Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mysterious Castle 1.8 for Mac and Windows

eclectocrat

Novice
Hey!

The game has drifted from it's RPG roots and has now become a party based roguelike. You can try it if you've got an intel mac at http://www.mysteriouscastle.com. Yes windows version in the works.

Not rpg. Just kill things... for now.

spectre

Arcane
A roguelike is fine too.
If you can slap some rpg elements on top, more power to you.

I really dig the style, just finish the windows port already, dammit.
So how does it work, you control all 3 chars directly, indirectly is it multiplayer, or what?

spectre

Arcane
It means there won't be any collar grabbing and shapeshifting dragon romance rape, obviously.

eclectocrat

Novice
Awor Szurkrarz said:
eclectocrat said:
The game has drifted from it's RPG roots and has now become a party based roguelike.
What does it even mean?

It means:
- Procedurally generated levels.
- Random items.
- Randomly distributed enemies.
- Death comes swiftly
- You control a party of characters.

The last part merits an explanation. You have up to 3 party members (for now). You can switch between them at any point. Where one goes the others follow, unless you tell them to wait. When combat starts you control them each individually until combat ends. Done.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
eclectocrat said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:
eclectocrat said:
The game has drifted from it's RPG roots and has now become a party based roguelike.
What does it even mean?

It means:
- Procedurally generated levels.
- Random items.
- Randomly distributed enemies.
- Death comes swiftly
- You control a party of characters.

The last part merits an explanation. You have up to 3 party members (for now). You can switch between them at any point. Where one goes the others follow, unless you tell them to wait. When combat starts you control them each individually until combat ends. Done.
Sounds like it didn't leave the RPG roots :P . Anyway, I have never played any party-based roguelikes. It sounds pretty interesting.

eclectocrat

Novice
Hey!

I've released an experimental build for 32 bit windows. It's got no sound and a flaky fullscreen mode, but it's a start.

www.mysteriouscastle.com

mysteriouscastle.png

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I really liked what I played.
The ground level bonus/penalty was nice. The graphics were nice. Pathfinding was good.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
I played it a bit and I must say I like it.

But there where plenty of confusing things:
- Inventory by pressing an arrow on the keybord? I had to restore to the oldschool method of pressing every key on my keybord to finally find it.
- Was it normal that when my party died I was given the command of one elf mothefucker who was kicking some mayor ass? And for some time he was being hit by monsters but no damage was taken by him, his health was always full?
-When I was fighting some demons suddenly my character dissapeared but I was still able to attack the demon and when I did so the game crashed to desktop.
-What with the spellbooks? How can I use them? I found 2, heal and push but couldn't equip them on my character or cast any spell from them.

And now some questions and suggestions:
- Will there be experience and levels in the full game? You know, like in every roguelike, you kill some monsters and you gain enough exp to level up, upgrade your stats and stuff.
- Maybe some traits, special combat moves and stuff unique for every race? Like power strike for the big halfogres, some kind of defense move for dwarves etc?
- Some quests would be nice, nothing fancy, may be randomly generated. Just talk to this npc, he tells you go kill that guy and I will give you this or that.
- Any plans for party bigger than 3?
- Maybe some classes to choose at the beginning of the game? The typical cRPG tropes of warriors, barbarians, mages etc?
- Some way of showing how much HP has the enemy.

All in all, I like the beta, the graphic are really nice, combat is intuitive and there is much potential for a fun game.

eclectocrat

Novice
Zdzisiu said:
I played it a bit and I must say I like it.

Thanks, that means a lot to me. I'm not just making games for myself!

Zdzisiu said:
But there where plenty of confusing things:
- Inventory by pressing an arrow on the keybord? I had to restore to the oldschool method of pressing every key on my keybord to finally find it.

You can now press F1 for a keyguide. The keys are not standard, but a rough translation from touchscreen gestures.

Zdzisiu said:
- Was it normal that when my party died I was given the command of one elf mothefucker who was kicking some mayor ass? And for some time he was being hit by monsters but no damage was taken by him, his health was always full?

You now have the choice to 'reincarnate' when you die, and the not taking damage bug has been fixed.

Zdzisiu said:
-What with the spellbooks? How can I use them? I found 2, heal and push but couldn't equip them on my character or cast any spell from them.

Spells can only be learned by characters with a high enough intelligence. Put an elf or gnome in your party and they'll be able to learn every spell in the game.

Zdzisiu said:
- Will there be experience and levels in the full game? You know, like in every roguelike, you kill some monsters and you gain enough exp to level up, upgrade your stats and stuff.

Powering up is only done through books and items.

Zdzisiu said:
- Maybe some traits, special combat moves and stuff unique for every race? Like power strike for the big halfogres, some kind of defense move for dwarves etc?

Good idea, the game is only just getting started and will evolve a lot over the next few months.

Zdzisiu said:
- Any plans for party bigger than 3?

Yep.

Zdzisiu said:
- Maybe some classes to choose at the beginning of the game? The typical cRPG tropes of warriors, barbarians, mages etc?

No classes, you can choose the character progression through the use of books and items only.

Zdzisiu said:
- Some way of showing how much HP has the enemy.

There are certain items that show enemy HP, and the first level spell "vision" reveals enemy HP too.

Zdzisiu said:
All in all, I like the beta, the graphic are really nice, combat is intuitive and there is much potential for a fun game.

Thanks! The game is just starting out and it's going to get much much better over the course of the next few months. When I get enough sales/donations to buy a copy of Windows 7, I'll port the latest version and make it free to download.

Check out the latest trailer!

http://www.mysteriouscastle.com

kaizoku

Arcane
you should make a trailer/gameplay video and put it on youtube

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Looks nice. I played for a while and liked how there's an ability to pick different types of attacks and spending one turn on aiming for sniping.
Taking high ground into account is nice too.
And the way the tiles are arranged looks pretty cool too.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Any idea why it would look like this?

2vsloxl.jpg

The game isn't locked up or anything, I can still click around in the blackness and move to different screens which show up a bit differently. I can open the help (blue square, no text) and switch between full screen and windowed.

othz0w.jpg

eclectocrat

Novice
Hmm... Looks like it failed to get a renderer. The default renderer for the game is OpenGL, not DirectX, so it may be a driver issue. I'll patch the next release to allow you to switch between OpenGL and DirectX, so you choose whichever works for you.

In the meantime, you could try to get the latest OpenGL drivers for your system. Sorry :(

Nattvardsvin

Learned
I found it enjoyable. I really like the tile graphical style,

Is there a way to get info on the equipment? So you can see beforehand what stat changes the equip will give you? Of course you can use common sense, knowing that a flail gives more damage than a club, but still.

Also, I found the way to access the menus with the arrow keys really interesting, and it worked pretty good IMO. Kind of like it, kind of fluid.

I will follow this with interest. Everything looks good so far I think, just needs to get more advanced obviously. :thumbsup:

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
See this, major developers? Do you see this?

This is how you make an RPG.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
It really looks gorgeous! Will have to try it on my iPod

Keep up the good work! :salute:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Finally! A party roguelike.

Fucking nethack.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom