Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition - Beamdog's final enhancement - now with new premium modules

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://blog.beamdog.com/2018/03/join-party-announcing-special.html

Join the Party! Announcing a Special Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition Launch Day Stream

Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition is nearly here! NWN:EE will be available to purchase onSteam March 27, 2018.

This is your invitation to come celebrate the launch of Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition during a special two-hour Twitch livestream!

We’ll be live Tuesday March 27 at 10am PT playing with the community on a newly Enhanced Arelith server. Tune in on Twitch for interviews with special guests, developer stories, and news about what’s next for Neverwinter Nights!

But that’s not all! Trent, Phil, and Jonathan will be giving away Steam keys and limited edition Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition t-shirts. As a special treat, one lucky live viewer will be chosen to have their portrait Neverwintererized by a Beamdog artist. All you have to do is show up for a chance to win!

Guaranteed +5 against cold! Win yours!

We’re excited to finally see Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition available to fans on Steam. The best part? This is just the beginning! There’s bright future ahead for NWN:EE fans! Join us live and be a part of Neverwinter Nights history!

Want to get a head start? Pre-order Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition on Beamdog or wishlist NWN:EE on Steam today!

I will surely be there and connect to the stream. Who wouldn't want NWN keys and tshirt of NWN nights. I'm already more than horny

Edit: Sorry boys couldn't hold my sexual arousal

8=D----------

sstacks

Arcane
Live with Phil Daigle right now, (it will also go out as a podcast later)
http://965fmtheanswer.com

Post the youtube video. That website is awful to navigate.

You mean that big LISTEN LIVE button right on the front page?

Capture.jpg

sstacks

Arcane
The podcast version isn't done through the radio station. I normally do a follow up post with the podcast version.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

sstacks

Arcane

The one that says "Live Now: Sean Hannity" ?

Ohhh is that what I need to click to listen to an interview with Bioware - Thanks for the hot tip tard.

Well, let's think it through there big guy.

When the show is live, then it will say Shane Plays. If that's not what's currently live there, then it won't.

But to say the site is "hard to navigate" to listen to the live show when there's an (as demonstrated) big LISTEN LIVE button right there on the front page is kinda, well, tard-ish.

Anyway, I gave you credit for a comment with Phil during the show. Now that you're being a turgid choad, I wish I hadn't.

TedNugent

Arcane
Bioware is cancer. Let me know when they remake Mask of the Betrayer.

That reminds me. I still need to play that.

sstacks

Arcane
Phil said when I talked with him that they made things "crisper" but didn't add any new elements around characters like they did with SoD

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

Ohhh is that what I need to click to listen to an interview with Bioware - Thanks for the hot tip tard.

When the show is live, then it will say Shane Plays. If that's not what's currently live there, then it won't.

But to say the site is "hard to navigate" to listen to the live show when there's an (as demonstrated) big LISTEN LIVE button right there on the front page is kinda, well, tard-ish.

Anyway, I gave you credit for a comment with Phil during the show. Now that you're being a turgid choad, I wish I hadn't.

If I didn't watch it when it's live - a screenshot of Sean Hannity's face won't help me.

I don't get what your point is. Just upload it so we can watch it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

DarKPenguiN

Arcane

If I didn't watch it when it's live - a screenshot of Sean Hannity's face won't help me.

I don't get what your point is. Just upload it so we can watch it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Sean Hannity is a very handsome man.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I'm referring to this section of my most popular IE write-up:

overrated.jpg

So serious question, what makes Monks "magekillers" in BG2? Inquisitors I get, OP'd dispel, etc, but why Monks? And no I'm not reading your blog, break it down for me homegirl.

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014
What is your fave Conan story (R.E Howard only)? The one with Xaltotun was my fave.

Ok, let's change the mood:

The best Conan story is either the Tower of the Elephant, or The God in the Bowl.

Also, the best post-Howard Conan writer is John Maddox Roberts. Robert Jordan sucks.

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
So serious question, what makes Monks "magekillers" in BG2? Inquisitors I get, OP'd dispel, etc, but why Monks?
I don't get it either, but the identity of the Monk as a purported "magekiller" has been asserted often in tabletop (but it failed miserably in 3e, which BG2 borrows from somewhat); Monk never really had the tools to do that. All I can think of is that he can stealth up to a mage and punch him really hard in the dick, or run past a group of mobs with his high movement speed and punch the mage in the dick, but in reality, the Monk falls apart like every other martial the moment the mage starts Flying (or, in terms of our favourite video games, gets himself a lot of defenses) but Backstab works better for that purpose. You do have decent saving throw bonuses and you keep growing magic resistance, but none of that really screams "magekiller", as you have no real way to punch through magical defenses, esp. with how EEs now forbid the Monk from using most wands. I suppose Stealth -> Stunning Fist is a solid opener, but SCS causes mages to begin the fight with defensive contingencies, so that's also often unreliable.

But yeah, Monk is generally a late-blooming all-purpose killing machine with fun, flavor abilities, but I don't see how they measure up specifically in magekilling to a Dwarven (Shorty saves means higher saving throws than the Monk bonus) Berserker (immunity to imprisonment and maze is huge, especially solo, where Maze kills the Bhaalspawn; Berserkers are generally broken, and a TuTu'd/EE'd Berserker in BG1 can farm Sirines at leisure with some antidote support), or what distinguishes them in that cathegory. They sure can "tank" spells well, but so can Viconia with Human Skin, and she has her own ways to disable enemies that stay more relevant throughout the game. Monk doesn't even become a great killer of, well, anything until BG2 kicks in, whereas Clerics get an AoE silence really quickly. And they can begin casting it from Sanctuary for surprise points.

Monk can take Scarlet Ninja-To the moment they scrounge up enough cash to spend at Joluv's in Copper Coronet - which is their one unique weapon, and comes with an interesting boon of +1 APR and a poison damage abiility (it becomes a go-to dual-wielding weapon for rogues and bards with UAI who are still using the Belm+Kundane combo to boost their weak APR). This lets you pierce through Stoneskin and constantly cause small incremental damage to interrupt the wizard. But the Assassin can do that at-will for free and also enchant ranged weapons that way - dart-throwing Assassin with 3 APR is pretty dangerous throughout the series up until ToB, shuts down pretty much every mage in BG1 (except maybe Shandalar or some other bullshit you're not supposed to fight at all, and who is a cheese challenge to those who really care to dig into it) and is still relevant throughout BG2.

Bards of all flavors advance their caster-level really fast, so a Bard with Dispel or Breach also, implicitly, has superior tools in their magekilling ways - especially if they're a Blade.

And when you take into account that a few dangerous wizards are also undead, overleveled soloist Clerics can sometimes shut down the encounter before it has a chance to begin.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
isnt it because Monks begin stacking Spell Resistance as they level up and eventually become SR-tanks due to being etra-planar

frankly speaking though a simple invisible Rogue with some dank magic weapon doing a backstab should be enough to 1-hit kill any mage or at least force their contingencies to trigger.

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
isnt it because Monks begin stacking Spell Resistance as they level up
Yeah, but I mostly take issue with how Monks generally take quite a while to unlock these properties and they still do not translate to having an all-purpose solution for mage fighting (if a Monk is a magekiller but needs party support to do so, then, well, that means the party dynamic is working!). Compare to Barbarians, who are ultimate physical damage tanks way before they access Hardiness and Defender of Easthaven offhand. If you only want a character to tank spells with, Viconia is better at that throughout the game (stronger base resistance, multiple ways to improve it, anti-caster utility, only falls off compared to Monk in the endgame) and we wouldn't call her "cheese".

Now I wish you could just make a Dwarven Monk and really double-down on safety from spells. Especially since Grimgnaw was the coolest part of NWN OC, to get back on track a little bit. ;)

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014
isnt it because Monks begin stacking Spell Resistance as they level up and eventually become SR-tanks due to being etra-planar

frankly speaking though a simple invisible Rogue with some dank magic weapon doing a backstab should be enough to 1-hit kill any mage or at least force their contingencies to trigger.

This is what I was thinking -- a rogue or a fighter with some stacked defensive buffs is probably a better shot.

Beyond this, though, I cannot think of any mages in BGII who were legit difficult except for, say, Kangaxx and other story-centric mages. And even then, Insect Plague/Summon Insects + mobbing said shitheel mage with your party = instant death. At least in a game like PoE you had to worry about engagement/disengage attacks, and better overall positioned battles where a mage would stay behind the tanks, etc. In BGII, the dummies just stood there, taking Carsomyr up the ass.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom