Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Necromancer/Summoner character

Elwro said:
OracleX said:
I see Torchlight has a summoner kind of character. Didn't it do its job right, since its not mentioned?
The Alchemist? Somehow I ended up using the ranged damage spells and buffs. Transforming my pet cat into various creatures was enough for me :D But yes, there are some summoning options...

The warrior can also "summon" some auras that act like pets.

Mastermind said:
If Strategy/RPG hybrids count, Warlords Battlecry 3 has some pretty decent summoner hero types. Build them right and you don't need to bother with a base in the campaign, just summon elementals/undead with shittons of experience and level the entire map.
Warlords Battlecry 3
Oh mang, that fucking game :love: :bro:
The whole Undead faction is a lot of fun to play in Skirmish. They can upgrade their units right on a battlefield, in the middle of a fight. You can build/summon bunch of skeletons, and if you have required buildings and enough resources, you can upgrade them to Death Knights or Liches. The upgrade tree is something like this: Skeleton -> Wight -> Slayer Knight -> Doom Knight or Lich. Liches can turn TEN dead bodies on the battlefield into skeletons. Oh, and after upgrade, unit has FULL health again. Also, faction has vampires and bats. And lichdragon. Skeletons have resistance to piercing damage, but also vulnerability to crushing dmg. Classic.

flabbyjack

Arcane
Oriental European said:
Mastermind said:
If Strategy/RPG hybrids count, Warlords Battlecry 3 has some pretty decent summoner hero types. Build them right and you don't need to bother with a base in the campaign, just summon elementals/undead with shittons of experience and level the entire map.
Warlords Battlecry 3
The whole Undead faction is a lot of fun to play in Skirmish. They can upgrade their units right on a battlefield, in the middle of a fight. You can build/summon bunch of skeletons, and if you have required buildings and enough resources, you can upgrade them to Death Knights or Liches. The upgrade tree is something like this: Skeleton -> Wight -> Slayer Knight -> Doom Knight or Lich. Liches can turn TEN dead bodies on the battlefield into skeletons. Oh, and after upgrade, unit has FULL health again. Also, faction has vampires and bats. And lichdragon. Skeletons have resistance to piercing damage, but also vulnerability to crushing dmg. Classic.
Oh man I forgot about that one! I played it once and never bothered to pick it up again, but Warlords 3 is definitely worth a try for the OP

There is also Daemon faction, and they can summon various demons one of which is huge, red, flying and has giant whip. I think they have p. complex summoning system, but i cant recall it now. I remember that one of their units can make souls when they kill someone, and hero can collect them for mana. "Their" hero class is a Summoner, and they also have unit called Summoner, i think he can summon imps and those red guyz.
Enough summoning for you? :smug:

laclongquan

Arcane
Neverwinter Nights 2, the Druid class

At the end of your epic levels you can summon a Dragon or Shapeshifting into one. Beside a host of other summons you can call.

Or Pale Master/Mistress epic class. Necromany for the winz?

Necromancer--Red Wizard of Thay could be good.

Torchlight?

5jDzm.jpg

Yeah, you can work a summoner. Note, this was before I managed to acquire Ember Sentry, a floating crystal that follows you around, blasts oncoming foes and *starts* with the ability to up all damage by 142% or thereabouts.

A zombie is missing from this picture before they don't stick to you. Just wander off randomly when enemies aren't nearby. No Summoned Swords because I used my last Charm slot for Web as summon support. Also could have had a couple more Skeleton Swordsmen on screen, but I think this made the point well enough.

With Ember Sentry and Burning Bind (dramatically ups their damage and attack speed) up, I can just trot along throwing Ice Crystals or Webs to hamper enemies.

Teepo

Scholar
OracleX said:
I'm looking for a RPG(like) game were I can play a decent necromancer or summoner.
Games I played that had such characters available which didn't completly suck (imo):

Arcanum
BG II
Summoner
Diablo II

Which game do you guys recommend which one can play as a summoner/necromancer?
Tnx

In dungeon crawl stone soup you can be a summoner or a necromancer. If your character survives long enough you can eventually get both skills.

Spells for the starting summoning book is
1) summon small mammals
2) summon imp
3) summon canine familiar
4) summon scorpions
5) summon ice beast

I think there was something else as well. As your summoning skill increases the spell's power level also gets better, so initially you can only summon jackals and hounds with summon canine familiar but eventually you get war dogs and wolves and maybe even wargs or something (Wolf approximate size of a horse.)

You will eventually happen to run across a high level summoning book where you can summon hydras or dragons. If you happen to miscast Summon scorpion there's a chance that you will summon a hostile scorpion, so.

DCSS in general feels like a Lord of the Rings pen and paper game transfered to a rogue like. All the weapons in MERP are in DCSS. But DCSS has a bunch of unique aspects as well, particularly the Gods.

Necromancy is pretty coo as well. It has a bunch of spells that create permanent summons from skeletons or corpses (the summons from the book of summoning only last a short while.) The higher level necromancy spell I think allow you to enslave a soul permanently to your aid. Necromancy also has a bunch of attack spells versus living and undead creatures, though I'm not sure if they have anything against demons.

There are quite a number of summoning and necromancy spells, as well as conjuration, hex, charm, translocation, transmutation and elemental magic spells. The cool thing is you're not tied to a class. You can be a conjurer\necromancer if you pick the conjurer class and join the Necromancy god (he will give you a book of necromancy shortly after joining him.) Really, you can be whatever class you find spellbooks for.

Summoner\Necromancer\Ice elementalist- whatever.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
flabbyjack said:
Oriental European said:
Mastermind said:
Warlords Battlecry 3
Oh man I forgot about that one! I played it once and never bothered to pick it up again, but Warlords 3 is definitely worth a try for the OP

Warlords BATTLECRY 3. There is also a warlords 3 (the battlecry series is a rts/rpg spinoff of a TBS series) but it's a different game.

fake edit: it's also on gog (though strangely they don't have 1 or 2).

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Oriental European said:
There is also Daemon faction, and they can summon various demons one of which is huge, red, flying and has giant whip. I think they have p. complex summoning system, but i cant recall it now. I remember that one of their units can make souls when they kill someone, and hero can collect them for mana.

It's not really that complex, but in late game once you gather enough summoner units they just keep summoning daemons which in turn summon imps. Pretty good, cheap army. Though the game is so full of exploits that nothing is really safe. Suppose it's still better than wbc1 when invisibility could affect entire armies and you could level someone's base in 2 seconds flat by sending mystics in and ice ringing everything to oblivion. :thumbsup:

"Their" hero class is a Summoner, and they also have unit called Summoner, i think he can summon imps and those red guyz.

It's not really their class as it's been in the game since 1 i think (when there was no daemon faction). They can summon quasits (the builder/miners), imps, succubi and daemons (the whip guys) as you unlock more spells. Like necromancy, they can also summon an altar that boosts the experience of new summons. I've always liked nature the best for summoning though. The elemental summoning is quite versatile, the treants are very fast builders and if you're playing wood elves you can summon swarms of sprites with the nasty WE bow upgrades.

Though the game is so full of exploits that nothing is really safe.
Searching those exploits and gimmicks was a big fun tho. There is a lot of races and classes, and i don't think that Enlight were trying to make perfect balance. But this is not Starcraft, thankfully, and such balance simply not needed. The game is colorful, vast, entertaining.
Man, this thread made me torrent the game again (i have a licensed copy tho, with really good Russian localization). Gonna play around with editor, and mb will make Ukrainian translation.
Also, check this out:
http://the-protectors.webs.com/apps/blog/
Mod for WBC3 from a guy who received source code apparently.

angerpowered

Novice
While I'll probably get shit for saying it, Diablo 2 lets you get a ton of crap on screen.

Only problem is that the game gets too easy. Going Fishymancer basically makes the game a matter of opening doors for your army of skeletal warriors (and however many other summons if you want), and then looting everything (if you're really fancy you can cast amp. magic and corpse explosion). Makes the game a bit easy :\ AFKing shouldn't be how you spend most of your time in combat, no?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom