Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition - Beamdog's final enhancement - now with new premium modules

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Hordes of the Underdark was really good. It had a satisfying progression from the ruins of Watergate to the dungeons of an insane archmage to an entire alien underworld then finally straight to hell, and then back out in reverse order to fight the ultimate devil.

That's why it was silly and tasteless.

The Underdark arc should have been separate from the Nine hells arc.

There is a big thematic problem and pacing problem in HotU.

Justinian

Arcane
Developer
I hated SoU the most because I played as a druid without realizing pets suck up your xp and you end up underleveled. And the beginning snow area is extremely boring.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Parry is basically a waste of time because it doesn't really synergize with anything else and it only works on the first attack of a flurry, so if an enemy has more than 3 attacks per round one of them is always going to go through. It also doesn't allow you to exceed your attacks per round, so if you have 3 attacks you can only riposte three times. Parry is designed as the defensive combat stance for dexterity characters, I guess. It's not as bad as Dirty Fighting in any case.

jf8350143

Liturgist
I completely forget there is dumb dialogue in this game.

Played a 8 intelligence character and almost all the dialogues are different.

Last edited:

jf8350143

Liturgist
Why would bioware think making a DnD game where you can only control one character(and only have one henchmen) is a good idea?

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Hordes of the Underdark was really good. It had a satisfying progression from the ruins of Watergate to the dungeons of an insane archmage to an entire alien underworld then finally straight to hell, and then back out in reverse order to fight the ultimate devil.

That's why it was silly and tasteless.

The Underdark arc should have been separate from the Nine hells arc.

There is a big thematic problem and pacing problem in HotU.

Infinitron Counter argument then?

Lacrymas

Arcane
The first actually interesting piece of writing from SoU until now - Valen stops you and asks what makes you special and why you were put in command of the rebel army for simply appearing. This is a very good question that the game itself doesn't have an answer to. You are given some impotent and irrelevant ways to answer that go nowhere and the only way this entire thing is justified is because you do indeed defeat the Valsharess in the end, but that is entirely postfactum.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
The first actually interesting piece of writing from SoU until now - Valen stops you and asks what makes you special and why you were put in command of the rebel army for simply appearing. This is a very good question that the game itself doesn't have an answer to. You are given some impotent and irrelevant ways to answer that go nowhere and the only way this entire thing is justified is because you do indeed defeat the Valsharess in the end, but that is entirely postfactum.

HotU was a disappointment for me overall and felt a little mindless and rushed

Gromoer

Educated
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I can’t take seriously words Writing and SoU being used together. I dunno, maybe I am too old for this shit. Probably, but I remember even IWD2 having some dialogs that were genuinely good and some quests that were well written. I haven’t gone too far in my playthrough as I still struggle finding a build that would be interesting to play with, but so far it was a pure cringe fest. Ah shit why is it so hard to enjoy a game nowadays?

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Speaking of HotU, what is the best SoU -> HotU bridging module? I know which one won the competition, but is it really the best one?

The Nether Scrolls won the comp but I am hearing that Shadowhaunt is a good alternative

You are given some impotent and irrelevant ways to answer that go nowhere and the only way this entire thing is justified is because you do indeed defeat the Valsharess in the end, but that is entirely postfactum.
It would have made far more sense had you been the Hero of Neverwinter, with the monstrous amount of experience you gained in the war with Morag rather than the "Literally who" of SoU. The final act of HotU would also have been far more meaningful when you reunite with a certain someone, frozen and alone.

Much was sacrificed on the altar of Deekin. Too much.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
When I run this game, I get corrupted graphics. I have no issues whatsoever with the original versions of the games, just with the enhanced version; GoG could not solve it. :(

Cael

Arcane
You are given some impotent and irrelevant ways to answer that go nowhere and the only way this entire thing is justified is because you do indeed defeat the Valsharess in the end, but that is entirely postfactum.
It would have made far more sense had you been the Hero of Neverwinter, with the monstrous amount of experience you gained in the war with Morag rather than the "Literally who" of SoU. The final act of HotU would also have been far more meaningful when you reunite with a certain someone, frozen and alone.

Much was sacrificed on the altar of Deekin. Too much.
There isn't all that much that needed to be altered to put Deekin into a Hero of Neverwinter thing. All they had to do was for the wandering kobold to meet up with the Hero and go ga-ga over meeting a famous person. But of course, they flubbed it.

There isn't all that much that needed to be altered to put Deekin into a Hero of Neverwinter thing. All they had to do was for the wandering kobold to meet up with the Hero and go ga-ga over meeting a famous person. But of course, they flubbed it.
Yes, and it makes me wonder which retard was responsible for strolling into the office a week before launch to tell the team they were no longer working on an expansion for the OC, but rather for SoU. At least half of the potential emotional weight of the story was neutered from go due to that decision.

Lacrymas

Arcane
You can theoretically import your OC character into HotU, but the game doesn't recognize that and you still have the Relic of the Reaper in your inventory. Which you didn't get in SoU, so anyone who doesn't know about the bridge module competition would be extremely confused as to what that thing is.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Can you persuade the duergar on the Maker's island to help you against the Valsharess? I have +25 Persuade but their leader doesn't seem to budge, so maybe it's one of those impossible to pass checks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom