Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
The current gen consoles are using blu-ray disks for games, and devs feel like they aren't ought to do anything about compression and proper packaging from now on. The thing is, there are rumors that Bannerlord will come out on conslows too.

Yes, because you obviously know all about this don't you?

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
do you want lower quality textures?
I want a reasonable game size, and graphics fidelity has nothing to do with it.
The current gen consoles are using blu-ray disks for games, and devs feel like they aren't ought to do anything about compression and proper packaging from now on. The thing is, there are rumors that Bannerlord will come out on conslows too.

Bullshit, steam uses compression. And if 40 measly gigs (which is nothing these days) is a dealbreaker for you, maybe you should look into buying a decent hard drive before even thinking of games.

Latelistener

Arcane
Yes, because you obviously know all about this don't you?
If you have a better explanation on why game sizes suddenly increased in 3+ times compared to pre-2013, with minor visual enhancements, then be my guest.

Bullshit, steam uses compression. And if 40 measly gigs (which is nothing these days) is a dealbreaker for you, maybe you should look into buying a decent hard drive before even thinking of games.
Games with overbloated sizes are simply an inconvenience, especially for PC, where 95% of games distributed digitally, and it does not even provides better visual fidelity as someone tends to believe.

Although if you really like wasting your time and HDD space just for the sake of it, you may simply create multiple copies of a game folder.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Games with overbloated sizes are simply an inconvenience, especially for PC, where 95% of games distributed digitally, and it does not even provides better visual fidelity as someone tends to believe.

If you can't tell the difference between a 512x512 texture and a 4096x4096 one, I don't know what to tell you. Even 8K textures aren't an exaggeration, it's always better to have more options. We won't know what takes up all that space until the first versions hit Steam, but chances are there's more audio this time too - at decent quality those require plenty of space as well, especially if there's localization.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I think it will come out on consoles eventually but I doubt it will be at launch. They've been demoing the game on a laptop if I remember correctly.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
The combat mechanics are the best part of Warband. All they need to do in my opinion is add some refinements like overhead thrusts, properly implemented shield bashes not tied to the block button, and maybe extra things like side bashes with polearms.

Raapys

Arcane
They need to get some actual physics into the battles, rather than just simple collision and hit detection.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
What do you mean? Momentum plays a big part in combat both on foot and on horseback. I get what you mean with hit detection something similar to how War of the Roses handled armor would be neat.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Against humans it can be fun maybe, but against A.I... Perfect unbreakable blocks (unless facing too many opponents) rather than deflecting stuff... No distance closers, lunging thrusts etc. No way to change grip on a pole-arm for close-in fighting, no way to hook people, weapons, shields etc. Problems with horses insta-stopping the second they touch another horse or whatever. A.I. bumrushing you and swinging hilariously with just the upper body while doing so. Looks like retarded Unreal Tournament bots. A.I. having no sense of distance to target in general. Laughably slow thrusts esp. on polearms. No way to switch between various parts of a weapon (from blunt to spike on a warhammer for example... Though you can mod that in to some degree).
It was fine for it's time but I was really hoping they'd improve it in general. And who the hell slowly accelerates into a light trot. The characters' handling is bizarre.
Armor could also use a new interpretation so you can target weaker areas maybe, but I think that may be too much in terms of calculations with the large battle sizes... I really hope they fixed the odd physics stutter you'd get with lots of A.I. targeting and movement routines.

The way the game was the way various weapons and weapon-types were used made no real sense. Not the end of the world, but it'd be nice if they improved things is all. I mean, 5 years of development...

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Against humans it can be fun maybe, but against A.I... Perfect unbreakable blocks (unless facing too many opponents) rather than deflecting stuff... No distance closers, lunging thrusts etc. No way to change grip on a pole-arm for close-in fighting, no way to hook people, weapons, shields etc. Problems with horses insta-stopping the second they touch another horse or whatever. A.I. bumrushing you and swinging hilariously with just the upper body while doing so. Looks like retarded Unreal Tournament bots. A.I. having no sense of distance to target in general. Laughably slow thrusts esp. on polearms. No way to switch between various parts of a weapon (from blunt to spike on a warhammer for example... Though you can mod that in to some degree).
It was fine for it's time but I was really hoping they'd improve it in general. And who the hell slowly accelerates into a light trot. The characters' handling is bizarre.
Armor could also use a new interpretation so you can target weaker areas maybe, but I think that may be too much in terms of calculations with the large battle sizes... I really hope they fixed the odd physics stutter you'd get with lots of A.I. targeting and movement routines.

The way the game was the way various weapons and weapon-types were used made no real sense. Not the end of the world, but it'd be nice if they improved things is all. I mean, 5 years of development...
Check out brainybots and there are plenty of mods that add all sorts of extra combat moves that make spears top tier. Blocks are breakable with certain weapon types and if you use heavier weapons enemies will be stunned after blocking for a longer period.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist

Check out brainybots and there are plenty of mods that add all sorts of extra combat moves that make spears top tier. Blocks are breakable with certain weapon types and if you use heavier weapons enemies will be stunned after blocking for a longer period.

Oh yeah, i did all that back when I played the game for 100's of hours on end, but it'd be nice if modders a) had an easier time and b) didn't have to add all of that stuff themselves.
Also modded in some basic half-swording and whatnot myself, added crush-through on more weapons and so on. But it's all kind of ad-hoc, so I'm hoping the devs will take a good hard look at all those popular mods out there and what people kept asking for in terms of combat stuff and not just some basic map things.
Never encountered the stun after blocking for a while though? I only know the knockdown effect. Was the stun from a mod as well?

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Never encountered the stun after blocking for a while though? I only know the knockdown effect. Was the stun from a mod as well?
No it's in vanilla but for only heavier weapons. You can read more about it here just ctrl+f "stun". I do agree that popular mod features should be in the base game already and it seems that they've confirmed things like diplomacy mod and upstab will be there. The little bit of combat that we've seen from Bannerlord shows they've changed the combat a bit with more animation types for weapons and cleave damage when swinging. I don't know if that's going to work out but we'll find out when it goes in early access.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.pcgamer.com/mount-blade-2-bannerlord-creators-give-update-on-development-progress/

Mount & Blade 2: Bannerlord creators give update on development progress
Work is progressing, but there's still no sign of a release date.

Frank Elliott, perhaps better known as TaleWorlds community manager Captain Lust, recently took to the studio's forum to answer questions about its long-in-progress project Mount & Blade 2: Bannerlord. After some exciting siege gameplay footage last year, information about the game has been a bit slow in coming, so it's good to hear that development is proceeding according to plan. Unfortunately, even though Bannerlord was announced in 2012, the general theme of his responses is that it's still too early to offer much in the way of detail.

Regarding the studio's efforts on improving combat systems, for instance, he said TaleWorlds is working on "everything really, just making combat look and feel great in every sense!" He provided a more detailed response to questions about character aging and mortality, a feature that's been mentioned but not detailed, but ended up in roughly the same place.

"Unfortunately it's not the right time (or really the right platform) to talk about unrevealed aspects of these features. Nothing is a guarantee and although we try to avoid it, everything has the potential to be changed entirely or dropped altogether; such is the nature of game development," he wrote. "However, we have made every effort to ensure that features we mention are either fully/partially implemented or planned with a very high degree of certainty (which isn't a response to the actions of or reactions to actions of any other company—it has always been our approach!). We don't just mention things without consideration and permanent character death is still something you can expect to see in the game. That hasn't changed. It's simply the case that discussing finer details of the feature wouldn't be appropriate right now, to avoid giving information that could end up misleading, in relation to Bannerlord as a final product."

Elliott did emphasize that no external testing has yet taken place, saying, "Anyone who tells you otherwise is either misinformed or lying!" He also addressed rumors that development had run into trouble because of the departure of a key person. "Our previous lead engine programmer did move to another company some time ago. About a year... I think? But that's not the kind of thing that would stop a game from getting finished," he wrote. "While he is a brilliant computer engineer and a lovely bloke, we have a fantastic team of engine programmers and I think they're working very well."

Other noteworthy points to emerge: Character animations are not currently final ("If you have some thoughts, feel free to share them!"), multiplayer uses the same equipment slots and single player, it's not currently possible to turn off permadeath, there's no stamina-style feature for either players or AI, and the possibility of a co-op campaign remains slim.

"[Co-op in Mount & Blade] is very difficult to do, not just because of the technical difficulty, but also to make things practically playable when we have two people doing wildly different things in real-time. One player might be trying to have a very exciting battle that is the climax of a very important experience, and one player just beforehand decides to go to town and look at the marketplace. These people have to be in the same gameworld and it’s very difficult to make sure that they’re both enjoying themselves and all having a great campaign experience simultaneously. It’s almost impossible without cutting down on what the game offers," TaleWorlds CEO Armagan Yavuz told RPS in 2016.

"There may be another way to manage all of those things, by limiting the co-op to one kind of campaign. Let people play together as a party and have them always be together. That might be possible and that may be the the only kind of co-op that we can deliver. It’s something we’re experimenting with and that we have worked on. We’ll only officially announce something if we can make it 100% efficient and fun to play though."

And finally, an estimated playable date—or, more precisely, a lack thereof. In response to a post asking if Mount & Blade fans could expect to have something in their hands within the next two months, Elliott wrote, "Really can't talk about dates at all. I want to say that's looking at least a little early though, to be honest."

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Unfortunately, the fact that they have been developing for so long with little concrete to show suggests that something is seriously wrong over at taleworlds.

I'm not very optimistic about them releasing something good anytime soon, if ever :-(

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
What's this aging and mortality thing. Will there be dynasties in the game?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Unfortunately, the fact that they have been developing for so long with little concrete to show suggests that something is seriously wrong over at taleworlds.

I'm not very optimistic about them releasing something good anytime soon, if ever :-(
It's on the Steam storefront so I have to assume it will have early access within the year.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
My name is Vishnu Vijayakumar. I am the Producer at TaleWorlds Entertainment. We are a game development studio located in Turkey and we are the creators of the sandbox series known as Mount & Blade. Our new title, Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord is currently under development. We heard about your technology and we are interested in integrating the anti crack system in our upcoming title. Could you please put me in touch with someone from your technical and sales team so that we can discuss and understand how your system works - and possibly evaluate your technology? Thank you very much!

From the denuvo database leak. :negative:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Huh, a wyrmlord at Taleworlds.
Did the leaks give us a goddamn release date?

hajro

Arbiter
Went from buying if good codex impressions to getting the CPY deluxe edition :positive:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom