Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition - Beamdog's final enhancement - now with new premium modules

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Hey Beamdog !
Here is how to get money from NWN and get it living again :
1. Patch the game. Seriously . That remaster is nothing more than a glorified patch. Everybody would have applauded you if you released that patch with those minor enhancements, and increased compatibility, and added multiplayer.
2. Advertise the patch. Unveil your intents on bringing new life to NWN. Keep on selling the game.

You're welcome.

Afterwards, once you have a functioning base that you haven't made people spend money for again, yes, it's okay if you sell some premium modules, make new expansions, and all that shit. Matter of fact, that would be pretty cool and unheard of. You know what ? Sell server instances too, like Minecraft is doing. Some people have cool ideas but don't want to host it themselves. Make money that way.

But you didn't do that. You made a patch, and sell said patch 20/40 bucks. I'm too lazy to check. It's too expensive anyway.

"Compatibility with modern systems and widescreen support" is not a remaster. It's a fucking patch.

Patches aren't remasters.

For fuck sake, Beamdog.

Let me make it clearer.

This is a remaster.

34345292033_f28ef5ced0_h.jpg

This is a patch.
CHANGE NOTES
--------------------
-fixed compatibility issues with modern OS
-Added widescreen resolutions and three shaders.
-Changed the lobby IP to make multiplayer working again.

LEARN THE FUCKING DIFFERENCE.

Last edited:

imweasel

With NwN2's quick cast menu I can cast any wizard spell with a single click. In NwN I open the menu with a right click, I choose the wizard spells, I choose spell level and then I choose the spell. Making semi circles with the mouse pointer as I go.
You have to be pretty masochistic to use the shitty radial menu in NWN although you have 36 quick bar slots at your disposal. Just sayin'....

Just to be clear, I prefer the UI in NWN 2 myself.

Last edited by a moderator:

Delterius

Arcane
With NwN2's quick cast menu I can cast any wizard spell with a single click. In NwN I open the menu with a right click, I choose the wizard spells, I choose spell level and then I choose the spell. Making semi circles with the mouse pointer as I go.
You have to be pretty masochistic to use the shitty radial menu in NWN although you have 36 quick slot bars at your disposal. Just sayin'....
True enough, which is why I said:

imweasel

New twitch stream. Watch if you are interested in hearing Mr. Marketing Trent tell us why we should shell out 20+ dollars for a simple patch.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Hey Beamdog !
Here is how to get money from NWN and get it living again :
1. Patch the game. Seriously . That remaster is nothing more than a glorified patch. Everybody would have applauded you if you released that patch with those minor enhancements, and increased compatibility, and added multiplayer.
2. Advertise the patch. Unveil your intents on bringing new life to NWN. Keep on selling the game.

You're welcome.

Afterwards, once you have a functioning base that you haven't made people spend money for again, yes, it's okay if you sell some premium modules, make new expansions, and all that shit. Matter of fact, that would be pretty cool and unheard of. You know what ? Sell server instances too, like Minecraft is doing. Some people have cool ideas but don't want to host it themselves. Make money that way.

But you didn't do that. You made a patch, and sell said patch 20/40 bucks. I'm too lazy to check. It's too expensive anyway.

"Compatibility with modern systems and widescreen support" is not a remaster. It's a fucking patch.

Patches aren't remasters.

For fuck sake, Beamdog.

Let me make it clearer.

This is a remaster.

34345292033_f28ef5ced0_h.jpg

This is a patch.
CHANGE NOTES
--------------------
-fixed compatibility issues with modern OS
-Added widescreen resolutions and three shaders.
-Changed the lobby IP to make multiplayer working again.

LEARN THE FUCKING DIFFERENCE.

You pretty much nailed it.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I don't get the "Compatibility with modern systems and widescreen support" part.

My Neverwinter Nights Diamond Edition runs beautifully on a pretty modern rig from 2016 (PC built with Witcher 3 and other graphical monster in mind). Even with 10 GBs of mods improving every aspect of the game, including the visuals. It also runs decently on a laptop from 2011. Both with Windows 10 at the moment (although after upgrading the laptop to Windows 10 I had to manually download some recent nvidia drivers).

So what's the problem with modern systems? BTW, the resolution modes of Diamond Edition support widescreen without any issues. Don't know about the earlier versions of Neverwinter.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
I don't get the "Compatibility with modern systems and widescreen support" part.

My Neverwinter Nights Diamond Edition runs beautifully on a pretty modern rig from 2016 (PC built with Witcher 3 and other graphical monster in mind). Even with 10 GBs of mods improving every aspect of the game, including the visuals. It also runs decently on a laptop from 2011. Both with Windows 10 at the moment (although after upgrading the laptop to Windows 10 I had to manually download some recent nvidia drivers).

So what's the problem with modern systems? BTW, the resolution modes of Diamond Edition support widescreen without any issues. Don't know about the earlier versions of Neverwinter.

They add like two buttons, and exploit the retards who go "OH OLD GAMES GOD HOW WOULD I RUN THEM DO I GOOGLE OR SOMETHING OH GOD".

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I've also never had a problem with running the game, all the problems were evaporated when I set it to run on Win XP compatibility. They probably rewrote the entire code just so they can add very small (and questionable) improvements, like they did with PS:T. They were wetting their panties in anticipation to add a long lost male lover of Aribeth's husband probably, but they can't do it because "muh bigots review bomb our game because trannies". Which was kind of the case, but not because of bigotry. I predicated that they'll be too afraid to add whatever they want, besides graphic "improvements", to anything else anymore because of the overwhelming (and undeserved) negative reviews they got for SoD, so these very low-effort things are all they dare to do.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
If they weren't so lazy, instead of adding new elements to the OC, they could create their own campaign as a bonus for people who would spend 20 $ on their "EE".

It wouldn't have to match the scale of Hordes of the Underdark, or the quality of some of the fanmade campaigns (let's be realistic here). But they would be able to show their creativity, introduce their own ideas and nobody would complain about it. They could even go full SJW. As long as it's an optional campaign, it would be ok.

imweasel

Trent said they want to add on to Neverwinter Nights (new modules), but they won't change any of the old content like they did with the Baldur's Gate EE's.

Lacrymas

Arcane
They could hire rogueknight333 to actually have someone who knows what he is doing on the team before creating any kind of modules. While SoD wasn't as bad as I thought it would be it still isn't very good, so clearly they lack some talent.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
True, hiring experienced module creators would surely increase their chances of success, especially if they wish to make new, quality content. They worked with modders on Torment EE, did they not?

imweasel

Trent said in the last stream that they have good contacts with many very talented Neverwinter Nights modders. We shall see what that could lead to.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Wasn't it made clear that they were only "consultants" that told them what would be useful, what won't be and what will break some modules?

imweasel

Yes, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility that Beamdog could hire some of these modders to work on a module.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Trent said they want to add on to Neverwinter Nights (new modules)

A small reminder of what common words mean when a game publisher speaks.

"will be released on date X" = A part of this will probably come out. But sometime after X.
"Planned for future" = don't hold your breath.
"We want to... "= fucking never

Tigranes

Arcane
I predicated that they'll be too afraid to add whatever they want, besides graphic "improvements", to anything else anymore because of the overwhelming (and undeserved) negative reviews they got for SoD, so these very low-effort things are all they dare to do.

Nearly everything they've ever done is low-effort, and if they can't even do that because of some criticism they should shut up and shut doors already. You'd think that at this point they'd actually be making their own game for once.

Yes, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility that Beamdog could hire some of these modders to work on a module.

Given that they keep having to churn out EEs for minimum of work done to scrape in money, and still can't seem to make a real game themselves, I wonder how much support they could give to those modders. Beamdog already took on well known, good modders like Avenger from the BG scene, but that doesn't seem to matter when the scope of your EE projects is so miniscule.

circ

Arcane
I tried out NWN 1 the other day, and had no obvious compatibility problems and 16:9 worked fine out of the box. Not sure what they're supposed to be really fixing.

As for interface, it's serviceable I guess. Doesn't let you equip items with a single click that I noticed, but the radial menu is really bad. ToEE did radial menu the best. No contest. They're similar, but the latter looks better and is easier to read. Well really everything about the ToEE interface is great, good inventory, where as NWN 1 splits inventory into 4 screens even though there's plenty of room. And no sorting hotkey that I remember.

Cael

Arcane
I tried out NWN 1 the other day, and had no obvious compatibility problems and 16:9 worked fine out of the box. Not sure what they're supposed to be really fixing.

As for interface, it's serviceable I guess. Doesn't let you equip items with a single click that I noticed, but the radial menu is really bad. ToEE did radial menu the best. No contest. They're similar, but the latter looks better and is easier to read. Well really everything about the ToEE interface is great, good inventory, where as NWN 1 splits inventory into 4 screens even though there's plenty of room. And no sorting hotkey that I remember.
You can drag your items to the hot bar and use that for equipping and changing.

I dono't use the radial menu much, to be honest. I tend to drop everything into the hot bar or use shortcut keys instead. There are a couple of things that I did use the radial for and that is to access companion inventory and/or tell them to not move/move.

Cael

Arcane
You really think Beamdog would PAY people to work on mods for NWN? That seems a bit... optimistic...

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"ToEE did radial menu the best"

Kiddin' right? TOEE's radial menus had a habit of opening up half way off the screen. LMAO

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom