Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Neverwinter Nights 2 + Expansions Available on GOG

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Unless you are desperate for shitty D&D, skip the first one. Or at least skip the OC of NWN1 and only play the expansions - you can use the same character for both and they are superior in every way to the OC.

Gord

Arcane
There are a few nice mods available for NWN1, but so are for NWN2.
NWN1 doesn't offer something like MotB though, so there's no real "must play" content for it, imho.

selkin

Liturgist
I played with the OC of NWN1 but never went on to the expansions or to NWN2.
So you say the expansions are not as boring as the Original Campaign is? Because NWN1 is such a fail.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I played with the OC of NWN1 but never went on to the expansions or to NWN2.
So you say the expansions are not as boring as the Original Campaign is? Because NWN1 is such a fail.

The expansions are decent.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Shadows of Undrentide has improved low-level play and better level design than the OC. Hordes of Underdark is vastly better than OC and finally enables you to have TWO companions, shocking I know but believe me. One of which has to be Deekin for the dialogue so actually you only get one useful companion.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
For someone who has never touched either NWN should one skip the first altogether? Or play both?
Skip NWN1, you don't miss much even with the expansions.

In case NWN2 OC, it's fun enough to play through at least once. It gets noticiably better after the infamous Orc Caves, and by the latter parts of the game Obsidian does add some pretty good twists of their own to the standard DnD fare story. MotB is the main course though.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Shadows of Undrentide has improved low-level play and better level design than the OC. Hordes of Underdark is vastly better than OC and finally enables you to have TWO companions, shocking I know but believe me. One of which has to be Deekin for the dialogue so actually you only get one useful companion.

You need to use Deekin to finish the first chapter anyway or else you lose him for the rest of the game. The other companions aren't sent with you to the next chapter. I remember thinking that was rather awkward and arbitrary.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

selkin

Liturgist
I might give it a chance, since I crave for some good RPG these days, and it's a long time until Project Eternity or WL2 is here.

selkin

Liturgist
Thanks for the tip.
This Eador looks classy. Is it any good as HoMM 2-3 ?
And what about the writing? I don't need great stories and settings, just some good atmosphere.

Back to topic: I might just play MotB and that's it then

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
https://twitter.com/Cynicide/status/294579042303213569

XEcrW77.png

So I got intrigued by this "in theory" and emailed Chris Avellone about it. He has confirmed to me, after checking with Feargus, that Obsidian does get royalties from it - not just in theory, but also in fact.

MCA said:
... had to check with Feargus – the answer is yes, we do get royalties from it according to Feargus.

That's just in case anyone was wondering if buying NWN2 Complete on GOG also lets them support Obsidian.

I think "in theory" means Atari is bound by contract to give them a cut, hence "in theory", but they don't and Obsidian doesn't want to pursue it legally for a number of reasons.

lol your wrong !!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom