Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Napoleon: Total zzzzzz...

Korgan

Arbiter
Nice game, but plays like MTW2 without patches or mods. NO RESISTANCE TO BE FOUND ANYWHERE. You can beat the French campaign on VH/VH with two half-stacks, thanks to automatic unit regeneration. The AI doesn't ever give a fuck about its flanks, meaning that a single unit of lancers can nearly rout 500-700 good infantrymen, just weaving and charging through the entire line. And the Realism mod does nothing to improve it.
Any suggestions?

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Play Europa Barbarorum and fuck this shit, total war is a total disaster recently.

Korgan

Arbiter
Yeah, in your territory. Faster with supply posts, etc in the province. Works for units you can't build there, too, like the Old Guard.

Stoiv

Educated
Find somebody to play multiplayer campaign with.

Korgan

Arbiter
Stoiv said:
Find somebody to play multiplayer campaign with.
Meh. I like LARPing and doing dramatic shit in all global strategy games without the opponent pouncing on me in that very second.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Isn't that realistic? Wounded people heal and lost people are found, actually it is only a minority that died in combat at the time.

Korgan

Arbiter
Yeah, I actually like that bit - keeping the 1st Old Guard Regiment through the entire campaign, replenishing their losses and making them uber-elite is cool. I just hate how pathetically easy the game becomes due to things being stacked in your favour against the dumb AI. At least soldiers had armor and shields in the Middle Ages, so a flank charge couldn't destroy the whole line, but here it can. When I was besieging Venice with two fusilier regiments and a battery, the enemy had 1500+ armed citizens, so why the fuck coudn't they surround me? All they had to do was form a big half-circle outside the canister shot range and crush my 150 men and three cannons. But no, they advance head on, shoot, shoot some more and rout in a minute. Etc, etc.

ChristofferC

Magister
Malakal said:
Isn't that realistic? Wounded people heal and lost people are found, actually it is only a minority that died in combat at the time.
Who cares about realism in a video game?

ZbojLamignat

Educated
I played all the games from the series bar Empire/Napoleon and none of them were particularly good mostly due to borderline retarded AI and useless diplomacy.

It's like they wanted to make diplomacy a vital part of the game and at the same time make it as useless as possible, pretty amusing. Like for example all the stupid business with princesses in MW1 - it got implemented into the game, described in the manual etc - and it all served no purpose at all, you never got any lands and alliances were absolutely useless.

Yeah, those games had a huge potential, but situations like Andora being my ally and attacking my Spanish kingdom for no apparent reason just to get annihilated in one turn were really worthy of a ragequit.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Better than Empire, huge improvement.

AI is challenging... if you make glaring mistakes. It's still beatable even if you do. Sometimes it tried flanking me or concentrating on my weak spots, but eh... it's still typical Total War AI that does stupid things for no apparent reason. Better than Empire, though. Much better.

Still waiting for mods, though, like DarthMod, that will inevitably improve AI and remove bugs and other idiocies.

Not going to buy the game though, because I'm pissed at them not releasing any mod tools and generally making the game less mod-friendly than the previous ones. Mods are the best thing about TW for fuck's sake.

Quilty

Magister
Does Darthmod improve the battle AI? I haven't had time to try it. I only tried a couple of turns and the AI actually sent me some interesting proposals in the diplomacy screen.

Fez

Erudite
Have they sorted out the my main gripes with the game yet? Woeful AI, bugs (many related to the 3D battle engine), ever-increasing amounts of padding and time wasting on the map-based part and too many "useless" battles?

I liked Shogun and M:TW because the battles nearly always meant something was at stake and it didn't take ages to get somewhere.

I also found it very irritating in the newer TW games to send a diplomat or other unit to somewhere on the map only to have it's path blocked or interrupted after ten turns and eventually I have to guide each unit around the map, trying to remember where everything was meant to be. It just dragged everything out without brining any fun.

On Twcenter they say that once in an iterview, they asked the SEGA guys about the AI of empire total war. The guy who answered said that they were aware of the problems, which were caused by the guy programming the AI changing jobs.

THE guy. As in, singular. I have nothing to back this up other than some idle chatter on a website full of tards, but if it is indeed true that there is only one AI programmer that sure would explain a lot.

Fez

Erudite
On Twcenter they say that once in an iterview, they asked the SEGA guys about the AI of empire total war. The guy who answered said that they were aware of the problems, which were caused by the guy programming the AI changing jobs.

THE guy. As in, singular. I have nothing to back this up other than some idle chatter on a website full of tards, but if it is indeed true that there is only one AI programmer that sure would explain a lot.

Ah. Now this would make a lot of sense in a way.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
herostratus said:

That explains everything. And how many works on graphic?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Quilty said:
Does Darthmod improve the battle AI? I haven't had time to try it. I only tried a couple of turns and the AI actually sent me some interesting proposals in the diplomacy screen.

Yes it does.

Texas Red

Whiner
When I was playing MTW 2 without any mods, on two occasions, when my ballista fired the very first round, the enemy general was the first casualty. Is this a well known bug or just a coincidence?

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Happened to me, too, but with a first shot from a bombard which killed the enemy general on the far side of the field.

Does this one have that 'must have big Papa check the game online' rubbish attached like the last TW? I never bothered buying that one.

I might be interested in this, so long as

1) It doesn't have this online checking rubbish.

2) Darth is bringing out an AI mod for it.

I agree with others about the padding and all around uselessness of the new map style, not to mention the bad effects it has on the woeful AI. It had enough of a challenge with the risk style map let alone an open map like the new versions.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom