Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mysteries of Westgate preview

Starwars

Arcane
A bunch of people (mostly NWN2 community members) were invited to LA to check out Mysteries of Westgate. Appearantly, Ataris DRM scheme will be included in the 1.13 patch for NWN2, and MoW is now set to be released in June. Will it hold? Who knows, but it looks like we will see it in the near future at least.

http://www.thieves-guild.net/index.php?pid=390

It sounds good.

Starwars

Arcane
Nope. They say that it was actually completed in freaking September last year, and they've had to wait for Ataris DRM stuff.

Fez

Erudite
The best part is that Atari are still advertising the Gold pack of NWN2 as including it, but when people bought it they just saw a leaflet saying "coming soon...". Ouch.

Implementing the DRM crap in the patches and modules seems to have held things back. Lame.

Starwars

Arcane
It's the copy protection thing that Atari will use in their upcoming products as I understand it. Mysteries of Westgate is the first one to use it, and Obsidian has been tasked with working it into a patch for NWN2.

Noone knows the details of it though. I'm hoping it won't be the online crap like the NWN1 premium mods.

Saxon1974

Prophet
I don't have a problem with the copy protection as long as it works in a hassle free way. I think the Dev's should get paid for the work they do, so I dont mind buying a game if its a well reviewed game (Mostly Codex posters).

Let's hope this DRM doesn't cause any issues, looking forward to this game.

nik2008ofs

Scholar
Saxon1974 said:
Let's hope this DRM doesn't cause any issues,

Yes, and maybe a friendly, selfless alien race will visit Earth tomorrow, cure all disease, restore the environment to its pre-industrial revolution state, provide us with endless supplies of food and energy, show us how to establish global peace and harmony, give all male humans a free blowjob and then be on their merry way.

Saxon1974

Prophet
I haven't had any trouble with copy protection on any games that I can recall. Granted not many games have had any copy protection coming out lately.

Which RPG's had alot of trouble with copy protection? I guess if your a pirate and you don't wanna pay for the game, than I don't really care if you have issues with it.

nik2008ofs

Scholar
Saxon1974 said:
Granted not many games have had any copy protection coming out lately.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Saxon1974 said:
I guess if your a pirate and you don't wanna pay for the game, than I don't really care if you have issues with it.

Can you really be that clueless? The only people not having issues with invasive DRM are those that pirate the games.

Fez

Erudite
True. It's a bitter pill to swallow when the DRM system won't recognise the disc in your drive or you have performance issues in the game because of it while the pirate gets to download a cleaner, easier to use and faster version stripped of all that crap. It seems that the paying customers get punished the most.

Saxon1974

Prophet
nik2008ofs said:
Saxon1974 said:
Granted not many games have had any copy protection coming out lately.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Saxon1974 said:
I guess if your a pirate and you don't wanna pay for the game, than I don't really care if you have issues with it.

Can you really be that clueless? The only people not having issues with invasive DRM are those that pirate the games.

Apparenty I am that clueless. I havent had any issue with copy protection in games I have bought in a past few years. I think Piracy is a problem, is it so bad that its the main reason why PC games are stuggling against console games? I doubt it, but I think the dev's should get paid for their work so I hope they can come up with something that is hasslefree to paying customers that do things the right way.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
i think the first time i bought original game i was expecting something 'extra' aside from the manuals. So whenever I started the game, the CD drive would start making noise and a long one minute wait before the game eventually load. A month later, the validation would keep failing and failing. I decided I had enough.

A crack later, I don't think twice of pirating future games anymore.

I hate walkthrough previews like that. Reminds me of the preview videos on Gamespy showing the complete playthrough of the Omaha beach level in MOHAA before the game came out.

I'll probably be picking Westgate up as long as the DRM isn't too invasive (finger deep within the borderline ok...elbow deep, no)

obediah

Erudite
I think this is the first time I've heard of someone patching DRM into a game. The reverse is quite popular, but congrats to Atari for striking new ( or since I am old and forgetful, newish ) ground in the very competitive industry of Customer Abuse.

Game Publishers are a drunk teenage asshole, and we are a hungry stray dog following him around for the scraps of food he throws between kicking and pissing on us.

Texas Red

Whiner
They should have released it with MotB when everyone was still playing NWN 2. Wonder how many people have left NWN 2 for good after all this time passed.

nik2008ofs

Scholar
obediah said:
I think this is the first time I've heard of someone patching DRM into a game. The reverse is quite popular, but congrats to Atari for striking new ( or since I am old and forgetful, newish ) ground in the very competitive industry of Customer Abuse.

Game Publishers are a drunk teenage asshole, and we are a hungry stray dog following him around for the scraps of food he throws between kicking and pissing on us.

Introducing a new DRM scheme in a patch is perhaps a first, although updating an existing copy protection to a newer version with a patch has been done before ( off the top of my head, LOKI 1.8.0.3 updates the starforce copy protection of the game to its newest version, along with the requisite bug fixes, of course)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom