Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Neverwinter Nights 2 install problem

Saxon1974

Prophet
So I went back to play NWN2 to play a couple of mods that sounded interesting.

Well, I wanted to get my game current before doing that. Thing is my auto update wasn't working. Kept getting an error saying a file was corrupt.

So I decided to try and un-install and re-install NWN2. Bad idea!

I can't get it to install at all now. I keep getting a CRC error saying the VO.zip file on my PC does not match that on the disk and that the media may be corrupt.

I unistalled NWN2 and ran a registry cleaner and then tried to install it and no luck. I updated my DVD drives firmware and ran a chkdsk \r and defrag.

I then copied the files to my hard drive and tried running from there and got the same error so I don't think its my DVD drive.

Could this be a copy protection issue? Does anyone have a clue where I can look?

I guess Im never playing this game again as I am stumped on how to get it to install.

MetalCraze

Arcane
never use NWN2's auto-patcher. there is a shitload of threads on nwn2 forums about how shitty it is.
you will have to do a manual patching. nwnvault even has a whole section dedicated to it with instructions on how to

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Can I assume you just installed NWN2 then installed Mask of the Betrayer... then hit the update?

Saxon1974

Prophet
skyway said:
never use NWN2's auto-patcher. there is a shitload of threads on nwn2 forums about how shitty it is.
you will have to do a manual patching. nwnvault even has a whole section dedicated to it with instructions on how to

Great product there eh?

Well I would manually patch if I can get the base game to re-install, which I can't.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Jaesun said:
Can I assume you just installed NWN2 then installed Mask of the Betrayer... then hit the update?

Hmm, I really can't remember because I installed NWN2 when it first came out however long ago that was. Im pretty sure I ran some autoupdates before MOTB came out, but I did buy and install MOTB as well.

If I remember correctly I think my game version was: 1.10.1116

Saxon1974

Prophet
I wonder if I got a crack version of the game would that work? I have no idea where to even look for one though as I have never done that before.

Crichton

Prophet
I've heard the occasional chatter about the auto-patcher myself, but I've used it since the base game came out and I've never had an issue. The issue you're getting doesn't sounds like the disk itself is scratched or something. People on the bio boards try to fix issues by reinstalling all the time. It never helps, but I've never seen one have problems with the install.

Edit: Speak of the devil, just for the heck of it, I scanned the tech support board and look what's at the top;

"Hello everyone, I've got the DVD version of NWN2, and I've had it for awhile now. When I first had it I could install it and uninstall it as I pleased, but recently my PC seems unable to install a lot of games, NWN2 among them. Whenever I try to install NWN2 it gets an error at VO.zip, or if I ignore that error, it gets a catastrophic error around installing the Sound.zip or whatever that large file is. I'm not really sure what's been causing this, I haven't been able to install anything really, Oblivion, NWN2, etc, they all mess up at some point in the installation. I don't think this is related to the DVD, as I've cleaned them in a disk doctor a few times; I've also even replaced my DVD/RW drive and I seem to be getting the same problem. It's been this way for a month or two now, and it'd be great if someone could help me, thank you."

If this isn't you, perhaps you should try installing something else and see if anything flips out.

MetalCraze

Arcane
the problems with the auto-patcher are random. for some it works, for some - it doesn't. but it was always buggy. since 1.0 of 2006. they still didn't fix it.

@Saxon: install patches manually

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=NW ... tail&id=19

Proper patch path:

nwn2_pc_english_from100788_to104860.zip

nwn2_pc_english_from104860_to104870.zip

nwn2_pc_english_from104870_to105910.zip

nwn2_pc_english_from105910_to105912.zip

nwn2_pc_english_from105912_to106972.zip

nwn2_pc_english_from106972_to106973.zip

nwn2_pc_english_from106973_to106980.zip

nwn2_pc_english_from106980_to1101115.zip

-install MotB only at this point, just to be sure-

nwn2_pcx1_english_from1101115_to1101116.zip

nwn2_pcx1_english_from1101116_to1111152.zip

you will have to find rtp patcher software. it will patch the game offline
try this one: http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=nw ... tail&id=12

Saxon1974

Prophet
Crichton said:
I've heard the occasional chatter about the auto-patcher myself, but I've used it since the base game came out and I've never had an issue. The issue you're getting doesn't sounds like the disk itself is scratched or something. People on the bio boards try to fix issues by reinstalling all the time. It never helps, but I've never seen one have problems with the install.

Edit: Speak of the devil, just for the heck of it, I scanned the tech support board and look what's at the top;

"Hello everyone, I've got the DVD version of NWN2, and I've had it for awhile now. When I first had it I could install it and uninstall it as I pleased, but recently my PC seems unable to install a lot of games, NWN2 among them. Whenever I try to install NWN2 it gets an error at VO.zip, or if I ignore that error, it gets a catastrophic error around installing the Sound.zip or whatever that large file is. I'm not really sure what's been causing this, I haven't been able to install anything really, Oblivion, NWN2, etc, they all mess up at some point in the installation. I don't think this is related to the DVD, as I've cleaned them in a disk doctor a few times; I've also even replaced my DVD/RW drive and I seem to be getting the same problem. It's been this way for a month or two now, and it'd be great if someone could help me, thank you."

If this isn't you, perhaps you should try installing something else and see if anything flips out.

Wow, no that's not me but sounds like the same issue. Weird. I did have a similar install error with one of my other games. Im gonna try a few others. I had some memory added to my PC about 6 months ago, so Im curious if that could involved although I wouldn't think memory would cause this type of error.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Those sound very much like copy protection issues or your maschine is full of crap software (just saying because I had to format c: last weekend because losts of stuff was acting strange and I couldn't repair it).

A cracked version wouldn't help since you usually install the game and apply the crack afterwards. And also I don't know of any crack for the current version. I looked because securom was getting on my nerves with delaying the loading time and making lots of noise...

Anyway, apart from contacting support the only solution I can think of is format c: which you probably don't want to do ;)

Shannow

Waster of Time
I'd really recommend contacting support first. Or following the support for that other guy with a similar problem.

Format c: is really a last resort. I only did it because stuff was irrepairably fucked up.

MetalCraze

Arcane
bah do not reformat. that's stupid. there is always another way for it. probably you will just need to kill your windows installation. just launch pc with the help of cd - delete windows folder and then install windows - windows will then consider it isn't installed and do a clean install.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Shannow said:
I'd really recommend contacting support first. Or following the support for that other guy with a similar problem.

Format c: is really a last resort. I only did it because stuff was irrepairably fucked up.

I will, I know reformatting really sucks. :x

Micmu

Magister
Don't remove the memory module! Run memtest86 first. If it finds any errors (after few hours of running) THEN you'll have to remove it (and run memtest again to see if you removed the faulty one).

MetalCraze

Arcane
memtest will take him the whole night to test his stuff + the time to install the game
removing memory stick - 30-40 mins including the time to install the game

there is a world of difference, right?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Reformatting really isn't necessary. Just try to install windows on another hard drive/partition, or do what skyway said. That way no data is lost.

You do keep a seperate partition or hard drive for your system though, right?

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
skyway said:
memtest will take him the whole night to test his stuff + the time to install the game
removing memory stick - 30-40 mins including the time to install the game

there is a world of difference, right?

Memtest will verify 100% that there is or isn't a problem with his RAM. Removing the memory stick won't.

While I'm at it, formatting is stupid unless your Windows install is borked from viruses or some other crazyness. Even then, it should be a last resort because it's a pain in the ass to do.

MetalCraze

Arcane
removing the memory stick may fix the problem with his install. this idea was posted here for a reason, because other people encountered the same problem.
if it will be because of that memory stick - then the problem will be pretty obvious. it is still better than spending 10 hours to do memtest's test and probably getting nothing as a result.
as memtest won't give you 100% verification.
f.e. all source engine games constantly crash on my PC (nothing else except them)
I know that the problem is being with my 256 MBs RAM 333 MHz stick conflicting with my another 512 MBs 400 MHz RAM stick. I removed 256 meg stick and every source game started to work perfectly.
I ran memtest tests. memtest showed that my memory is as perfect as a memory can be.

Saxon1974

Prophet
I took my pc in for another problem and had a shop install the additional memory. I took the case off and I can't tell which memory stick are the new ones.

Based on that i think I might try memtest86.

Don't you need a floppy drive to run memtest86 or can you just download it to your hardrive and run it?

It takes 10 hours to run? Guess I could run it over night.

MetalCraze

Arcane
cd or floppy
it takes as much as you will let it run. but devs suggest you run it for at least 4-5 full passes as minimum which is a full night. they recommend more time though.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Ok, thanks Skyway.

Not surprising Atari support is completely ignoring me, i can't even get access to their forum. Haven't heard anything back from the bioware forum yet either.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
If the memory is bad, it may show errors right away. Leave it running for two hours or so, if no errors come up it's probably not your RAM.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom