Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Need info. on older RPGs and VISTA!

thotharok

Novice
HI, I am trying to find out if I can play the following games on a pc with a VISTA 64BIT os. The games are 1)dungeon siege 2)dungeon siege legends of aranna 3)dungeon lords CE 4)neverwinter nights diamond/dvd 5)arcanum 6)mage knight apocalypse 7)sacred gold 8)fate(store bought version), 9)baldurs gate 2 collectors edition 10)silverfall 11)divine divinity 12) icewind dale 1 and 2 , 13) temple of elemental evil . I would be gratefull for any info. on any of these games! thanks!

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Sure, you can.

1st step: Buy or torrent or otherwise get yourself Windows XP.

2nd step: Insert the XP CD, restart your PC and select "start from CD" in your BIOS.

3rd step: Install XP on a partition/hard drive of your choice.

4th step: Install and play the games, they work perfectly now!

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
There is this thing from M$ called "windows virtual pc" I *believe* it works on XP.. I don't know if it works on Vista. Supposedly it can re-create a Windows 98(?) environment... which should make any old games work.

Has any one used this, and is this free?

Just curious.

phanboy_iv

Liturgist
Jaesun said:
There is this thing from M$ called "windows virtual pc" I *believe* it works on XP.. I don't know if it works on Vista. Supposedly it can re-create a Windows 98(?) environment... which should make any old games work.

Just curious.

Yup. Free, works fine in Vista, but I think it doesn't work with Direct3D games. DirectDraw (2D) works fine, though.And you need a Windows install CD to install in the virtual machine.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Not only Win98. It can install any Microsoft OS, including DOS. I'm not sure, but I think you can install Linuxes and stuff too.

Jiles

Educated
phanboy_iv said:
Jaesun said:

Just curious.

Yup. Free, works fine in Vista, but I think it doesn't work with Direct3D games. DirectDraw (2D) works fine, though.And you need a Windows install CD to install in the virtual machine.

I think VMWare supports this, but it's not free.

In any case, I would advise against gaming in a virtualised environment. It's only just playable on a powerful computer.

At least Arcanum and ToEE work. Don't know about the others. The only game I haven't been able to get working thus far is X-Wing Alliance, because of it's 16-bit installer.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
phanboy_iv said:
Jaesun said:

Just curious.

Thanks for the info. So far, any Direct3D games (Say Fallout/Fallout2) work fine on XP with the Windows 98 compatibility, for me at least. And DOSBox has worked fine for all my 0ld sk00l needs.

Only Ultima 9 has this wonderful Skeleton crashing bug, using XP even with compatibility. Though it is such a horrible fucking Ultima, I'm not missing much.

uhjghvt

Scholar
older RPGs should work fine against Vista, I recommend an RPG-7 with a thermobaric warhead but an RPG-2 will get the job done too

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom