Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News Neal Hallford To Work with Guido Henkel on Thorvalla

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Guido Henkel; Neal Hallford; Thorvalla

Neal Hallford of Betrayal at Krondor fame has posted on our forum to let us know that, while the possible sequel to Krondor has been postponed, he has joined Guido Henkel (of Realms of Arkania fame) for his new game Thorvalla, soon coming to a Kickstarter near you:

Howdy all. Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. Guido recently asked me to come aboard his Thorvalla project, and I was more than happy to accept. We've narrowly missed the opportunity to work with each at least a couple of times over the past twenty years, and Guido has worked on several of the titles of which I've been a very big fan. As for who I am, I was co-lead designer and writer on another "traditional" RPG called Betrayal at Krondor which was pretty well known for its story. I also worked on a few other titles you may have heard of including Might & Magic III: Isles of Terra, Planet's Edge, Champions of Norrath, Lords of Everquest, and Dungeon Siego.

Recently old BAK team has been talking a lot about doing a "spiritual sequel" to our old game, but at the moment we need more time to "get the band back together", and in the meantime I wanted to get back to work on a traditional RPG that will immerse you in an incredible world and tell you a great story along the way.

I hope you'll support Thorvalla, and enjoy the ride we're about to take together.​

And the second post in a different thread:

Howdy gang, just wanted to let all of you know who have been talking about Krondor, both pro and con, that we've put the Krondor sequel on pause for the time being until such time we've got more of a team assembled. A lot of the original folks are interested in participating, but it's going to take some epic co-ordinating to find times in all our schedules to make it happen, and we don't want to rush this. It certainly won't be something we can get off the ground and moving before the end of the year, especially given that the holidays are coming up.

That said, I hope that those of you who have been enthusiastic at the thought of my working on a new RPG will consider backing another Kickstarter RPG project that I'll be working on in the meantime. Over the years I've narrowly missed working Guido Henkel a couple of times, but he was behind several awesome titles including Realms of Arkania, Planescape Torment, Neverwinter Nights and several others. He's asked me to come aboard their project, and I was more than happy to accept.

This doesn't mean that the Krondor project won't happen, it just isn't happening before the end of 2012. Thanks for all your support!​

Sounds like pretty much a dream collaboration to me.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Wow, the good news just keep piling up! It's starting to look more and more like we might be in for a proper cRPG revival. :incline:

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I have high hopes for the projects, sadly I lack faith in the general gaming public to carry this through. :(
This is my fear as well. Even though I am one who has been very excited by the Kickstarter cRPG revival, I'm starting to feel... well... a little KS fatigue starting to set in. If I'm feeling a little "stretched thin over too much bread" it will take something pretty great to get more people on board. I hope their presentation is very thorough, clear, and well laid out in order to generate enough "buzz" to get people to contribute (IF the project is a worthy of their pedigree).

mindx2

Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Your wife has not killed you yet over the unexpected expenses?
We've come to a mutual understanding... I can pledge to KS but I get no Christmas, Hanukkah, birthday, Halloween, Easter, All Saint's Day, 4th of July, etc. and she gets whatever else she wants and I say "Yes, dear."

Your wife has not killed you yet over the unexpected expenses?

Looking at his plans for bidding on eBay, I don't think he has a wife any more...
Of course I'm still married! Who else can I show off all my geek toys to and have roll her eyes and walk away mumbling "That's nice, dear." ... :P

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
mindx2: What do you do for a living btw? And post pics of your wife plz.

Anyhow, it is true most retards today will have no idea what RoA and BaK are...BUT hopefully there will still be folk like us who miss these gems. Also, Germans!!! Fucking Germans should contribute for the good of the 4th reich!

mindx2

Patron
mindx2: What do you do for a living btw? And post pics of your wife plz.

Anyhow, it is true most retards today will have no idea what RoA and BaK are...BUT hopefully there will still be folk like us who miss these gems. Also, Germans!!! Fucking Germans should contribute for the good of the 4th reich!
The last thing I want is the Codex doing God knows what over a picture of my wife :rpgcodex:

As for what I do, I shape the minds of the future generation. God help us all!!!!!

I really hope this gets the media coverage because a combination of BaK and RoA sounds to good to be true!

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
mindx2: A teacher eh?? Post pics of your female students!

Also, interestingly, both RoA and BaK had first person adventuring and 3rd person taktikal kombat!

Dorateen

Arcane
Yes, the Arkania system was very detailed and intricate. One of the best pen and paper systems adapted to the cRPG format. That's what I'm advocating for here. If they want to pursue something that evokes the special complexity of games like RoA, I hope the developers will go all in and do not take the shortcuts of modern game design.

The Great Deceiver

Trickster
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
What happens when too much Incline is achieved in a short period of time?

Guess we'll find out soon enough.

:greatjob:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom