Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Neverwinter Interview

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Neverwinter Interview

<p>Neverwinter isn't technically an MMORPG but an OMG. Which means the Codex can cover it. Right?</p>
<p>Massively <a href="http://www.massively.com/2010/08/23/massively-exclusive-jack-emmert-speaks-about-neverwinter-and-a/" target="_blank">interviewed Cryptics COO Jack Emmert</a>.</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>Massively: We weren't expecting Neverwinter to be a cooperative RPG; we were expecting another MMO from you guys -- so why the sudden departure?</strong>

Jack Emmert: First of all, there's the IP itself. Neverwinter originally was more of a cooperative RPG, although it has an MMO accent, where players could set up their own servers and so forth. Nevertheless, predominantly, it was smaller groups of people. From our point of view, we just had to take a look at ourselves and kind of change the way we were doing things, and with the tools and the resources with our previous MMOs, we knew that Neverwinter had to be the highest possible quality, and we had to improve, dramatically, everything that we did. The best way to do that was to sort of change the style of gameplay so that the focus wasn't on hundreds of hours of mediocre (some would say even worse than mediocre) content, but instead create a rich story-driven multiplayer game. We want to make a great game -- the original Neverwinter is a true classic, and it's really important to hold to that standard.

<strong>You've described the game as not an MMO but a cooperative RPG.</strong>

(laughs) An OMG.

<strong>Right, an OMG, the online multiplayer game, yes. We also have these open spaces, public space, and privatized spaces. They aren't instances, and it's not an open world, and I'm trying to wrap my head around this, could you explain it a bit more?</strong>

We'll have worlds that are certainly cooperative. How many players will be in a particular area will be a little bit up in the air. There will be, for lack of a better word, dungeons, that you and your teammates go in, that will just be for you and your teammates, so more like a traditional instance would be in an MMO. Players will have lots of controls over whether something's public or private and so forth, and we're working on those various options now. As we go into beta and get feedback from people actually using the tools, we'll add more, but the idea of a large zone with hundreds of players, that isn't what Neverwinter is, no.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>A rich story driven multiplayer game, instead of hundreds of hours of worse than mediocre content. Sounds like a plan.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/99394-neverwinter-interview.html">Gamebanshee</a></p>

Pablosdog

Prophet
Anyone hear of Neverwinter nights the aol game in 1991? Yeah, I'm pretty sure Cryptic is just heading more in line with that direction, rather than the bioware games. Doesn't mean it'll be good though. I won't pass judgement until i've actually seen gameplay or heard some more details.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Make good engine with good toolset and good camera an d I'll be happy. Well, you could just remake original NWN with additions and I'll be happy. And no dling map from server like in NWN2!

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Pablosdog said:
Anyone hear of Neverwinter nights the aol game in 1991? Yeah, I'm pretty sure Cryptic is just heading more in line with that direction, rather than the bioware games. Doesn't mean it'll be good though. I won't pass judgement until i've actually seen gameplay or heard some more details.

That's what i keep feeling to.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Lavoisier said:
I'd play it but only 5 classes? What the fuck.

No kidding. The appeal of D&D video games is that it has at least a dozen poorly developed classes, half of which nobody plays. What is this diablo 2 shit doing in my D&D :x

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom