Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Need some games to use Reaper Minis with

Garm

Learned
So I've decided that I'm going to back Reaper's kickstarter--I've wanted to get into miniatures for a few years, but the high cost always put me off. Since Reaper's offering about 200 minis for only $100 I figured now would be the time to jump in.

I'm open to either board games or PnP stuff--bonus points for themes like Western/Cyberpunk/Victorian/weird stuff. Oh, and print & play is also a plus.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
gu_20120823.jpg

Most board games that work well with minis already come with their own minis. For pen&paper usage, it really depends on the group you're playing with. Some d&d DMs love miniatures on a fancy battlemap. Others don't care overmuch for them. Minis for the sake of minis is ok if you really want to paint. But if you're looking to use them for gaming as opposed to just painting them for fun, there are probably better places to look.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Thing is, the minis appear to be of a pretty good quality. And 50 cents per mini is really goddamn cheap.

So if you know exactly what you want to use them for (painting, you're already running a campaign, you already have a board game you want to substitute pieces in) it's a good deal.

But if you're buying them just 'cause it's a lot of plastic you're still spending 100+ kwabucks on something you might never use. The main things that kept me from springing for them for D&D usage is 1) We use digital maps + projectors in my regular groups and 2) Many of the monsters you'd want in groups of 4-10 only have 1-2 minis in a set.

Well if you like Cyberpunk style games you can check out Chaos 6010 A.D. Reaper has always created some great miniatures and their kickstarter looks like it has been a tremendous success. We always use major miniature set ups in our Chaos games. We make our own buildings and use a lot of Scrying Eye Games dry erase maps that they have for the streets. If you haven't seen Dwarven Forge yet they make some amazing terrain with hand painted molds. All of the Chaos books are sold here in PDF. If you are interested I can get you a discount coupon too. http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/index.php?&manufacturers_id=3578

Project: Eternity

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Wow, talk about overkill.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom