Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

MTGO aka MODO

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
People still playing? Modern Masters was just released in the closed BETA which I'm a part of, so we get to draft it for free ATM :bounce:

That's, like, extremely charitable for them to let beta testers draft MMA for free. Financially speaking, this thing is a fucking scam in MTGO, priced to suck the living souls out of users, so yeah.

Don't like your build, though - I'd go with 16 lands + paradise mantle (you have guys like sculptors or retrievers or arcbound workers - decent enough targets for it) and would've found place for frogmite + 2 enforcers (plumeveil, spellstutter & latchkey, I think).

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
That's, like, extremely charitable for them to let beta testers draft MMA for free.

The closed BETA is so baller. But they also demand that you take active part in the process.

Don't like your build, though - I'd go with 16 lands + paradise mantle (you have guys like sculptors or retrievers or arcbound workers - decent enough targets for it) and would've found place for frogmite + 2 enforcers (plumeveil, spellstutter & latchkey, I think).

The mantle was a derp - it ended up in the main before I submitted. However, the lack of enforcers was due to me wanting to fuck around with some faeries and stacked value off of Esperzoa and gargoyles. When you can draft for free you can afford to go some crazy routes :)

Plus, I won all matches with exactly Esperzoa + Gargoyle value :P

DakaSha

Arcane
I actually have a mtgo account with a shitload of tier 1 cards or whatever they are called. Haven't played in years tho. i should sell my collection

Pope Amole II

Developer
The mantle was a derp - it ended up in the main before I submitted. However, the lack of enforcers was due to me wanting to fuck around with some faeries and stacked value off of Esperzoa and gargoyles. When you can draft for free you can afford to go some crazy routes :)

Plus, I won all matches with exactly Esperzoa + Gargoyle value :P

Well, mantle is meant to be played with the affinity spells, so it's obvious that without them it's not as good (besides, since it's there instead of the land, not an actual card, it's derpiness doesn't matter as much). And enforcers are really needed here because your deck focuses too much on card advantage and too little on tempo. And not enough finishers - I mean, getting an esperzoa constantly is awesome and stuff, but, considering you're running 1 copy of it, it was really lucky.

But mind you, mtgo is my source of income atm so I bear a very extreme "do or die" attitude when it comes to drafting & stuff, so for me it's all about power (& money).

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
^
Grunker said:
When you can draft for free you can afford to go some crazy routes

After you saying that to this deck I'm glad I didn't post my giant deck with eight copies of blindspot giant, lol.

Pope Amole II

Developer
Actually, no. RW giants is a valid archetype and said giant, while kinda iffy on his own, is quite great in numbers. It's quite a rare occurence, though - MMA is a large set and it's an extreme rarity to have even 4 copies of same card, no matter the power of it.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Another day, another artifact deck:

eUJwl8Y.jpg

Not to sure about this one, you can probably criticize it to hell and back Pope Amole II. Testing now whether it is the nut or not.

Pope Amole II

Developer
TBH, the proper way to criticize draft decks is uploading the logs to the raredraft.com - I mean, draft logs are available in beta client, right? Because more often than not in limited it's less about deckbuilding and more about drafting, and it's mostly there where your fate gets decided.

As for the deck... Well, I liked the previous one more - this one is somewhate random because it's three colors with small amounts of fixing and some things here (like enforcers and frogmites) may or may not work depending on the hands you'll draw. But, looking at your sideboard, there's not much you can change here.

Pope Amole II

Developer
No, as I've said, in modo it's nothing but a fucking scam - 30 tix for a single elimination event is just way, way too much (and the prizes to investment ratio also sucks). And cards themselves got damped to hell by the bot chains, so opening money is a total pipe dream.

Oh, there were also phantom queues, but they also featured absolutely improper prizepools (which were paid mostly in the untradeable cube tickets) so it was nothing but a huge waste of money. Perhaps a small percent of lucky bastards made their profit, but the majority of players lost heavily.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Wow, lol. I got there in the first match. First game I win on 3 life, second game he wins on 4 life, last game I win on 1 life.

EDIT: Next game, game 3 og 3. I'm at 2, he's at 8. He has no hand and a 6/5 creature. I have 3 swamp, 3 plains, 3 island. In hand:

Image.ashx

I draw a creature, block, he draws land. Repeat four times. I draw swamp, he loses.

I felt legitimately bad.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Phtisis is such a shit card. Never even seen it resolve

Someone who never plays draft detected.

Phtisis was excellent in Time Spiral as a one-off, and it is decent in MMA. When it resolves it often outright kills your opponent and if not it maims him and takes his best creature.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Phtisis was excellent in Time Spiral as a one-off, and it is decent in MMA. When it resolves it often outright kills your opponent and if not it maims him and takes his best creature.
I only play draft. People aren't shit enough that they go 7+ turns without killing you or finding a response. Lots of bounces and sacs in MM.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

I only play draft. People aren't shit enough that they go 7+ turns without killing you or finding a response. Lots of bounces and sacs in MM.

o_O

Three things about this format: Plenty of answers (games often go long), plenty of board (players have many creatures out). If your opponent willing doesn't play creatures for five turns or actually bounces his own dude, the card and two mana has been MORE than worth it.

Unless one of the players has an inferior deck, games often go that long in Modern Masters as the format has plenty of answers. And the upside for being hard to cast is awesome: you don't cast this card without winning the game unless you're so screwed almost no card could save you anyway.

Note that I'm not saying it's a great card, but as a one-off in a control deck that can cast it, it's a fine card. I've only had to hard-cast it that one time, and it has resolved in over half the games where I've had it in my hand at some point.

Brad Nelson and Marshall Sutcliffe agrees with me.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Obviously its not a useless cards, its just that most of the time there's a better black card you could play imo. I think you're sort of ignoring the fact that it's basically dead for a large part of the game. Yes you get to kill a creature at some point, but if its a large threat you need to kill it now, not in 5 turns, and if it isn't a large threat Phtisis doesn't have that much impact.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Obviously its not a useless cards, its just that most of the time there's a better black card you could play imo. I think you're sort of ignoring the fact that it's basically dead for a large part of the game. Yes you get to kill a creature at some point, but if its a large threat you need to kill it now, not in 5 turns, and if it isn't a large threat Phtisis doesn't have that much impact.

I think you're misjudging the card, and I think I know why: You seem to be treating it like removal. It isn't. It's a bomb.

You play Phtisis because if you cast it, it completely hoses your opponent by taking, on average, around 9 or 10 life in one swing and killing the best creature he has in play at that time.

I don't pick it highly, but it does end up taking a spot once a while when I get it, and I'm almost never sorry to play it.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Oh, and by the way, this format fucking rocks. It's such a shame that it's so expensive to play, I really feel bad for anyone who loves to draft that doesn't get to play this much :/

Pope Amole II

Developer
Actually, no one gets to play it much because in the actual client it was drafted for, like, 2 weeks and that's it, big money or no, you can't play it anymore. I guess they'll be returning it for a week once in a while (as they do with those old sets & MEDs), but it was never meant to be a hugely played format.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Actually, no one gets to play it much because in the actual client it was drafted for, like, 2 weeks and that's it, big money or no, you can't play it anymore. I guess they'll be returning it for a week once in a while (as they do with those old sets & MEDs), but it was never meant to be a hugely played format.

That sucks though, 'cause it's a really shiny format. But then they don't bring back cube that often either.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Oh, and by the way, this format fucking rocks. It's such a shame that it's so expensive to play, I really feel bad for anyone who loves to draft that doesn't get to play this much :/
Yeah, its a shame its already come and gone over here in the real world. If MTGO wasn't a huge fucking ripoff I'd prob have kept playing it over dere.

DakaSha

Arcane
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck i have all these cards and have no idea what my collection is worth. I would just play if this shit wasnt completely pay2win (yeah what was i expecting back then).
Its mostly shit cards because i played exclusively pauper (due to it being cheaper) but i know i have a few worth something, and they should add up anyways.

What is the most reliable way to find out how much my shitty collection is worth? Besides giving them to grunker to try out :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom