Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

My first time

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Cloaked Figure said:
FO2 isn't better because of superior writing, or setting. It is better because FO1 has a TIME LIMIT which is atrocious for a CRPG.

Are you serious? I always got the chip within the first 50 days (might have been more like 70 on my first playthrough where I goofed off in the hub and even tried to go after the deathclaw first) and then was able to play as I liked. The water chip timeline is completely inconsequential and only there to make sure people do Necropolis and don't just rush to the Brotherhood and Adytum after the Hub. (which is possible)

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Dark Individual said:
Yeah, the invasion of Necropolis cums to mind. It's mildly interesting that some gaming achievements haven't been repeated after more than a decade.

Originally, the invasion was going to affect all the towns. The longer you took, the more towns got wiped out by the Supermutants. IIRC, and I'm a little fuzzy on it, Fallout 1.0 for DOS actually had that in there. I bought Fallout a few years after it came out, so I had the Windows 1.1 version of it.

Avernum 3 is like that, though. The longer you take to finish the plot, the more towns get destroyed. You can even visit towns in various states of being destroyed.

Are you serious? I always got the chip within the first 50 days (might have been more like 70 on my first playthrough where I goofed off in the hub and even tried to go after the deathclaw first) and then was able to play as I liked. The water chip timeline is completely inconsequential and only there to make sure people do Necropolis and don't just rush to the Brotherhood and Adytum after the Hub. (which is possible)

I actually didn't get the waterchip my first time through. I extended the time limit with the water merchants, then destroyed Mariposa and killed The Master.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
It was something along the lines of how since I solved the Supermutant thingy, they would be free to look for other sources of water. Then I got kicked out of the vault. :)

Also, the original plan for Fallout was that you could join the Master at the end, then attack Vault 13 as a Supermutant with a few other Supermutant buddies. That was scrapped due to time constraints.

Hory

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
Originally, the invasion was going to affect all the towns. The longer you took, the more towns got wiped out by the Supermutants. IIRC, and I'm a little fuzzy on it, Fallout 1.0 for DOS actually had that in there. I bought Fallout a few years after it came out, so I had the Windows 1.1 version of it.
Really, the DOS version has different content like that?

Saint_Proverbius said:
Also, the original plan for Fallout was that you could join the Master at the end, then attack Vault 13 as a Supermutant with a few other Supermutant buddies. That was scrapped due to time constraints.
Wow, that would have been one of the most awesome endings of any games. Fallout Restoration Project material.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom