CRPG) to be released in the past 2 years is IWD2.

Although to be fair, I did not play NWN with the 2 expansions. I don't know anyone who has them, and I have no intention of buying them without trying them out first.

Let us hope that NWN2 will be better.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"IWD2."

You lose. At least TOEE has some good qualities.

Jedi359

Liturgist
I love the infinity engine to death. I think IWD2 is the best adaption of 3E rules so far.

baelstren

Educated
Patron
Insert Title Here
Transcendent One said:
All three games, NWN, ToEE, and IWD2 were overall unimpressive.

Together, a toolset, ToEE's combat model, and IWD2's subraces and item descriptions would make a good game, though you'd need to find a story somewhere.

Sarvis

Erudite
baelstren said:
Transcendent One said:
All three games, NWN, ToEE, and IWD2 were overall unimpressive.

Together, a toolset, ToEE's combat model, and IWD2's subraces and item descriptions would make a good game, though you'd need to find a story somewhere.

Heh, I wouldn't care what was attached to a toolset for the ToEE engine. It would mean lots of cool modules for me to play with full parties and turn based combat.

If I had something like THAT to compare NWN to I might not think it was such a good game...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom