Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mount & Blade: My humble opinion.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
3002 posts
nice man

Also, M&B is a lot of fun but after some time you just get bored by having nothing to do except fight. A story would've been nice.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Remember the great mods - some of them add hi-res models, others tweak sounds/gfx otherwise, yet others change core gameplay and finally some change the world completely. There's even WW1-mod for M&B. Considering how cheap it is and that it really is a indie game, it's great.

spacemoose

Erudite
M&B would be an excellent platform to build oh-so-sexy ASOIAF mods on if they would release a toolkit

DefJam101

Arcane
I got pretty good at archery head shots from horseback.

Then I tried to siege a castle and spent 3 months in rehab. :?

sah

Liturgist
How many men did you guys have on your first successful siege? My Khergit horse army sucked at sieges.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
88, mostly Huscarls, Sharpshooters and Veteran Archers.

I'm bit of a lamer in that I ride around with ~30 Swadian Knights and rest of my army is various other troops in-training. As soon as I've got them through the troop-tree, I place them into my castle and recruit more peasants. When I spot a castle with small enough garrison, I switch - putting my valuable knights into my own castle and taking the elite infantry/archers out.

Khergits are notoriously bad for sieges since their troops lack armour. Try to get to be a Marshal so you can command other Lords to join you in sieges. That way you'll have enough cannon fodder to actually grab the castle.

Kiont

Novice
I see M&B as an awesome game engine, you gotta use some mods to make it a real game!

Ashery

Prophet
GarfunkeL said:
88, mostly Huscarls, Sharpshooters and Veteran Archers.

I'm bit of a lamer in that I ride around with ~30 Swadian Knights and rest of my army is various other troops in-training. As soon as I've got them through the troop-tree, I place them into my castle and recruit more peasants. When I spot a castle with small enough garrison, I switch - putting my valuable knights into my own castle and taking the elite infantry/archers out.

Khergits are notoriously bad for sieges since their troops lack armour. Try to get to be a Marshal so you can command other Lords to join you in sieges. That way you'll have enough cannon fodder to actually grab the castle.

If your main character is a horse archer and you don't mind exploiting, Khergits can do a decent enough job of taking castles.

The strategy is this: Carry into the fight a bow and three slots of ammunition. Tell your main force to hold ground a bit in front of where you'll be firing from...just far enough so that you won't be fired at or hit by stray shots. Aim for the heads of their ranged units from relative safety. Once out of ammo, either loot some arrows off of the bodies of your dead or retreat to get more.

The end result will usually be ~20-40 of theirs dead for ~5-10 of yours. Probably off a bit on those numbers, but you end up killing several times more than you lose (Even more if you're able to loot your own dead for arrows).

The problem ends up being morale loss due to having to retreat multiple times.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Ashery said:
The strategy is this: Carry into the fight a bow and three slots of ammunition. Tell your main force to hold ground a bit in front of where you'll be firing from...just far enough so that you won't be fired at or hit by stray shots. Aim for the heads of their ranged units from relative safety. Once out of ammo, either loot some arrows off of the bodies of your dead or retreat to get more.
Having no inventory in sieges sucks. However, instead of retreating, when you run out of arrows run up the plank with your Great Sword and have at it. The key is to take out the enemy archers / crossbowmen that are around the plank with your arrows so they can't hit you as you fight with your sword. The long range Great / War Sword and a constant "run up, swing down, run back" motion guarantees another 40+ kills depending on how you go. If you clear the walkway enough, order your men up and have at it.

It's really easy to time attacks if you watch the bad guys and if the one or two near the single-path at the end of the plank are swinging, you hang back a bit, wait, then run up and swing after they've just swung. Don't bother with guys that have their shields up and focus on the soft defenseless opponents.

Sometimes the best way though is to run up the plank, jump OVER the bad guys onto the other side (falling off the wall and into the castle if necessary to avoid the crush), then order your men to attack. As you run back up the stairs inside the castle, the bad guys will have their backs to you as they attack your men and you can just hack at them at will. Eventually your guys break through and its win from there. It's all about killing everyone yourself and using your men as distractions, which is all they're really good for.

This way, you take out a good number of more blokes before they kill you and you avoid retreating (and a morale loss). However, doing this a lot can make you dizzy and prone to a "I want to vomit now" feeling. If you get "killed" you'll auto-retreat so rest a day and repeat (which for some castles, happens anyway as you have to wait for a siege tower to be built).

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Your guys' strategies suck. Here's mine:

You need to open the rgl_config.txt in the Mount & Blade installation folder and edit it.
Find the line cheat_mode = 0
and change it to cheat_mode = 1

The gold cheat only works in the inventory screen, The health cheat only works in battle, the instant kill cheat only works in battle, The see all partys cheat only works on the map screen,The AI take over character cheat only works in battle,The add 1000 XP cheat only works in the character screen.

CTRL+W Adds 10 to each weapon proficiency
CTRL+X Adds 1000 XP in the character screen
CTRL+F5 AI takes over character in fights.
CTRL+F4 Each press kills one enemy you are fighting.
CTRL+H Heals you fully.
Ctrl-f3 Hurt yourself.
CTRL+X In the inventory it adds 1000 Gold to your amount of money.
Ctrl+Shift+F6 Knock out all your troops
Ctrl+F6 Knock out one of your troops
CTRL+SHIFT+F4 Knocks out all enemies zoomed into
CTRL + F9 Slow Motion (tap again to go back to normal)
CTRL+Left Click Teleports party to the cursor
CTRL+T This lets you see all partys on the map.
CTRL+X Upgrades the selected party member

Guaranteed victory, nubcaeks. That's how a real gamer plays.

Humanophage

Arcane
It's more reasonable to view the game as a medieval battle simulator than an RPG. While the absence of a proper plot is quite bad for the overall impression, it is probably more beneficial than detrimental for the replay value. Having purchased the game over three years ago, I still come back to it very often for a couple of fights in the arena.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Story is not what this game really needs. It needs more fluff - more stuff to do - making alliances, management of castles; better, more tactical sieges, more tactical abilities in combat in general. In other words - it needs more strategy in its FPS.
Then it will be a great medieval combat (and not only) simulator.

Being a big gay tubesteak hahahahahahahahag
Honestly, the one thing I really want is decent siege battles. I go by the same strategies as DU, because it's pretty much all you can do if you want to actually succeed. And, while hacking away at people from behind gives a certain homoerotic pleasure, it's just altogether badly done.

Panthera

Scholar
I will need a new pair of pants when the Hegemony mod for 1.x is finally released.

Multi-headed Cow

Since this is cheap on Steam at the moment someone should list mods that make this game worth $7.50

spectre

Arcane
Search, biatch. There's another M&B topic with mods listed lying around.

Multi-headed Cow

The advantage of people posting new lists is that they would reflect changes in the mods available. NEWER MODS YO~~~

Severian Silk

Multi-headed Cow said:
Since this is cheap on Steam at the moment someone should list mods that make this game worth $7.50

Damn.

That's less than what I paid when the game was still in development.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom