Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Napoleon: Total zzzzzz...

Shannow

Waster of Time
Am I the only one who dislikes Darth-mod?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Blackadder said:
Does this one have that 'must have big Papa check the game online' rubbish attached like the last TW? I never bothered buying that one.

I might be interested in this, so long as

1) It doesn't have this online checking rubbish.

2) Darth is bringing out an AI mod for it.

I agree with others about the padding and all around uselessness of the new map style, not to mention the bad effects it has on the woeful AI. It had enough of a challenge with the risk style map let alone an open map like the new versions.
Torrent it. It's fun, an improvement over Empire feature-wise, but with a much smaller map, fewer factions and since it's stand-alone it doesn't affect Empire in any way.

Also it still has steam, so I didn't bother buying it, just torrented.

Quilty

Magister
Shannow said:

Why don't you like it? I mean apart from the tacky images of Darth Vader he insists on sticking onto every menu and title screen. FFS.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
herostratus said:
On Twcenter they say that once in an iterview, they asked the SEGA guys about the AI of empire total war. The guy who answered said that they were aware of the problems, which were caused by the guy programming the AI changing jobs.

THE guy. As in, singular. I have nothing to back this up other than some idle chatter on a website full of tards, but if it is indeed true that there is only one AI programmer that sure would explain a lot.

Haha, I remember reading an interview shortly after Empire was announced, where they bragged that the AI would be so much better this time because they had one programmer dedicated full time writing it, unlike previous TW games. :lol:

Shannow

Waster of Time
Quilty said:
Shannow said:

Why don't you like it? I mean apart from the tacky images of Darth Vader he insists on sticking onto every menu and title screen. FFS.
Can't remember. Probably fucked up balancing and the AI always behaving the same way...

On a side note: I'm playing the TW:ME2 total conversion "The Third Age" and it's pretty fucking awesome apart from fucked up balancing and stupid AI.

[EDIT]: I just remembered. IIRC, Darth's mod for Empire fiddled with ranges and accuracy. Good idea in principle, but it had my two units of Prussian Line fighting one unit of some Russian militia. I was shoting from the front and the sides, being quite near to make up for the new accuracy balancing. After shooting off 50% of my ammo and only hitting 4 enemies while losing 10-14 of my soldiers I went into melee and lost another big portion of my men although my men had superior stats and attacked from two sides. Then I erased Darth-Mod. *shrug*

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Shannow said:
On a side note: I'm playing the TW:ME2 total conversion "The Third Age" and it's pretty fucking awesome apart from fucked up balancing and stupid AI.

The fucked up balancing is totally intentional in that mod. It wants to "realistically" portray the different LotR races and cultures, and therefore doesn't give a fuck about balance, which leads to overpowered elves, dwaves with kickass infantry but no cavalry and only few ranged units which leads to LOTS of frustration when fighting skirmishing enemies, orcs with huge fucking troops that are weak and have no chance against elite units of the other races etc etc etc...

Playing as dwarves it was quite annoying to chase down enemy skirmishers with my slow infantry :rage:

Shannow

Waster of Time
JarlFrank said:
Shannow said:

The fucked up balancing is totally intentional in that mod. It wants to "realistically" portray the different LotR races and cultures, and therefore doesn't give a fuck about balance, which leads to overpowered elves, dwaves with kickass infantry but no cavalry and only few ranged units which leads to LOTS of frustration when fighting skirmishing enemies, orcs with huge fucking troops that are weak and have no chance against elite units of the other races etc etc etc...
I know, but this time I like it. I played as elves and it was too fucking easy then I re-started new as Mordor and Gondor was whipping my ass. But now that I've got trolls I'm whipping their asses. Nice turnaround. With the drawback that trolls are costly and take long to be recrutable. Still even with the intentional blancing differences some stuff sucks. EG, orc archer units suck at archery (and everything else) but they're also as small as elven archer units (who can outfight ork melee troops and shoot accurately over half the map).

Norfleet

Dark Individual said:
When I was playing MTW 2 without any mods, on two occasions, when my ballista fired the very first round, the enemy general was the first casualty. Is this a well known bug or just a coincidence?
Happens. In real life, too.

Korgan

Arbiter
Shannow said:
JarlFrank said:
Shannow said:

I know, but this time I like it. I played as elves and it was too fucking easy then I re-started new as Mordor and Gondor was whipping my ass. But now that I've got trolls I'm whipping their asses. Nice turnaround. With the drawback that trolls are costly and take long to be recrutable. Still even with the intentional blancing differences some stuff sucks. EG, orc archer units suck at archery (and everything else) but they're also as small as elven archer units (who can outfight ork melee troops and shoot accurately over half the map).
Well, Tolkien stated that the Shadow's only weakness was a lack of cavalry (and plothax), so free spawning basic orcs would be nice. Sauron would just drown the enemy in them, not caring if he lost 90% and some "real" troops to boot, as long as enemy forces are pressed. Perhaps if the orc spawn points moved with Invasions (the crusade mechanic here), they would be possible to hold at bay but difficult to push back, so most of the Free Peoples' offensive warfare would be restricted to quick raids, as in the lore. Gotta suggest it on their forums.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Yeah, the fucked up balance is actually a good thing because it fits the mod. It's just not supposed to be balanced, and balance isn't really needed for a game to be fun.

Mentioning balance, I really need to try out this mod for Napoleon:
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=349267
Overpowered artillery, completely useless cavalry, huge fucking armies of infantry, both infantry and cavalry are mostly cannon fodder... lovely.

It's a seriously lame mod, Jarl. :( Total War: Cannon Fodder

Whoever has a single unit of arty more wins, if experience levels are equal. No reason to build any other unit ever. The only way to lose while having more arty is if a lucky shot kills your general and spoils morale.

It was a good idea for a mod, but to get the WWI feel right they'd have to have some way of making arty basically useless against entrenched soldiers, so that at some point they would be forced to advance. Also, in the mod, arty has unlimited ammo. :P

Tech progression, agents, etc., are shit in it too. Maybe with another year or two of work it would be worthwhile, but by then Shogun 2 will be out and we won't care about this shit game anymore.

eidahl

Novice
N:TW feels like a huge improvement over E:TW .. okay, that's not saying much, but I'm actually finding the battles rather fun, although the AI still seems to have that stupid habit of charging a general into my mass of troops. It's like any enemy cavalry unit has a suicidal/fanatical urge to get at my canons o_O.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
eidahl said:
It's like any enemy cavalry unit has a suicidal/fanatical urge to get at my canons o_O.

:shock: You mean cavalry is weak against artillery in N:TW? Sure, charging into the fields of a fire of a battery of cannons will result in tears, but cavalry is so mobile it doesn't have to. Plus, artillerymen don't have the luxury of forming square so if cavalry overruns their guns then they are fucked.

eidahl

Novice
ScottishMartialArts said:
eidahl said:
It's like any enemy cavalry unit has a suicidal/fanatical urge to get at my canons o_O.

:shock: You mean cavalry is weak against artillery in N:TW? Sure, charging into the fields of a fire of a battery of cannons will result in tears, but cavalry is so mobile it doesn't have to. Plus, artillerymen don't have the luxury of forming square so if cavalry overruns their guns then they are fucked.

Oh, it works alright, unless those same cavalry charge down across half the field, in front of rows of my soldiers to get at the artillery men at the end of the formation. All of my units get a chance at them. :P

( Though, I just meant they sometimes used their general to -try- taking down my artillery.. something like that.. )

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom