Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. You can now buy a 16 GB Codex Troll USB 3.0 for $30 USD (includes postage), simply [donate to the campaign] here!
  2. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Betrayal at Krondor Sequel Petition by Neal Hallford

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by Crooked Bee, Sep 25, 2012.

1. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    Click here and disable ads!
    I liked BaK a lot and signed the petition, but I really can't believe they would be able to pull out anything remotley close to the original...
    ^ Top  
  2. SerratedBiz Augur

SerratedBiz
    Wasn't Return to Krondor based on Thief of Dreams? Or was it redesigned from scratch?
    ^ Top  
  3. Trojan_generic Savant

Trojan_generic
    186 signatures on the first day so far.
    ^ Top  
  4. abnaxus Arcane

abnaxus
    SerratedBiz Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  5. Hekateras Educated

Hekateras
    Thief of Dreams was supposed to be centred on Owyn's emerging badassery.

You'll notice there's no Owyn in RtK.

So, no, it had nothing to do with that game.
    ^ Top  
  6. SerratedBiz Augur

SerratedBiz
    RtK failed in many more aspects than just the story, which is what I was aiming at originally.
    ^ Top  
  7. abnaxus Arcane

abnaxus
    I haven't played RtK, but BiA is surprisingly good for a game made by a newbie team (lead designer of the game actually got the job because Ken Williams noticed him playing BAK all the time), you can't tell it was made by passionate BaK fans. Huge world, many towns, unique and interesting setting, its only failure is the main characters being young adults (and acting like young adults but regardless, the story is pretty good with a really cool tweest right at the end).
    ^ Top  
  8. Mother Russia Andhaira Dumbfuck Queued

Andhaira
    Andhaira
    Codex 2013
    RtK was better than BiA. RtK had a better story than even BaK, and more interesting characters.
    ^ Top  
  9. Suchy Arcane

Suchy
    5 days and only 322 signatures :/
    That $200 scares people off.

:keepmymoney:
    ^ Top  
  10. Rhuantavan Learned

Rhuantavan
    Unless Neal kickstarts this thing, I don't think he will ever see 5000 signatures. This is sad.
    ^ Top  
  11. Crooked Bee Nyadmin Patron

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2014 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Unfortunately, I don't think Neal's Kickstarter can succeed unless he also gets Feist on board. I'm fully aware this isn't fair since Neal did all the writing on BaK and Feist didn't contribute anything beyond the setting (which obviously wasn't what made the game so unique), but a lot of people who played the game -- a lot if not most of potential Kickstarter backers -- fully associate BaK with Feist, to this day. And that's probably the saddest part.
    ^ Top  
  12. Rhuantavan Learned

Rhuantavan
    I understand that Neal needs to convince the BaK team to join the project, before attempting a kickstarter campaign. But if he does, a kickstarted project could get so much more media and players attention that it might succeed. The fact that he is dedicating so much time to filming this days, he *could* produce some very cool videos for the KS as well.
    ^ Top  
  13. kaizoku Arcane

kaizoku
    The petition is wrong from the start.
    Doesn't he know cRPG players have no friends?

It should have been instead:

Grunker Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  14. nealiios Developer

nealiios
    Howdy gang, just wanted to let all of you know who have been talking about Krondor, both pro and con, that we've put the Krondor sequel on pause for the time being until such time we've got more of a team assembled. A lot of the original folks are interested in participating, but it's going to take some epic co-ordinating to find times in all our schedules to make it happen, and we don't want to rush this. It certainly won't be something we can get off the ground and moving before the end of the year, especially given that the holidays are coming up.

That said, I hope that those of you who have been enthusiastic at the thought of my working on a new RPG will consider backing another Kickstarter RPG project that I'll be working on in the meantime. Over the years I've narrowly missed working Guido Henkel a couple of times, but he was behind several awesome titles including Realms of Arkania, Planescape Torment, Neverwinter Nights and several others. He's asked me to come aboard their project, and I was more than happy to accept.

This doesn't mean that the Krondor project won't happen, it just isn't happening before the end of 2012. Thanks for all your support! :)
    DwarvenFood, Gakkone, belated and 15 others Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  15. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    Awesome! Good luck! :salute:
    ^ Top  
  16. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Hell yes Neil. Join up with Guido Henkel and incline this horrible state of cRPG's.

:salute:
    ^ Top  
  17. nealiios Developer

nealiios
    We'll do our best, Jaesun!
    DwarvenFood, Suchy, markec and 3 others Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  18. Rhuantavan Learned

Rhuantavan
    :yeah:
    ^ Top  
  19. Crooked Bee Nyadmin Patron

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2014 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Niiice. Don't also forget about the Codex interview, Neal. ;)
    Rhuantavan Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  20. nealiios Developer

nealiios
    I haven't, Crooked. Unfortunately last week my laptop died after getting back from a filming trip to Houston, and it took what I'd written with it. But I'll try and get back to it this week. :D
    LeStryfe79, Jaesun and Crooked Bee Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  21. Curious_Tongue Arcane Patron

Curious_Tongue
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands
    Moderation, how does it work?
    ^ Top  
  22. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    The League of Extraordinary Oldschool Developers should be notified to keep it down for a bit.
    ^ Top  
  23. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
    The League of Extraordinary Oldschool Developers

:salute:
    ^ Top  
  24. Curious_Tongue Arcane Patron

Curious_Tongue
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands
    I sense a photoshop opportunity for the propaganda thread.

Who are the resident shoopers?
    ^ Top  
  25. nealiios Developer

nealiios
    Hi guys. Sorry I haven't checked in more frequently, but it's been a crazy couple of weeks, and I wanted to give you an update. As you have PROBABLY heard, I joined forces with Guido Henkel's THORVALLA project that just launched on Kickstarter at midnight last night. While I haven't given up on the hope of doing a "pure" Krondor sequel, we've pushed it back until there's a time when we'll be able to schedule serious time and effort. As it was, sorting schedules wasn't going to be feasible before year's end, and none of us had a desire to rush things.

SO...THORVALLA. I'm asking all of you to seriously consider throwing your support to it. I'm teaming up with another guy who knows and loves the same kind of games that Krondor was. Guido was the producer on Planescape Torment and designed the Realms of Arkania series. He cares a lot about having a perfect synthesis between gameplay and storytelling, which is why he drug an old, rabid dog like me out of the rain to help save the world again, one more time. And that's what I'm asking you to do. I need help saving the world. I'm blowing on the horn of Algon Kookon. I need you guys to be the heroes this time. It's all in your hands.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/g3studios/thorvalla-an-rpg-by-guido-henkel
    DwarvenFood, Gakkone, Moribund and 6 others Brofist this.
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)