Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights (NWN & NWN2) Modules Thread

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
... Yeah, I thought about going back for the dwarf but I assumed through conversation that he'd leave me just as soon as we got out of the dungeon but you seem to be implying that he'll still be around after that...

He does leave once you get out of the underground caves region, but you will then encounter him again later in the module, if you reach that point.
Thanks. I retrieved him. Just finished up at the goblin fortress where the Big Cheese made his escape through the portal. However, speaking of cheese and cheesing it, I found his henchman Gorav so tough in that encounter that I lured him away to a remote corner of that fortress (making my companions stay behind) and just as he was about to administer the coup de grace I chugged a potion of invisibility. He then just stood there. I made my way back to the portal room and fought the boss who then escaped through the portal while Gorav remained in the corner on the other side of the fortress wondering where I went. Hopefully I didn't break the module when it comes to the Big Showdown at the end and Gorav is suppose to be there but instead he's still standing in that remote corner of the fortress like Mike at the end of Blair Witch project. Haha. But if I never see Gorav again it will be too soon.

rogueknight333

Arbiter
... Hopefully I didn't break the module when it comes to the Big Showdown at the end and Gorav is suppose to be there but instead he's still standing in that remote corner of the fortress like Mike at the end of Blair Witch project. Haha. But if I never see Gorav again it will be too soon.

I expected players to defeat Gorav, but not doing so should not break anything, and do nothing more than cost you a little XP.

My goal when designing the Hobgoblin bosses was to play a little joke by making goblinoid enemies that make the player feel the way I imagine the typical goblin feels when adventurers come to kill him. It seems I was not entirely unsuccessful, as a fair number of people seem to find encountering Gorav rather traumatic. Currently he is actually nerfed a bit from the version that appeared in the module's initial release.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
... Hopefully I didn't break the module when it comes to the Big Showdown at the end and Gorav is suppose to be there but instead he's still standing in that remote corner of the fortress like Mike at the end of Blair Witch project. Haha. But if I never see Gorav again it will be too soon.

I expected players to defeat Gorav, but not doing so should not break anything, and do nothing more than cost you a little XP.

My goal when designing the Hobgoblin bosses was to play a little joke by making goblinoid enemies that make the player feel the way I imagine the typical goblin feels when adventurers come to kill him. It seems I was not entirely unsuccessful, as a fair number of people seem to find encountering Gorav rather traumatic. Currently he is actually nerfed a bit from the version that appeared in the module's initial release.
Well, goal obtained. I really did feel like I was on the wrong end of the shit stick in that mission. I think I would have actually defeated him if I hadn't abandoned my feisty little dwarf buddy back in the underground cavern and had him along too. But, hey. C&C *shrug*

Last edited:

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I thought Gorav was tough until I had to face off against the bard's sword instructor. You should have seen me today, running like a little girly-man because I couldn't even scratch him. But... I ran and ran and ran, through the sewers, and led him to his doom. Bless gnoll henchmen with one or two absolutely killer spells. This module brings back my fondest memories of playing NWN; of all those desperate, frantic battles where you have to think on your feet, or die.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Check out the Hlontar PW. While roleplaying is encouraged, it isn't required and there's a huge world there to explore and lots of quests and friendly people. Obviously, the server isn't as busy as it was a long time ago, but it's been up and running since 2004 and still has an active forum here:

http://hlontar.reonis.com/

Snufkin

Augur
I downloaded and installed HD pack by Beamdog (updated version from nwn vault) to check how Aribeth looks now, and lol behold she still looks same. Reminds me a sack of potatoes i bought in Żabka. :outrage: :smug:

Gargaune

Arcane
I downloaded and installed HD pack by Beamdog (updated version from nwn vault) to check how Aribeth looks now, and lol behold she still looks same. Reminds me a sack of potatoes i bought in Żabka. :outrage: :smug:
That's because the HD Art Pack only covers the PC parts system, not the prebuilt or custom appearances. Beamdog published a skinned mesh version of Aribeth on the Steam Workshop back when they were scoping out options for the HD pack, and it was then crossposted to the Vault.

0A9318B342A9B07543C3E0E44763E5419B287007

That reminds me, rogueknight333, what's your take on the Steam Workshop as a distribution channel? Obviously, I'm a Vault fan myself (and I have GOG versions for the DE and the EE), but it seems like there is an audience there, I just saw an Aielund Saga Enhanced Edition compilation with some 12.000 subscribers. Probably not much point if you get your stuff on the EE's integrated browser, like Luke has, but otherwise would it not be worth casting your net in Newell's backyard as well?

rogueknight333

Arbiter
... That reminds me, rogueknight333, what's your take on the Steam Workshop as a distribution channel? ...

I do not use Steam Workshop myself since some of the hak content I use in Swordflight appears not to be on Steam and I do not have permission to re-upload some of it there (i.e., unless I ignored the relevant permissions I would just have to redirect players to the Vault anyway). Also it would be a hassle to try to keep track of downloads and revisions and comments on multiple sites so it is more convenient for me to just use the Vault.

That said, it would probably be a good idea for any modder trying to get more visibility for his work to post it on Steam as well as the Vault if practical. There are doubtless some players who check the former but not the latter. There are also NWN modding sites on the Nexus and ModDB one could use for yet more exposure (though I suspect very little).

In my case, in addition to the reasons mentioned above for not going beyond the Vault, I am not sure I even want Swordflight to be downloaded by casual players who have heard nothing about it and have no clue what they are in for. That is not really my target audience. But I am probably a special case in that regard.

Gargaune

Arcane
rogueknight333, I see your point, dependencies can always be tricky, and I suppose loosing Swordflight on a more casual playerbase runs the risk of generating some more... impolite reactions.

As for ModDB and the Nexus, I don't think either are particularly relevant in the NWN scene, the Vault seems to have won out over both a long time ago. The former seems to be near-dormant now, and the Nexus never really took off with the first NWN game, maybe for the better since you'd have to deal with their more dubious policies towards content ownership of late.

P.S. Though, I confess, I'd love to see your series slapped onto the general populace even if just for the inevitable "Swordflight is the Dark Souls of Neverwinter Nights" headlines.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
rogueknight333 Have you had a chance to play a module called Citadel? What I hear is that it's long, goes into epic levels and has hard/creative/challenging combat encounters - that is it's a little like your series. Do you recommend?

Turn_BASED

Educated
Alright bros I’m going to spin up a new Swordflight play through. I’ve done a paladin before, any recommendations for a character?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom