Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News "Neverwinter is truly a D&D game"

Baron

Arcane
Not a bad port of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles coin-op, but didn't quite capture the beloved Dungeons&Dragons game I invested so many hours in my pussy forrest slurping youth.

It greatly saddens me to know that the twelve and twenty sided dice we played with, once so derided by an unforgiving society and older brothers everywhere, would now be pitched squarely at that same group yet replaced by 10,000 sided dice and rapidly flowing combat equations that their simple minds could not hope to follow or fathom or adjust for armour class 0.

Mozgoëbstvo

Learned

Mortmal

Arcane
But wich one will be the shittiest ? The new ultima or the new neverwinter ? I think we should stop giving rpg of the year award, cause even the best ones released are quite far from the original vision we had of a rpg(wizardry, ultima, or fallout) ,theres only some good action rpgs left and some mmos .Frankly i can make a top 3 of 2012 myself , no need to vote the outcome is more than predictable.
Now when it come to the shittiest game of the year its tough, theres always new surprises, innovation , something even dumber than usual . Day one dlcs , extra hats to buy . Theres passion, theres innovation,from a new drm making it incompatible with some hardware to permanent internet connection for solo game. The art direction, most often wowish to get more people to buy it, dumbed down combat, the more year passes the more dumbing down . Hmm it didddnt work so well for amalur and yet i see neverwinter and that ultimateshit going that way as well ...I really cant tell wich will be the most spectacular fail, two prestigious license and everything i read about it smells horseshit.

Hollywood

Educated
Looks like there'll be no room for a lvl 12 Tiefling Monk/Sorcerer combo. That's a dying shame.

Seriously though, we'll let this one play out. The money is in WOW-style UIs, controls and gameplay. By deviating from the formula set as precedent by WOW, a publisher or self-funded developer is taking a giant financial risk. When you enter the fantasy MMO or RPG market, your potential customers are used to seeing certain features and elements in such games and this gives them a sense of familarity which goes a long way to helping them feel more comfortable in the game environment. In other words, the staples on which computer game genres have relied since the early days. Except that this time, rather than being developed by a one-person team in their bedroom, games like Neverwinter are developed on usually hundreds of thousands of pounds -- if not, millions -- in budget. Just like with major motion pictures, if the parties funding the venture have a weaker likelihood of gaining returns on their investment, then liberties of the design and development of the game will be restricted in part. This is one of the core reasons for the WOW style design being so prevalent in the game industry today, in the same vein that a hot chick must survive until the end in a horror film. It's the status quo -- and the status quo brings in the money.

Unless you're in-industry at a senior position in a highly respected -- and not necessarily large -- development studio or have some serious cred to your name in the games industry, realistically, you're not going to get very far in trying to change that status quo. Hey, even WOW was a big risk way back when it was being developed but it has paid off really well. Without the money Blizzard gained from it's massive success, Starcraft II and Diablo III would have been fainter propspects for development and, if they were developed, they would have been tied to more or less the same strict dev cycles as most any other game on the market, which would have likely led to poorer final products as a result instead of the exceptional quality of games that they turned out to be.

And, ultimately, that's not the way for industry as a whole to go. 'Better the devil you know than the devil you don't.

Black

Arcane
Oh yeah, I can totally see that.
I mean, fuck, DA2 vs Skyrim, which is worse and why- now that's a tough one!

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
You know it's a D&D game because there's a d20 in the UI. Why do people still make D&D licensed games? It's hard to believe it still has appeal in the realm of video games.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Truly a D&D game. It's sad what the D&D franchise has become... that said it looks like an okay-ish generic ARPG that I'd buy for $5. Wait, nevermind, Perfect World is publishing so I guess it'll be a F2P MMO.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Why are publishers so hellbent on ripping off World of Warcraft after all these years? Seriously, is there an actual reason, or are they just trying to throw their money away and this was the best way they could think up?
That's the reason most things get funded. I think that by now, there's not even actual people involved in the decision, just humungous financial trusts desperately seeking hard assets to sink money in to 'beat inflation' (avoid taxes), giant google hits data-crawlers, focus group contractors and simple genetic algorithms.

That is, if they are not 'micro-transactioning' on a 50 millisecond window where it is even more alien and utterly divorced of the 'product'

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Indeed. The reason it looks like WoW is because Perfect World is funding it -- I just recalled that if you preordered TL2 from them you got into the Neverwinter beta. So, yeah, it'll probably be a F2P MMO.

Edwin

Scholar
It was clear from the beginning that it will be shit.

and yeah I dont get it why the dnd license is needed to produce shitty action game(you dont need dnd to kill orcs,giants,spiders) i guess its just cryptic trying to sell their shit with a big IP on the box(Star Trek online,more like WeMilKYou Online)

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
WTF is this shit as it certainly isn't D&D? POR2 (not fun) and BGDA (whcih was actually fun) were more DnD than this shit.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Is that Dragon age 2 engine perchance?
It surely looks like it and sword combat resembles DA2's. Looks like one turd is never enough.

Oh yeah, I can totally see that.
I mean, fuck, DA2 vs Skyrim, which is worse and why- now that's a tough one!
Skyrim is nowhere near the shitness of DA2. It's actually quite playable with a few mods, and even vanilla.

Mortmal

Arcane
the original vision we had of a rpg(...fallout)

:what:

Fallout isnt that bad no ? You can make a small concession to modernity.

About comparing skyrim and DA 2, no , bioware is way ahed in shittiness than bethesda. bethesda improves, statisfied or not , you can see strong improvements from oblivion to skyrim . It could be more mature, the dragons could be err.. more like true dragons, behemoth of destruction, and the valhala part a bit more epic , but all in all its a good action rpg and hiking simulator, hours of good fun dont be hypocrits about it i see how many hours some played it on steam group.Its not an avelone game, thats for sure , but its acceptable.
Now dragon age 2 on the other hand, it all marketing , and a dumbing down of the original .Poor art direction, poor quest design, i cant rember anything positive about it.
A true contest of the champions would be more DA2 vs risen 2 .

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
FUCKING COCKSUCKING FUCK FUCKIDITY FUCKING SLAMFUCK TITFUCK MILKFUCK IN THIS COCKMARAUDING SHITTON OF FUCKING FUCKSUCK

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Imagine playing a DnD session and when your party is fighing a monster, the DM keeps yelling UNSTOPPABLE!

Truly, they have captured the essence of DnD.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom