Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Baltika9

Arcane
Hmmm. Destiny seems to be drawing us to Lesbomancy.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If we are throwing our lot in with Albrecht and the Pathfinders, how much money would we be allowed to use from their account so that it does not appear rude? 100 WP? Less? We didn't study dwarven diplomacy for nothing, did we?

I want almost everything on the list, and I have a feeling we will be involved knee-deep in what is about to come anyway. So I want to accumulate as much personal power as humanly possible without souring our relationships.

What is the difference between buying the ring for Thais and letting her buy it? We are partners, and the money belong to us both equally, no? They come from a single wallet anyway.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Alright, so while we wait for the answer, I'll just list the items I want and ask questions about them.

A) Uttu's Bowstring - it's cheap, and incredibly useful by the sound of it. How bright is the flare? Is it enough to blind an unprepared opponent? Does it work like a signal flare? Can it be easily seen from a distance in daylight?

B) Biliku's Bargain - can't have enough protection, and the scabbard goes nice with our mentalist theme, where appearing harmless is a major part of it.

C) Lyssa's Aphids - she'll buy them regardless, so it is only a matter of how much money we have available. How fast is the feeding process? What can be done with the aphids that just fed - can the energies stored be used by their owner? How bad is the explosion they produce? Can the strength of the explosion be regulated by choosing how many of them would detonate, or does the owner not have that fine a control over them?

D) Thaïs' Ring - wonder which spells can be stored. I bet the difficult spells that require a group of mages to cast them are out of question.

1) Can we store a Heal as an insurance against death? Can we activate it in time if we are dying?
2) Does it really allow to store a spell, or does it merely reduce the casting time? In other words, does the 'storing' effect mean we are free from the strain that casting the spell ourselves puts on us? If we aren't, does the draining effect occurs at the moment of putting the spell in a storage, or at the moment of casting?
3) What about spells that require maintainance (The Warrior's Mask, Compulsion, Suggestion, Projection and others) - does using the ring have benefits with those?

E)
i) I want the ring. Even if it can't do anything fancy (which it might), one more instant spell is a life saver. If it can cast Heal, then literally so.
ii) The book is cheap, and is a good interrogation device. How fast is the process?
iii) Not sure if want. How bad is the damage to the host once it is 'dies'? What was that about young ones? Why is it bad if it can be detached at will? For that matter, can it? How direct needs to be the direct contact? How do the young ones differ from the older specimens?
iv) I can't think of a use for that. Silksteel? I guess we can tailor something nice out of these metal threads, but we don't really know anyone who would be able to do it.
v) No. One is enough, I think. Though it depends on their efficiency.
vi) Oh God, it is the ashes of the Deceiver, isn't it? He - and maybe the Lurker - are the only ones missing so far. Nevertheless, Derryth never turned a mystery down.

All in all, we are looking at a 100-150 WP worth of purchases here.

vii) Do they have something else that stores spells? Wands of Fireballs, that kind of stuff? Do they have tarncappes on sale, or are those only issued to the Pathfinders? Can we eventually get one (or, hey, the full set for our party)? I am interested in everything that provides invisibility or at least some sort of a distraction. Any scrolls that aren't on offer in the Academy? Anything that boosts evasion or movement rates?

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
As for the other choices,

2. F) You will take the gloves, but you won't wear them constantly. When you need a private moment, or when you sleep, or when you need to execute some plan The Faceless Man does not need to know about, you'll put them on. When you find yourself in a tough combat sitiuation, or when you aren't doing something terribly suspicious, you'll slip out of them.

I take it that The Faceless Man experiences everything we do, but does not have access to our memories (yet)? In that case, we don't need to block him out all the time. Oh, and it is a good way to shut him up when he becomes annoying. If he does not want to get blocked from perceiving the world, he'd better learn to behave himself.

Basically, it's a combination of A and D. Do nothing about him, but have means to change this attitude at any time. And I hope the ability to cut him off at will should benefit our sanity as well.

I will NOT infiltrate his mind to get rid of him. We weren't terribly successful in Nine's mind, and she was trying to be helpful. This man won't be. It would be smarter to cut the arms off right away than risk going inside his perverted head.

3. D) Derryth E) Thais F) Lyssa (Heal). No preferences here, really, though I want to get to the mastery of Heal to start working on a Greater Heal. Then we cut our arms off. :lol:

4. A) What's done is done. I guess what we are about to hear won't bring us closer, but if the intent with which we are going for the choice matters, try your best not to begrudge her for what she did. She wants to make amends, and we took her in to provide her with an opportunity. Whether she can be forgiven or not does not affect whether she can do good from now on.

5. A) A bit torn between employing the Arrows or going with the Pathfinders if they don't mind. Money aren't really an issue for us, though we'll have to talk with Mayer next time we'll get a chance.

Last edited:

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
It's sad, she stumbled upon an economic paradigm shift that necromancers heretofore have ignored the potential for, and didn't exploit the opportunity to its fullest. Imagine fields upon fields attended by the ever loyal undead. You'd increase food production exponentially. Yet more endeavours for the Circle to investigate I suppose.

Kz3r0

Arcane
1. Shopping
A) Uttu's Bowstring:
i. Yes (10 WPs

B) Biliku's Bargain:
i. Yes (10 WPs)

C) Lyssa's Aphids
i. No, you let Lyssa buy them.

D) Thaïs' Ring:
ii. No, you let Thaïs pay for it.
E) Derryth's Purchase Part 1
i. A ring of spell storage just like the one Thaïs wants. (25 WPs)

i. The Book of the Past: (10 WPs)

iv. The Spinner.

vi. The Box: A plain, sealed wooden box. (5 WPs)

vii. A tome on elemental spells (35 WPs)

ix. A book titled 'Golems for dummies' but they assure you it is just a novelty item. They have not been able to get the spells in it to work. (1 WP)

x. A squid shaped vase that can store up to ten spells but releases them at random. (10 WPs)

Fangshi Can we ask from where the spinner comes from?
I am getting spider goddess vibes here, in this case I would like to purchase it to destroy it.

F) Derryth's Purchase Part 2:

ii. You let Astrid pay for it.

E) General Supplies: Twelve Energon Cubes and Six Mandrake Roots
iv. Let Astrid pay for it.
2. The Faceless Man, how do you want to get rid of him?

F) You will take the gloves, but you won't wear them constantly
3. You are at the Royal Academy
C) The oaths of the elements. Used in weapons and for all sorts of utility items.

D) The riddles of understanding. Used to strengthen the mind. Often found on robes, hood, or circlets.

E) The paths of progress. Used to sharpen the mind, often woven together with the riddles of understanding or used in their place.
4. Lyssa's story. Do you want to hear the rest of it?
B) No, you get the feeling you will not like what you hear.
5. The Arrows and the Oneiroi:
A) You hire the Arrows to help you take on the Oneiroi. (40 WPs)

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
We've just nearly died 20 times in the span of 2 weeks, and we are only alive because of the bracers. Do we really want to take a chance with the dice when we are trying to remove the said bracers? It's not like we have another safeguard, and the cure might prove worse than the desease.

On another note, we've gained two new skills!
Impressions I: Daddy's Little Girl - Thaïs' memories have started to influence you a little, you work better with her when trying to convince others. One failed persuasion test by Derryth is re-rolled.
One Hell of a Pair - Dark Gods, ancient archmages, terrors that would break a sane mind... Fuck'em, you are not impressed
Congratulations, Codex, we've finally broken Derryth's survival instinct. :lol:

Last edited:

Kz3r0

Arcane
We've just nearly died 20 times in the span of 2 weeks, and we are only alive because of the bracers. Do we really want to take a chance with the dice when we are trying to remove the said bracers? It's not like we have another safeguard, and the cure might prove worse than the desease.
We have Mazarin little gift now. but I agree with you, for now better not try anythng stupid, the proton pack was tempting tho.

Jester

Arbiter
It's sad, she stumbled upon an economic paradigm shift that necromancers heretofore have ignored the potential for, and didn't exploit the opportunity to its fullest. Imagine fields upon fields attended by the ever loyal undead. You'd increase food production exponentially. Yet more endeavours for the Circle to investigate I suppose.
Hmm skeletons would be best. Old bones no one would care if went missing should be easy to come by. Less socially awkward than zombies, no crying close family and they can double as scarecrows, zombies would lure crows and other scavengers. Implication of such technology... intriguing.

I love shopping.

1) Ai, Bi, Ci, Di - shopping is good for stress relief and all these items are useful and could make our party that more effective. I think it's a nice touch that we personally buy it for them. So it costs money - big deal: "True power lies not in wealth, but in the things it affords you."

As for us:

1) Ei, Eiv, Evi - that ring is a must have for any mage and the mystery box could be anything. No way can our girl resist a mystery box. The other items are somewhat meh - book could be useful for interrogation but is actually slower that just using our now quite formidable magic instead. Parasite sounds like something quite dangerous and we are not even that good with any weapon in the first place. The spinner device sounds usefull as hell, but I just can't think of for what exactly. Maybe if we study enchantment more we could find some use for it. And I'm not a big fan of animals, least of all bugs.

But for my freeform, I wish to ask them for the power source capable of holding a gate spell open. They are not very likely to have something like that around, but maybe they can at least point us in the right direction. Seriously, with the state the roads between major cities are in having a permanent gate between say this place and the capital of the empire would be equivalent to owning a money printing machine: "Sure, you could hire mercs and transport your merchandise with a caravan. It will costs you an arm and a leg, it will take time and there is a risk of losing it anyway. Or you could transport it there with our gate, right now, perfectly safe and for less money." Hell, we could even come to an agreement with the goverments for a nice subsidy and protection of our monopoly in exchange for free transport for their citizens.

1) Fi - though I suppose we can make Astrid pay for our things as well, these choices don't cost that much.
1) Ei > Eiv - same thing for the supplies. Supplies are good.

That was a lot of shopping. Now for the rest:

2) F > C* - if he doesn't have access to our memories but is just for the ride instead this would work. When we need privacy we put on the gloves, the rest of the time we can put up with him until we figure out a more permanent solution. But if this is not the case, if he has full access to our mind, our memories and our thoughts then this is not going to work. In that case it's C for me - he needs to go, now.

3) F - picking up some enchantment could be useful, but I'd prefer to first concentrate on our own spells. Mastering heal and/or picking up some illusion spells from our new party member would be my picks.

4) B - drop the issue for now. We can probably guess the rest of the story and I don't think the rest of our party needs to hear it. In fact, I'm pretty sure they don't. She regrets it, that's enough for now.

5) C > A - honestly, I'm not sure how we are going to do this. Use pathfinders or arrows to set up a meeting pretending we wish to hire them, then ambush their party, knock them out and read their minds for the way to neutralise their spell? Could that work? With the way he makes them out to be I'm not sure how we could trust them not to attack us if we try approaching them openly. That bounty on our inventor must be staggering.

There, I hope I've voted for everything now.

edit:

Adding the following items to my shopping list:

viii.
A comb that can store an invisibility spell but makes a humming noise when active. (5 WPs)
ix. A book titled 'Golems for dummies' but they assure you it is just a novelty item. They have not been able to get the spells in it to work. (1 WP)

A comb is a bargain but could still make us much safer in a fight, even if they know we are somewhere around. A book is a bit of a gamble, but maybe one of our contacts (inventor? Nine?) could make some sense of it. Maybe. But it is only 1WP, so why not.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Wait, the rest of our party? Will Bari listen to Lyssa's story, too? Because I don't think this one is for him.

All things considered, I'd rather not guess it. Lyssa wants to tell us, so let her speak. The sooner this is out of our way, the sooner we can begin integrating her into the circle. Why did we ask about her past if we didn't want to know?

Let's put her at ease. If we start plugging ears now, this will only bite us in the ass next time we'll need to poke in her mind for one reason or the other. Let's not promote the thought that withholding secrets is the way to go in our circle. We must know things about our companions, good or bad, if we want to be a leader worth their salt.

Last edited:
Ok, but we don't have to force the issue right here and now. Especially in front of other people that might not be quite as understanding as we are. Tell her she can talk to us later, in private if she would like. It's quite likely she dabbled in necromancy and you know just how big of a no-no that is around here.

Nevill

Arcane
Depends on who will be listening, yes. This is a private thing for the ears of our circle only, but it needs to be heared, for the sake of everyone involved.

Fangshi

Arcane
Azira said:
Fangshi, could you list Derryth's current wealth in WPs in the inventory? So we know how much she has to spend, when the need arises?

You have about two hundred WPs on you in the form of gold or precious gems.

As for your total wealth, you have spent maybe a quarter of it. 30 for the compound, 200 for the Arrows (you managed to get a loan from the king's financiers to pay him immediately so you did not have to use up all you are carrying), 7 for Trakk and his men... I think that is everything.

Edit:
Added to character sheet.

Nevill said:
If we are throwing our lot in with Albrecht and the Pathfinders, how much money would we be allowed to use from their account so that it does not appear rude? 100 WP? Less? We didn't study dwarven diplomacy for nothing, did we?

Well she is just going to slip it into the expense account anyway so ideally no one will ever know and she tells you not to worry.

But if you want to be safe going over 50-70 WPs would be considered a bit... extravagant. The tickets to the spa cost 200 WPs, you see, and she has already billed those to the government as medical costs...

What is the difference between buying the ring for Thais and letting her buy it? We are partners, and the money belong to us both equally, no? They come from a single wallet anyway.

If she pays for it she will cover the cost. She is not completely bankrupt after all.

A) Uttu's Bowstring - it's cheap, and incredibly useful by the sound of it. How bright is the flare? Is it enough to blind an unprepared opponent? Does it work like a signal flare? Can it be easily seen from a distance in daylight?

Think a flare gun, the exact same principles and properties.

C) Lyssa's Aphids - she'll buy them regardless, so it is only a matter of how much money we have available. How fast is the feeding process? What can be done with the aphids that just fed - can the energies stored be used by their owner? How bad is the explosion they produce? Can the strength of the explosion be regulated by choosing how many of them would detonate, or does the owner not have that fine a control over them?

The feeding process takes about five minutes. Yes when they are full they act as little magical batteries. The explosion they produce is proportional to how many of them you use. The strength of the explosion can not be directly controlled but can be limited by only using a handful. One fully charged aphid could probably blow you hand off if you are not careful with it.

D) Thaïs' Ring - wonder which spells can be stored. I bet the difficult spells that require a group of mages to cast them are out of question.

1) Can we store a Heal as an insurance against death? Can we activate it in time if we are dying?
2) Does it really allow to store a spell, or does it merely reduce the casting time? In other words, does the 'storing' effect mean we are free from the strain that casting the spell ourselves puts on us? If we aren't, does the draining effect occurs at the moment of putting the spell in a storage, or at the moment of casting?
3) What about spells that require maintainance (The Warrior's Mask, Compulsion, Suggestion, Projection and others) - does using the ring have benefits with those?

1) You can store a Heal spell but you would need to master Heal first.

2) It stores the spell. Even someone with no magical talent could use it.

3) Spells that require maintenance would not work. Or rather they would and then they would instantly end.

ii) The book is cheap, and is a good interrogation device. How fast is the process?

Depends on what you want to know and how long the life it is recording are. It can 'write' about 100 words a minute.

iii) Not sure if want. How bad is the damage to the host once it is 'dies'? What was that about young ones? Why is it bad if it can be detached at will? For that matter, can it? How direct needs to be the direct contact? How do the young ones differ from the older specimens?

It becomes a part of you, it won't die unless you do. If it gets removed you will likely lose the limb it is attached to. It tries to spread its young to other nearby individuals either through planting burrs in their skin of via fluid exchange through its host. It lacks an airborn means of reproduction. It bonds for life, should have mentioned that. Its unbonded state is its juvenile state. Once it bonds to a host it does so permanently. If it is removed it will die. Direct contact is direct skin to plant contact for at least a few minutes. The plants mature very rapidly if attached to a host, less than two days, and change into the adult form of the parasite (living weapon), while in the juvinile for they behave like any other carnivores plant.

vii) Do they have something else that stores spells? Wands of Fireballs, that kind of stuff? Do they have tarncappes on sale, or are those only issued to the Pathfinders? Can we eventually get one (or, hey, the full set for our party)? I am interested in everything that provides invisibility or at least some sort of a distraction. Any scrolls that aren't on offer in the Academy? Anything that boosts evasion or movement rates?

They have a mirror that can store an illusion or mental projection indefinitely. Good for scaring people if nothing else. (20 WPs)

They have a very heavy block of clay that can store, chain and trigger five elemental spells but it weights almost 100kgs (30 WPs)

They have a comb that can store an invisibility spell but makes a humming noise when active. (5 WPs)

They have a squid shaped vase that can store up to ten spells but releases them at random. (10 WPs)

No wands of fireballs I am afraid. The Warlocks tend to kill people that try to sell those.

No tarncappes either I am afraid. Only the Pathfinders and the academy have access to that technology.

They have a collection of basic illusion spells. (35 WPs)

A tome on elemental spells (35 WPs)

Also a book titled 'Golems for dummies' but they assure you it is just a novelty item. They have not been able to get the spells in it to work. (1 WP)

They also have a tablet of demonic binding but caution you that such things are not toys. They have seen far too many good mages die (or worse) by playing with the dark powers. Though a sale is a sale at the end of the day. (60 WPs)

Nothing to boost evasion rates I am afraid.

If any of those seemed interesting let me know and I can add them to the list as a formal option.

2. F) You will take the gloves, but you won't wear them constantly. When you need a private moment, or when you sleep, or when you need to execute some plan The Faceless Man does not need to know about, you'll put them on. When you find yourself in a tough combat sitiuation, or when you aren't doing something terribly suspicious, you'll slip out of them.

Added.

I take it that The Faceless Man experiences everything we do, but does not have access to our memories (yet)?

Correct. Not that he does not try to get into your minds, but so far you have both kept him out. The two of them have been working together to build up their defenses and it has been working reasonably well. You do suspect however that the Faceless Man has not made an all out attempt to invade your minds yet. He is trying to be subtle.

Fangshi Can we ask from where the spinner comes from?

They got it from a strange little man out Muirthemne way, about two hundred years ago.

Zero Credibility said:
But for my freeform, I wish to ask them for the power source capable of holding a gate spell open.

He tells you to check with the academy. They are the most likely people to have something that powerful

He does have a rather large magical generator the dwarves built ages ago. It takes up an entire room in the basement and it it broken. It only worked for about ten minutes and no one seems to know how to fix it. He says you would have to be a real genius to get it working and pumping out enough power to run a Gate spell but it might be possible. He says he will cut you a deal to get rid of it and send it on to Muirthemne with the next caravan if you like. (200 WPs)

Mastering heal and/or picking up some illusion spells from our new party member would be my picks.

Lyssa can give you the basics in an afternoon so sure. Did you just want Derryth to learn, or Thaïs as well?

Nevill said:
Wait, the rest of our party? Will Bari listen to Lyssa's story, too? Because I don't think this one is for him.

No, just you and Thaïs. You will tell the others that this is Circle business and go somewhere quiet and secure to discuss things.

Bari is not big on forgiveness even at the best of times. You are not certain of what Lyssa did (though you do have a vague idea now) but you are certain that Bari would probably kill her if it really was as bad as she thinks it is.

Current Tally:

Nevill:
1.Ai Bi Cii Di E(i,iv,vi,vii,viii,ix) Fii Giv 2.F 3. D,E,,F)Derryth (Heal) 4.A 5.A

Kz3r0:
1.Ai Bi Cii Dii E(i,ii,iv,vi,vii,ix,x) Fii Giv 2.F 3.C,D,E any preference? 4.B 5.A

Zero Credibility:
1. Ai Bi Ci Di E(i,iv,vi,viii,ix) Fi Gi>Giv 2.F 3.F: Heal and Illusions, any preference? 4.B 5.C>A

Jester:
1. Ai Bi Ci Di E(i,vi,ix,x) Fii Gi 2.A 3.B,E,F)Derryth (Heal) 4.B 5.A

Grimgravy:
1.Aiii>i Biii>i Cii Dii E(i,ii,vi,vii) Fi Giv 2.F 3.D)Deryth,B)Thais,A)Lyssa 4.A 5.A

Azira:
1.Aiii Biii Ciii Di E(i,iv,v,vi,vii,ix) Fi Giv 2.A 3.D,E,F)Derryth 4.A 5.A

A) Uttu:
i. 5 votes
ii.
iii. 1 vote

B) Biliku:
i. 5 votes
ii.
iii. 1 vote

C) Lyssa:
i. 3 votes
ii. 3 votes
iii.

D) Thaïs
i. 4 votes
ii. 2 votes
iii.

E) Derryth: To purchase an item will require half of the total voters' votes (rounded down if necessary.)
i. 6 votes
ii. 2 vote
iii.
iv. 4 votes
v. 1 vote
vi. 6 votes
vii. 4 votes

viii. 2 votes
ix. 5 votes
x. 2 votes

F) Derryth Payment Method:
i. 3 votes
ii. 3 votes

G) Supplies:
i. 2 votes
ii.
iii.
iv. 4 votes

2. The Bracelets:
A) 2 votes
B)
C)
D)
E)
F) 4 votes

3. Training: If a name is not listed next to the vote then it will be taken as a general vote for that field. General votes will add on to the leading mage for that option.
A) 1 vote (1 vote for Lyssa)
B) 2 votes (1 vote for anyone, 1 vote for Thaïs)
C) 1 vote (1 vote for anyone)
D) 4 votes (3 votes for anyone, 1 vote for Derryth)
E) 4 votes (4 votes for anyone)
F) Known Spells:
- Healing (Derryth to master, Thaïs and Lyssa to learn): 4 votes (1 vote for anyone, 3 vote for Derryth to master)
- Illusions (Lyssa to master, Derryth and Thaïs to learn): 1 vote (1 vote for anyone)

4. Lyssa's Secret:
A) 3 votes
B) 3 votes

5. The Arrows and the mages:
A) 5 votes
B)
C) 1 vote

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
But if you want to be safe going over 50-70 WPs would be considered a bit... extravagant. The tickets to the spa cost 200 WPs, you see, and she has already billed those to the government as medical costs...
Fucking Hell. Forget magical gates, I want to own a spa salon.

If she pays for it she will cover the cost. She is not completely bankrupt after all.
Sure... but don't we have our money pooled for this kind of thing? 25 WP is a lot. If she didn't get them from our Muirthemne run, then where did she get it from? And if these is our money from Muirthemne, then what is the difference?

Maybe I just don't understand how our partnership works.

It stores the spell. Even someone with no magical talent could use it.
So, basically, we cast the spell 'inside' the ring, and then the owner releases it when it suits them. Is that about right?

Depends on what you want to know and how long the life it is recording are. It can 'write' about 100 words a minute.
Can we influence what kind of story gets written?
As I said, I am interested in its use as an interrogation device. Suppose I've never met the man (let's say he is forty if age makes a difference) and I want to know if he didn't murder anyone in the last week. How long would it take me to figure it out with the book?

They have a squid shaped vase that can store up to ten spells but releases them at random. (10 WPs)
Hmmm... what if all of the spells are of the same type? That's like 10 rings for half the price. Where is the catch? :)

A tome on elemental spells (35 WPs)
That one sounds interesting. What's inside?

He does have a rather large magical generator the dwarves built ages ago. It takes up an entire room in the basement and it it broken. It only worked for about ten minutes and no one seems to know how to fix it. He says you would have to be a real genius to get it working and pumping out enough power to run a Gate spell but it might be possible. He says he will cut you a deal to get rid of it and send it on to Muirthemne with the next caravan if you like. (200 WPs)
Hey! Melete is right here! Maybe let her take a look before making such a purchase... when she wakes up, that is?

No, just you and Thaïs. You will tell the others that this is Circle business and go somewhere quiet and secure to discuss things.
See, Zero Credibility? This is going to remain between us. I'd rather not break the rules our circle is built on, and we did invite Lyssa already.

Last edited:
Honestly, I'd prefer if it was just us. No, not even Thais. Yes, we have special understanding with her, but I do remember that she is one of those party members that would have killed us had we turned to necromancy earlier on. She lost a lot in the war. When we hear what the girl has to say we can judge if telling Thais would be a good idea and how exactly to break the news to her.

As for the magic generator, yeah we we should let our inventor take a look first before deciding on an expenditure that large. And if our inventor doesn't wake up it would be pointless to buy it anyway. Shame they would not cut us a better deal on that one - broken magical machinery is not exactly in high demand, is it?

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
Sure... but don't we have our money pooled for this kind of thing? 25 WP is a lot. If she didn't get them from our Muirthemne run, then where did she get it from? And if these is our money from Muirthemne, then what is the difference?

She does seem to still have some money. I suppose you could ask her where she got it from if you really want to pry.

So, basically, we cast the spell 'inside' the ring, and then the owner relesases it when it suit them. Is that about right?

Yes.

Can we influence what kind of story gets written?

No, it writes everything and only the truth. It starts with birth and ends with the moment it was last touched.

As I said, I am interested in its use as an interrogation device. Suppose I've never met the man (let's say he is forty if age makes a difference) and I want to know if he didn't murder anyone in the last week. How long would it take me to figure it out with the book?

Depends how much he has done in his life I guess. The book gives a general history of true events though if you want more details you can direct it to go into greater detail about some events.

Hmmm... what if all of the spells are of the same type? That's like 10 rings for half the price. Where is the catch?

It releases them at random. So not just a random spell at a set time but a random spell at a random time. It can potentially fire off a spell at anytime. It is fun at parties... :lol:

That one sounds interesting. What's inside?

Lots of attacks spells and a few utility spells. Derryth does not really stand there and read the whole thing, that would be rude.

Zero Credibility said:
Honestly, I'd prefer if it was just us. No, not even Thais.

Sure if you want to. If enough people request it you can listen to the story by yourself.

Though Thaïs also has more self control than Derryth often does. If you are worried about people hurting Lyssa then she might not be safe with Derryth either. ;)

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
After our little journey to Nine's mind, we and Thais think essentially alike. We trust each other completely and unquestionably.

If we'll be able to handle it, I think Thais would be, too. Besides, we can't keep it a secret from her. I don't think it is even possible with the excursions we seem to have to each other's minds, but even if it was, I am sure Derryth would not want to. That's the theme of the relationship they have.

What we need to concern ourselves with whether or not to inform the other members of the circle, because 'no secrets' still remains our motto and the core feature that sets us apart from other mages.

We knew it would come to that when we offered Lyssa a job. I can't see why we are turning back.

Ok, but can't that wait a little? Like when we have befriended her for a while so that we are ready to forgive and forget whatever she could tell us and that it is easier for her to tell it. Is there a rush to do it now and not say, when we return back home? Had we chosen to drink with her things would get awkward and possibly ugly. Do we need to press this now and risk having that while we still have work to do here?

archaen

Cipher
Patron
How about you buy the jar and only cast one spell into it. It basically becomes a stave in DnD terms. You just have to make sure it is empty before casting all your heal spells into it. Heal - heal -heal -Meteor swarm. Oops.

Fangshi

Arcane
Zero Credibility said:
As for the magic generator, yeah we we should let our inventor take a look first before deciding on an expenditure that large. And if our inventor doesn't wake up it would be pointless to buy it anyway. Shame they would not cut us a better deal on that one - broken magical machinery is not exactly in high demand, is it?

He is cutting you a deal. When he had it custom made fifty years ago it cost him 2000 WPs

Ok, but can't that wait a little? Like when we have befriended her for a while so that we are ready to forgive and forget whatever she could tell us and that it is easier for her to tell it. Is there a rush to do it now and not say, when we return back home? Had we chosen to drink with her things would get awkward and possibly ugly. Do we need to press this now and risk having that while we still have work to do here?

If you want to put it off till later then just vote B. There will be other opportunities to ask about it and it will remain an issue until it is dealt with.

archaen said:
How about you buy the jar and only cast one spell into it. It basically becomes a stave in DnD terms.

That would certainly help reduce the random elements at play but you would still have no control over when it chooses to fire the spell. It truly is random in that regard.

Nevill

Arcane
As for the purchases:

A) Uttu's Bowstring:
i. Yes (10 WPs)

B) Biliku's Bargain:
i. Yes (10 WPs)
The girls have earned it.

C) Lyssa's Aphids:
ii. No, you let Lyssa buy them.
D) Thaïs' Ring:
i. Yes, you pay for it (25 WPs)
Lyssa is not a part of our circle, and did not yet work for us - unlike Thais, who have the same right to a new gear that we do, being a partner and a participant in Muirthemne raid that earned us the money in the first place..

E) Derryth's Purchase Part 1:
The shop is filled with a variety of interesting items. Do you want to buy anything? (List as many or as few as you want.)

i. A ring of spell storage just like the one Thaïs wants. (25 WPs)
iv. The Spinner: A tiny magic powered machine in the shape of a spider. If fed plant matter it will produce organic tread of a high quality. If feed metals it will spin thread or that metal. The Dietfrieds have not tried to feed it anything else but the same process probably applies to a variety of substances. (20 WPs)
vi. The Box: A plain, sealed wooden box. The Dietfrieds have no idea what is in it and won't risk damaging it to find out. It is a complete mystery... a mystery box... (5 WPs)
vii. A tome on elemental spells (35 WPs)
viii. A comb that can store an invisibility spell but makes a humming noise when active. (5 WPs)

F) Derryth's Purchase Part 2:
ii. You have Astrid pay for them

G) General Supplies: Twelve Energon Cubes and Six Mandrake Roots
iv. You have Astrid pay for them
I'd like the tome, the comb and the useless book to be put up there. The comb will be useful for our scouts where there is a lot of open ground and no cover. The noise won't make much difference if all we is to stay unnoticed from a distance. A book is cheap and we can let Nine have a look at it if it works. If it doesn't, not a big loss.

I want an option where we split the costs 50/50 with Astrid if we go over 70 WP. If we don't, I want her to pay for it fully.

Actually, scratch that. We are a honorary member of the Pathfinders in service of the crown, traveling with 3 Fallen Lords at once, going around burning cities, casting down noble houses and resurrecting archmages. We can allow ourselves to be extravagant.

1.Ai Bi Cii Di Ei,iv,vi,vii,viii,ix Fii Giv

Last edited:
Fucking Hell. Forget magical gates, I want to own a spa salon.

Also this. 200WP for two persons one-day treatment?! Just how do they stay in business when there are no ludicrously wealthy adventurer women around?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom