Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Name me some top-down/isometric T-B RPG's

hal900x

Augur
...with halfway decent graphics. I am a 2D graphics whore. I speak of games such as TOEE & Fallout 2. Isometric or top-down. Turn-based combat. Decent character improvement system of some sort. How good do the graphics need to be? Well, KOTC/Dark Sun/Arcanum are kind of borderline but acceptable. Generally I hate jrpgs but I'll still install and play it if you think it's sufficiently western enough to not revolve around the elements/Gaia/spirits-devils like the 99% of them that are rife with Shinto cultural cues, or fucking mecha. God forbid it's Shinto-mecha. But I digress.

I am trying to think of any others that fit my criteria that I've already played, but good ones are so very few and far-between. If you have a more strategic game in mind, well, if it has a few RPG elements along the lines of JA2 I'm game to try it.

MMXI

Arcane
Will top-down/isometric in combat only do the trick? Or does it have to be completely top-down/isometric, even for exploration?

MMXI

Arcane
There isn't that much if you don't want graphics "worse" than Shattered Lands. Turn-based combat pretty much died around the time it came out, anyway.

MMXI

Arcane
Satori said:
Betrayal at Krondor.
Not top down. Not isometric. First person exploration. Worse graphics than Shattered Lands. :M

MMXI

Arcane
Satori said:
You said you didn't mind if only the combat was isometric, fool.
No I didn't. hal900x did. Fool.

Plus the combat isn't isometric either. Nor is it top down. It's sort of this weird third person view.

hal900x said:
MMXI said:
Will top-down/isometric in combat only do the trick? Or does it have to be completely top-down/isometric, even for exploration?

Im not super rigid. What ya got?
I've just thought of some, then. The Realms of Arkania games. Isometric combat with a mixture of first person and world map exploration. The graphics are about on par with Shattered Lands.

MMXI

Arcane
laclongquan said:
YOu are in luck.

Silent Storm, Silent Storm Sentinels, and Hammer & Sickle hail from the tundra of Siberia will make you drool. IT's 3D, even.
Was going to mention them until I read...
hal900x said:
I am a 2D graphics whore.

laclongquan

Arcane
MMXI said:
laclongquan said:
YOu are in luck.

Silent Storm, Silent Storm Sentinels, and Hammer & Sickle hail from the tundra of Siberia will make you drool. IT's 3D, even.
hal900x said:

When you are in a prison, the fact you are hetero cut no dice. Learn to be a lesbian, biatch!

hal900x

Augur
MMXI said:
laclongquan said:
YOu are in luck.

hal900x said:

Like I said, I'm not super rigid. I'll try a 3D game that matches my description, it's just that they are incredibly rare. I think TOEE is 2.5D, but my memory could be misfiring.

laclongquan said:
YOu are in luck.

Septerra Core is a sexy milf you should try.

How many RPG elements are in those first 3? I've heard the first two discussed in reverent tones by strat fanatics.

I've heard of Septerra Core as well, is it fairly free of the generic Nippon storyline?

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
hal900x said:
I've heard of Septerra Core as well, is it fairly free of the generic Nippon storyline?
No. And it has JRPG combat.

Got that game in a magazine years ago, it's horrible...

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The younger Ultimas? Graphics are ok. Esp U6.
The Unreal World? A graphical roguelike.
http://www.jmp.fi/~smaarane/urw.html
shot_village.png

shot_fishing.png

laclongquan

Arcane
Unreal World is massive fun in its own way but it's not turnbased. Plus I doubt it's to the taste of some graphicwhores.

As for S2, S3, and HS: they are RPG. Got a proper story, back ground, characters, and every thing. IT's just so right to the taste of turnbase squadbase RPG. HS is more RPG than her older sisters, if you lean that way.

hal900x

Augur
Tagline for Gamespot review of Hammer & Sickle: "The KGB wasn't as hard on political dissidents as Hammer & Sickle is on those who play it."

LOL, downloading.

Noddy

Augur
villain of the story said:
Hmmm must have mistaken for something else.

No your right i remember playing this with a ASCII map and graphical GUI. At least i think i did.

Looks pretty now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom