Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Name 5 Things you would like to see improved in SoZ (NWN2)

Warden

Arbiter
Original topic on the NWN2 SoZ forum:

Rob McGinnis:
" Hello everyone,

Aside from Multiplayer, please name up to 5 (please, do not list more than 5) things you would like to see improved/fixed with the game. I cannot guarantee we can fix them all with SoZ, but we can see what can be done.

Thanks."

I'd like to introduce this topic here as well - maybe some more good ideas can be thrown in.

I'll start and I'll be as specific as possible and evaluate the how-doable vs. how-needed aspect.

1) Animations:

Zombies: They are concepted so that they can wield weapons/shields.
The problem is if they do wield a weapon it floats inside their leg. Since they're not incorporeal that shouldn't happen.. There are other clipping issues - but this one is horrible.
Solution: Turn the hand/wielding direction a bit outwards.
There's also this glitch when zombies jump when in combat.. hm, that's not exactly a jump.. more like just going up and down once per round or so.. can you eliminate that, please?

Also, there's this constant dodging animation (which is also a problem for all other slow moving monsters like mummies for example) - it's perfectly right they should have high AC; due to tough skin, natural armor, deflection and what you have. But please, make the animation a tad more realistic than a zombie dancing around and avoiding every blow.
Solution: Instead of constant dodging- the blow should hit but be percieved as a miss (because it hit a very tough part of the body for example) - or if you have more resources make an additional animation; the zombie/mummy raising their hands like if blocking the blow with some dust bursting out when the blow hits (i.e. misses). That combined with some sporadic dodge animations would look much better.

I'd like skeletons to be "more" undead as well.. than to be just like a fresh human fighter jumping from leg to leg like a living fighter would. Eliminate some animations from them and make them more static. Especially the right-left leg swinging stance .

Oh and yes... please.. no liches/skeletons (undeads) roundhouse kicking, please. Hey, they're not Chuck Norris! ;)

I know it would be too much work to make shields or weapons actually block blows so I won't ask that. :p

2) It has been mentioned that you start at level 3 because level 1 chars are too fragile. Why not fix the root of the problem instead and let people play from start, from lvl 1 - how it should be.
Solution: Modify lvl 1 starting hit points. It should be 10 + half class hp + 1 + constitution modifier.Thus a wizard with 14 constitution would start with 15 HP (10 + 3 + 2).
I'd advise to not give max class hp on level up, but half + 1 as well.

Speaking of game mechanics - spell buffs are overpowered. Especially AC buffs. Changing them all would be a problem. But, there's a simpler solution; script it so that a character cannot benefit from more than 1 ac spell buff type (items NOT included in the equation) at a time. This means there would no longer be +3 deflection +3 natural +3 ac etc spell buffed characters.. They could benefit just from ONE type at a time.
It's simply ridiculous how powerful you are with such AC buffs - I'd suggest to nerf combat expertise as well to 2/4... and power attack - should also be 2/4.

I suspect implementing a variable damage reduction for armors (instead of the ac bonus - should also be used for monsters) and weapon penetration for weapons would be too much..? :p So I won't ask that.. but I wrote the details in another topic.
At least - it would be cool if you gave variable damage reduction to some enemy monsters, instead of a static one..for undeads and outsiders especially. :) For example, damage reduction: 2d6 (Material resistance 3d4) Damage reduction bypassed for half if the following dice rolls higher than the material resistance of 3d4 -> Enchantment: if it's e.g. +3 you add +d3 for your weapon penetration roll + your dex modfier (e.g. +3) + d3 + your str mod (e.g. +4) + d4. If 1d10 (3 + 3 + 4) rolls higher than 3d4 you halve the damage reduction of 2d6 for that hit.

3) Bugs:
Spell resistance is drained after the first attempt to resist a spell (for both creature hides and items). Fixed by custom files - you should implement that.
Do not use "damage resistance" for physical damage because it does not work for physical damage. Use damage reduction instead.
Do not auto-heal/auto-rest players on area/module transitions, please. (buglike!)
Do not force party members even for brief periods of time, please. (buglike)
Implement Tony K AI, please. (the default AI is buggy)
Monster's AC is generally too low. Check twice if the no-natural-ac-bug has resurfaced!

Hm, this is it for now.. my brain is exhausted. I wrote a bit more than 5 but that's because I'm 1st! :p The important parts (the resumes) are in bold.
If I remember something more...

Texas Red

Whiner
If you have dungeons replace the hordes of effortless enemies with a few very powerful opponents that will require tactics to win.

Instead of having dozens of chests and loot bags, accumulate everything in to a single chest at the end of the dungeons. PLAYERS DON'T ENJOY LOOTING MINIGAMES.

SpaceKungFuMan

Scholar
A small number of tactical fights is vastly better than tons of trash fights.

Please disable resting anywhere but in safe places.

Please add BG style autopause options.

Please make enemy spell casters smarter, including removing your party's buffs.

Introduce spell duels like in BG2. Ironically this requires making some buffs stronger so that a fighter can't just pummel the mage like in the NWN2 OC and MotB.

Texas Red

Whiner
Have fights versus other parties of adventurers. One of the most enjoyable fights in BG 2 were against other groups.

Micmu

Magister
Wanted to write "challenging and tactical fights" five times in a row, but then SpaceKungFuMan said everything I want improved regarding combat, which sucked incredibly in OC and MoTB.

1, Lots of fixes. Camera should not bounce off solid obstacles because that's really fucking annoying, you should be able to cast Hideous Blow with yourself as target, AI should be improved a lot ( say, a rogue opened all locks and disarmed traps automatically in the first version. Why that doesn't work anymore?), if in any way possible load times and overall performance should be improved, and so on. I can't remember them all, really. Oh, and undead arm for Pale Master ;) Bug fixes too.
2, Yeah, more combat animations, maybe dialogue animations too. This isn't really important, but it'd make the game look a lot better.
3, Information could be even more readily available. I'd like to see what high/medium/low BAB progression actually means in numbers without having to look it up on gamefaqs.
4, Really, couldn't bow and other ranged attacs have a longer range, so that in those rare times when you're outdoors and see your enemies from afar you'd actually get to make more than one shot? Or whatever it would take to improve archery.
5, Less but more unique magic items, maybe less powerful too. I'm just saying that finding a Sword of Elfslaying etc. would be a lot more exciting if you didn't already have a Sword of Universal Destruction +7. Crafting could be okay if the materials were more rare, too. Could there be a difficulty setting which altered loot?

Zomg

Arbiter
1) Don't use D&D content or ruleset. Alright, can't do that, but figure out some way to eliminate buffing. It's so fucking boring, it unbalances the shit out of the game, just don't allow any of the buffing spells in your campaign that last longer than 2-3 rounds.

2) Some kind of streamlined looting system. Like, say I hit Ctrl-g and every container (corpses, etc.) within a couple of virtual meters is automatically looted and presented to me as a unified loot box. Picking up the essences in MotB was a pain.

3) No shit combat. Every combat that isn't a significant set piece of some kind should be scrutinized for dogshittiness.
4) No maze dungeons that exist only to have you mow the fog of war. No outdoor areas that make me walk down a circuitous corridor, which they fucking loved in the OC.

Saxon1974

Prophet
SpaceKungFuMan said:
A small number of tactical fights is vastly better than tons of trash fights.

Please disable resting anywhere but in safe places.

Please add BG style autopause options.

Please make enemy spell casters smarter, including removing your party's buffs.

Introduce spell duels like in BG2. Ironically this requires making some buffs stronger so that a fighter can't just pummel the mage like in the NWN2 OC and MotB.

Seconded.

ricolikesrice

Arcane

1. better combat animations or at least the "dance of death" from NWN1 back so melee combat doesnt look that freaking boring / static

2. no expert with DnD rules but there *must* be some feats/skills that make melee combat more interesting then "autoattack till hp = 0", i.e. special moves, counters etc.... or ?
i.e. something to spice up melee combat.

3. what spacekungfuman said: WAY less trash fights, more challenging fights.

4. same about loot, way less generic +x/y items instead some rare but really creative/unique items (obviously not overpowered though).
a better balanced crafting system also d be great (MOTB turned melee bothering with crafting into gods where casters were a little shafted - then again the crafting system as a whole was ridicolusly overpowered )

5. a yuan-ti that takes the shape of a multi-headed-dick as a special secret encounter you can find on the overland map. it should also be the only "romance" option in SoZ so i can see more crying posts of that whiny bitch merilinda.

Black_Willow

Arcane
SpaceKungFuMan said:
Instead of making some buff spells stronger, introduce spells which give protection against all weapons (or at least against wepons with enchantment lower than +x) for short period of time. And a specific spell to lower this protection.

Deleted member 7219

Implement the same kind of camera that was used in KOTOR and Mass Effect. No, the drive camera that is in the current version of NWN2 is not the same.

SpaceKungFuMan

Scholar
Matt7895 said:
Implement the same kind of camera that was used in KOTOR and Mass Effect. No, the drive camera that is in the current version of NWN2 is not the same.

How are you not a pariah around here? You fucking preordered Fallout 3, and you want the consolerific gameplay crushing KOTOR camera in Obsidian's attempt to make the hardcore happier? Do you remember how TERRIBLE combat was in KOTOR with that camera? Are you aware that KOTOR and NWN2 are both Aurora engine derivatives?

Warden

Arbiter
Remembered:

*Modify HiPS so it isn't (like) cheating anymore!

or
a) Limit the number of uses per day.

or
b) The enemy should immediately make a spot and listen check as you press the hips (hide) button. And when you attack an enemy from a hidden state you should be bound to that enemy for the entire round (i.e. you cannot move from that spot for 6 seconds). No more 1 hit then run away and hide and repeat x 100 (because even with this improved system I described it could be abusable if you don't implement the entire-round system).

*Casting spells voices: a bit more variety than 1 male and 1 female voice! Jesus..
It's strange when a female with a deep voice starts casting with that 12 years old girl voice.

SpaceKungFuMan

Scholar
Warden - you're posting too many superficial things here. Combat is broken, and nothing matters half as much as rebalancing it to be fun.

On a related note, has anyone looked at the suggestion topic on the official forum? its all requests for more faces, animations, and pretty pink dresses. What the fuck is wrong with these people? Can anyone actually play NWN2 and say the combat isn't so broken as to not be fun?

Warden

Arbiter
Those are not superficial things. Those are things that would make my (and others') experience and enjoyment of this game more complete.

I don't want to make this a debate about what's superficial and what's not. Post your wishes and go away.. you don't need to complain about the wishlists of others.

Combat is broken because you have access to way overpowered AC-buff spells and some imbalanced feats - knockdown/disarm/improved com. exp./imp. power attack..
And please.. who doesn't choose luck of heroes as his first feat? That +1 to ac and saves has to go away - it's a no brainer.

SpaceKungFuMan

Scholar
Warden said:
Those are not superficial things. Those are things that would make my (and others') experience and enjoyment of this game more complete.

I don't want to make this a debate about what's superficial and what's not. Post your wishes and go away.. you don't need to complain about the wishlists of others.

Combat is broken because you have access to way overpowered AC-buff spells and some imbalanced feats - knockdown/disarm/improved com. exp./imp. power attack..
And please.. who doesn't choose luck of heroes as his first feat? That +1 to ac and saves has to go away - it's a no brainer.

Combat is broken in the engine. Autofollow is randomly activated in puppet mode. items are crazy overpowered. Enemy AI is atrocious. Enemy wizards are not even viable enemies because they die so quickly. Crafting/enchanting is beyond broken. You can rest everywhere. Characters can't die. These are core features that NEED to be fixed for a combat heavy module. I'm sorry, but play balance is more important than what the game looks like, and in a world where the developers have limited time and limited resources, I think there actually is a "right" answer here. If I get what I requested, the game is balanced better, and everything looks the same. If you get what you requested, the game is balanced the same, and it looks better. See the difference?

Edit:

Here are the 5 most important fixes imo.

1. The aurora engine auto follow needs to be eliminated. Even with MotB's improvements, your characters still all drop whatever they're doing to run over to the active character. This should replaced with an IE like system where each character is controlled totally individually. I should not have to order everyone to stand still during combat to select another character.

2. Mages need more effective protection. Using the currently available protection spells, wizard duels are impossible unless you make the choice not to physically attack the enemy wizard, since a decent melee character will destroy the spell caster before 1 or 2 spells can even be cast.

3. Enchantment and crafting need to be changed. They were both so overpowered in the OC and MotB that your characters became extremely powerful, to an unreasonable degree. The dragons were not even challenges.

4. The death mechanic NEEDS to be changed. Right now there is no penalty for a suicide rush, as long as one character survives.

5. Immunities and reflex saves need to be made less overpowered. As it stands, it is MUCH to easy to make a character than can effectively stand in the middle of a group of enemies while the mages cast burst spells that the tank is immune to via resistances of reflex saves. This tactic should not be viable, or at least it should be much harder to pull off.

Warden

Arbiter
SpaceKungFuMan said:
If I get what I requested, the game is balanced better, and everything looks the same. If you get what you requested, the game is balanced the same, and it looks better. See the difference?

Yes, I see the difference. I'm asking for a combination of both. Since this is not a book-game or something similar - it involves graphics and other things (like clipping issues, animation issues) which are very important as well. If graphics don't matter to you.. fine, go play combat rpg tetris. Because as you state; "combat is broken in the engine" - you should be looking for another game then.

Just a little catch about a point of yours.. Items don't have to be crazy overpowered (yes, that's called balancing) - but what does it matter when you can almost perma enhance your weapons with 1d8 fire damage with a low level spell, and enchant it on top of that with + x..

AI is good with Tony K AI.
I never craft because I don't see any fun in it - but I agree it's way overpowered.
And yes, I am all for resting restrictions. I would be very happy if they include a mode to pay for resting; party cumulative level * x (x= 100 for example).

Lumpy

Arcane
Guys, I'm not sure posting all these fine ideas here will do much good. Make sure to repost them at the NWN2forum, in any case.

OccupatedVoid

Arbiter
If this thread was on the NWN2forums, all of the posts would be:

ROMANCABLE COMPANIONS!!

ROMANCABLE COMPANIONS!!!11

MOAR FEMAEL ARMOR!!11!

KNIGHT CAPITAN LULZTRAIN!!!11

Warden

Arbiter
Too much copy-paste.. and I'd hate to get a flame thrower and burn people (like that mod Cinnabar Din) who say: "You don't have to craft or rest if you think that's overpowered".
What's next - "you don't have to use weapons or armor if you think combat is too easy"? :roll:
I understand now why poor SpaceKungfuman is frustrated.. he's posting his ideas there as we speak.

SpaceKungFuMan

Scholar
OccupatedVoid said:
If this thread was on the NWN2forums, all of the posts would be:

ROMANCABLE COMPANIONS!!

ROMANCABLE COMPANIONS!!!11

MOAR FEMAEL ARMOR!!11!

KNIGHT CAPITAN LULZTRAIN!!!11

That place is a cesspool. god, I wish they eliminated the option of female PCs in this game, just to get to merilinda.

Zomg

Arbiter
One of you aspies go post this shit as a Codex sez.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom