Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights (NWN & NWN2) Modules Thread

Jack_Deth

Augur
Patron
Insert Title Here
DramaticPopcorn said:
However, I have no freaking idea what do you mean by "RP-heavy" modules. It always depends on the player to RP or to just powergame your way through.

ie: more role playing: choices & consequences rather than pure dungeon crawl

Erebus

Arcane
Someone should really sticky a discussion about the NWN 1/2 mods, because I'm sure there have a already been a dozen of them.

To answer your question, I suggest the Dark Waters trilogy. The first game is close to being an adventure game, while the other two allow a lot of freedom of movement and very diverse challenges.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Erebus said:
Someone should really sticky a discussion about the NWN 1/2 mods, because I'm sure there have a already been a dozen of them.

Someone would need to maintain and properly format such a list first.....

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
DramaticPopcorn said:
Um, I didn't find PoR module to be anything special, to be honest... It was simply decent... no challenge or great plot, though.

Hey, you recommend your favorite modules, I'll recommend mine.

The thing that Pool of Radiance Remastered has going for it, as has been already pointed out, is its combat encounters. If you play this module straight up, no cheese/cheating and no powergaming, no exploiting of monster AI, etc., on Hardcore difficulty (the only way it should be), you will be very challenged in many of the fights, yet they're fair. Some of the missile volleys that occur, for example, are great. Those pesky goblins behind those barriers are begging for a Fireball, but you just. don't. have. one. yet.

Also, the ogre fight(s) can bring you to tears if you're not careful. Not to mention the final battle.

Low magic level, even finding a good crossbow is a reward. And the story, of course based on the novel and the classic Gold Box game, is fine.

Damn, I love traditional D&D, low-level goodness.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Another one I liked that I enjoyed all the way through was Trinity.

This one has a pretty good leadup to the expedition you go on, and the dungeon designs are interesting. Good villains, a few good little twists in the story. Very authentic in terms of its Forgotten Realms lore. Recommended.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Jaesun said:
Someone would need to maintain and properly format such a list first.....

I volunteer Volourn since he has extensive experience as both player and content creator and a modicum of judgment where such things are concerned.

Jack_Deth

Augur
Patron
Insert Title Here
Thanks guys, going to try the Conan one. I am a big fan of the Hyborian setting. Also, no offense to original settings but when playing a mod, I kind of like to have it set in a familiar setting: ie, Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms, Hyboria, whatever it maybe. Just find the background lore is stronger then.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Crispy said:
DramaticPopcorn said:
Um, I didn't find PoR module to be anything special, to be honest... It was simply decent... no challenge or great plot, though.

Hey, you recommend your favorite modules, I'll recommend mine.

The thing that Pool of Radiance Remastered has going for it, as has been already pointed out, is its combat encounters. If you play this module straight up, no cheese/cheating and no powergaming, no exploiting of monster AI, etc., on Hardcore difficulty (the only way it should be), you will be very challenged in many of the fights, yet they're fair. Some of the missile volleys that occur, for example, are great. Those pesky goblins behind those barriers are begging for a Fireball, but you just. don't. have. one. yet.

Also, the ogre fight(s) can bring you to tears if you're not careful. Not to mention the final battle.

Low magic level, even finding a good crossbow is a reward. And the story, of course based on the novel and the classic Gold Box game, is fine.

Damn, I love traditional D&D, low-level goodness.
It sounds great but... Not sure if I want to play with RTWP gameplay.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Anyone play this one?

I thought it looked interesting but I cant get it to work. I put everything where it needs to be and when I try and start a new game it says it cannot find the needed .hak file even though I verified its in the right location.

Maybe its a windows 7 issue? I doubt it though since the mod files are stored in the my documents folder.

I can get other mods to work though

Legacy of White Plume mountain

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=nw ... ail&id=454

Edit: Just redownloaded the ,hak file and it works now.

This module is one of the few big ones that uses the SOZ overland map if you like exploration.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Any good, text-heavy modules out there, or just interesting modules that don't focus on combat that much? Dark Waters seems to fit the bill (at least based on the description, even though I'm not sure if minigames are a good thing), but are there any others worth mentioning? Having a somewhat original setting would also be a plus.

The Conan stuff seems really cool as well. I'll probably check it out soon.

Ruprekt

Scholar
interesting modules that don't focus on combat

1248770580_fullres.jpg

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
I can recommend this one:The Path of Evil.
It comes with a few bugs that you might run into, some gamebreaking, but you can circumvent them if you know about them. Probably best to read through the comment section to avoid them. Otherwise this module is leaps and bounds above the other NWN2 modules I played.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Just thought I'd post this as a heads-up, as I remember the first set of Conan Chronicles mods (now combined into one on NWVault) getting a lot of praise around here, particularly the second instalment. I never got around to playing the third instalment, but the second was one of the best NWN module experiences I've had, fucking fantastic mod.

The second/fourth/however the fuck we should number these mod is now up on the Vault, managed to overlook it because for some reason it's not in the top modules list despite its score. If it has the same wealth of things to do, insane attention to detail, alternate solutions and ~real C&C~ that the author's shown before, it'll be amazing. Time for a full playthrough.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
The Conan Chronicles was fun when I played it.

It had a lot of ways of getting killed by making the wrong choice in an earlier chapter of the same module. You don't ever irritate or lecture a clan leader, or he will desert you. You don't ever walk away from the clan, or you will not survive. At the same time, you have to have the good sense to disobey orders right when it is important to do so. The second part too had really fun gladiator fights, where you could deliberately pick on the most dangerous gladiators, bet on yourself against all odds, and win a lot of money. So many situations changed based on the skills you had, such as communicating with animals. The maker of this module truly made an anti-OC - a small, concentrated, linear module with lots of things to do in a small space.

Incredible admission: It was this very NWN2 campaign that led me to watching Conan the Barbarian. Since the module came with the very powerful soundtrack from the movie, I was astonished by its quality, and realize the movie couldn't have been just any Arnold Schwarzenegger pulp movie. I turned out to be right, because the movie was actually an opera-like visual spectacle that happened to star the Austrian Oak.

Breaking Axe

Educated
The first and third parts are based on original Robert E. Howard short stories, I remember lots of attention to detail when I played through them. Really worth it for Conan fans.

Could anyone make a complete list of the modules with a short description of them? I'm having trouble remembering anything past part 3.

Part 1 was with the Aesir and stealing back the chieftain's daughter.

Part 2 was fighting in the slave pits

Part 3 was escaping wolves and entering a tomb?

Elzair

Cipher
I wonder if they'll make Queen of the Black Coast into a module.

Captain Shrek

NWN2 has a good engine. They should have used TB system like in TOEE and it would have been magnificent.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Breaking Axe said:
The first and third parts are based on original Robert E. Howard short stories, I remember lots of attention to detail when I played through them. Really worth it for Conan fans.

Could anyone make a complete list of the modules with a short description of them? I'm having trouble remembering anything past part 3.

Part 1 was with the Aesir and stealing back the chieftain's daughter.

Part 2 was fighting in the slave pits

Part 3 was escaping wolves and entering a tomb?
That's all of them. They've now been condensed into "Conan Chronicles 1", so I'm assuming the new one is meant to offer length/content equivalent to all three put together.

Kitako

Arcane
felicity said:
NWN2 creature distant tweak - No more over-crowded confused combat. Why I didn't find it earlier?

Note that this mod will cause a gamebreaking bug near the end of the OC.

You'll have to fight with siege towers, but their large hitbox has problem with the distance tweak mod, making the whole scene script to break and you can only load a previous savegame.

You can disable the mod during that scene, and reactivate it afterwards with no problems, but it took a nerdraging afternoon for me to figure it out what was the problem.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=NW ... tail&id=18

The Complete Craftsman is by far the biggest of my suggestions, fleshing out the crafting system of the Original Campaign. Tons of new recipes, alternative ways to make various good, a more efficient distillation system, easy ways to rename your goods, etc. Note that if you have the Mask of the Betrayer or Storm of Zehir expansions, you'll want to pick up the patch linked at the bottom of the description.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=NW ... ail&id=133

The Random Loot Generator does just that...generates random loot, making some of the formerly inane filler battles at least somewhat interesting if only because there's a chance of getting good stuff for it.

Though the generator has a penchant for randomly picking from the list of adjectives in the name list...meaning your new item may have a title that sounds like it belongs on a T-shirt in Japan.

Also, these items show up on every character, so the pick-pocketing feature is now actually worth it.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=NW ... ail&id=204

Distillable Loot makes it so that the creatures you kill drop crafting items that actually make sense. Ghouls drops Ghoul Arms, certain creatures drop leather, a fire creature might drop fire essences, you get the drift. The creator of this pak thought it was strange that you killed all these creatures, yet had to buy distillable body parts named after them in stores if you wanted to craft. Now, there's a reason for you to slaughter that mass of undead. Besides helping your fellow living compatriots, of course.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom