Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
In Fire & Sword (which was terrible) they had something like that. You could buy general gear upgrades for certain classes of troops.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I'd prefer a more abstract system for that. Have a general "equipment level" stat for the army that gives bonuses to all troops. It should increase from looting and investing money, and decrease when you flee from battle, recruit from villages or promote troops.

Brinko

Arcane
http://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/Blog/5
Happy New Year to those operating on the Gregorian Calender and a round, warm hello to all. “Blog!”, they cried and it was written. 2013 has been a year of growth for us at TaleWorlds and with each passing month, work intensifies on Bannerlord. The new year has already started with the achievement of 100,000 likes on our official Facebook page. It feels like a great milestone and we'd like to thank everyone for all the support. Now let us tell you a little bit more about making Bannerlord.

For this week, focus will be drawn on the other half of “Team 1” (see Blog 3 for an explanation), developers of the combat and physics aspects of the engine, as well as web development. The room is calm and quiet, closest to the main door of all the development teams. Mount&Blade is arguably most well known for the originality of its combat system, so in developing the next full installment in the series, it is naturally an area which receives a lot of attention during design discussions and testing. A constant work of refinement. Visits to and from the engine team are a norm and work is done closely with the animators, whose role in the combat system is a vital one.

twdd_04_room_shot.jpg

The team's efforts have shifted lately to improving the playability of the game, edging towards a point where testing can be done in a more constructive manner, with targets of “mini-releases” at the end of two week sprint work periods.

Right now the team is working on one of the most requested improvements for the new game: an expansion of the siege battles. “Request” covers everything from detailed 3 page detailed design documents, to messages saying “makE BetTer SIEges!1”, to people simply angrily complaining about the state of sieges in the previous games. Rest assured, in whichever form you express it, we hear it and it is something we're spending a lot of time on right now.

twdd_04_aserai_siege_2.jpg

The goal is to add complexity to the relatively basic system in Warband. At the same time, it is important to avoid breaking something that already works. The benefits of the Warband sieges are that the attackers is pretty much always at a disadvantage, varying from castle to castle, but can overcome it with a superior force. By adding flexibility to the attackers with multiple points of entry, there will be potential for the player to use more tactics and not just brute force, for a more successful engagement.

Level design is key to the gameplay of sieges in Mount&Blade and with the artists doing the bulk of the scening work, communication between those making the scenes and those programming the mechanics is fundamentally important. As a company which has seen expansion, extra meetings and an active effort from those working on the game can sometimes be required to keep everybody up to speed. Ultimately, sieges should be something challenging but rewarding, dramatic. A part of the game where players have some unforgettable moments that separate good games from great ones.

twdd_04_aserai_siege_1.jpg

In the screenshots, you get a little taste of how sieges might feel and while a screenshot will never truly do justice to the chaos and terror of a Warband siege (let alone one in Bannerlord), you'll have to wait a little longer for a video to come out.Needless to say everything seen in the shots is a work in progress but there are a few bits and nibs to be sucked from them, hidden away like nectar in an orchid. Even bees don't eat for free.

The story ends here for now. Given the nature of Team 1's work, they will likely be the centre of some attention for many of the future blog topics. Hopefully it has been interesting to learn a little bit about what's going on.

Thane Solus

Arcane
mods will fix it.

MB Warband is one of my favorite games in the last 14 years, of course vanilla is just a mediocre game with a lot potential, boosted by some cored mods, this game turns into a gem:

Mods like Diplomacy and Formations + a few tweaks. A good fit is the Warband Enhanced, yes, i made it for myself, and then made it public: http://www.moddb.com/mods/warband-enhanced/ (not self promotion, the mod is popular enough, just read the description for some of the core mods)

Hope they fix the sieges, in these screenshots they look the same, but i hope i am wrong. Anyway, cant wait to see what this game brings new and hopefully the modding will be easier this time, i hate python lol.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Well in that one screenie there's a ladder and a siege tower, so that's something at least. It never made sense to have a 1000-man army that uses a single ladder to invade an enemy town. Optimally they'd do away with those pre-set choke points entirely and let the siege commander decide on the methods used (this could also be a good money sink, quality battering rams must've been expensive), but then they'd have to give the defenders more active ways to defend (pour boiling tar on the besiegers, now who wouldn't want that).

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
Well in that one screenie there's a ladder and a siege tower, so that's something at least. It never made sense to have a 1000-man army that uses a single ladder to invade an enemy town. Optimally they'd do away with those pre-set choke points entirely and let the siege commander decide on the methods used (this could also be a good money sink, quality battering rams must've been expensive), but then they'd have to give the defenders more active ways to defend (pour boiling tar on the besiegers, now who wouldn't want that).
Exactly. It would be awesome, but unlikely to happen. No the core focus of the game in any case, as you don't actually build anything.

Now that would be something, if they introduced construction...

Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
For me, the most important improvement would probably be troops with a bit more intelligence during the sieges. Oftentimes all the troops bunched up in the same place, and newly reinforced archers all ran to the same place, instead of spreading out.

Boyarpunk

Hey there, fuckface-uh!
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Codex USB, 2014
BREAKING NEWS: Paradox cuts TaleWorld's cord...

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...Paradox-stables-heading-out-on-new-adventures

As of January 31st at 00:00 (UTC -08:00) Paradox Interactive will be handing over the reins for Mount and Blade back to the developer, TaleWorlds. It’s been five and a half years since Mount and Blade was released, five and a half years of sieges, tournaments and pitched open-field battles, and of course, the odd expansion or two!

We feel honoured to have fought beside you and at our final parting of ways would bid our farewells with a gift which has automatically been added to your Steam library.

What is your gift? One of our internal studios, Paradox North, is currently hard at work on a spell-casting action PVP game by the name of Magicka: Wizard Wars. As we know that you are all fans of fast-paced tactical combat we feel that you would be equally as adept with a robe and staff as you are with sword and shield, as such our gift to you is an invitation to our Early Access alpha of Magicka: Wizard Wars.

If you would like to know more about the game please do check www.wizardwars.com or our official forum at http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...ka-Wizard-Wars.

Again, thank you for an exciting five and a half years!

/Paradox Interactive

Borelli

Arcane
It always felt weird to me when people who only found out about M&B when Pdox started selling it refered to it as Paradox's product, i mean technically it IS true but as someone who found out about it 8 years ago (on HotU, version 0.751) it was always Taleworlds for me. This is highly hypocritical of me though, since Pdox is a publisher of many games and i never bother to remember their developer's names.:oops:

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
That's strange, I thought M&B had good sales. Also, M&B2 development seems fine so far, making it even more strange that Paradox will stop being TaleWorlds' publisher.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
They were. This is just Paradox's right to sell/profit from the first few games ending. So now they'll be 'published' by Talewords.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
The ties were cut quite some time ago. I think the deal soured on Taleword's side.

Indeed. Now I feel like a true prophet:

It seems to me like they've been waiting for an entire year in silence for a reason. They're no longer associated with Paradox, which is interesting. Paradox pulled a massive dick move last year, when they pretty much said: "We're having another studio make Warband again, but prettier. Deal with it." and announced War of the Roses. That also didn't do great. I think TW was contractually obligated to wait with Bannerlord stuff a whole year after the announcement, not to hurt the sales of WotR or something of the sort.
Now there's also going to be War of the Vikings, which looks even dumber than WotR, so in theory that's direct MP competition to Bannerlord. Good, if it's anything like WotR, Taleworlds have nothing to worry about. Plus their game will have the singleplayer campaign.

yes-i-am-wizard-thumb.jpg

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
From the Facebook page:

Paradox have just made an announcement about the Mount&Blade franchise. Since some of you might we wondering what this means or why it's happening, we'd like to make a short announcement ourselves.

Simply put, the nature of our partnership with our friends at Paradox has changed slightly so that TaleWorlds Entertainment will have more control over the handling of the Mount&Blade franchise from now on, putting us firmly in the saddle. This is something we think will benefit us and Mount&Blade players.

In reality, we have always been an independent studio and have been managing all the technical aspects and maintenance of our titles. We are now in a position to manage the marketing and distribution side of things too. So we're just becoming a little more independent than before.

Some answers to questions you might have (we'll add things to here if we get a lot of the same question!):

*Q: Do I have to buy the game again?*
A: No of course not! This will not affect your current games or your experience with the games at all.

*Q: How will this affect Bannerlord?*
A: Not at all. Bannerlord has been developed exclusively by Taleworlds right from the start.

*Q: Oh, so everything's good?*
A: Yes! Just keep having fun with our games and stay tuned for news on the new one.

heh heh.

Brinko

Arcane

Not Bannerlord but the devs of With fire and potato working on what I guess is their version of Pirates!

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
They've been working on that forever and it's gotten sidetracked multiple times.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Happy Friday to avid readers and passers by. It has been a little while since our last Bannerlord Blog. In this entry we are once more decreasing the number of unblogged rooms in the office by one. Although some animations are made and polished in various parts of the office, many are captured in our very own motion capture studio near the main door of our offices. The animation hub and thus the associated blog room for this episode.

The movements that characters and animals (neigh!) make in the game all have to be defined by animations. In most games, these animations have one requirement, which is to look good. In this sense, good normally means realistic, or at the very least, believable. If you don't notice anything weird, then the animations are normally pretty decent. Naturally, Mount&Blade also has that requirement, but on top of that, due to the mounted and melee combat systems, many of the animations are also inherently linked to gameplay. All of our hits are calculated precisely, so if, for example, a sword swing animation shifts the shoulder forward an inch, then swords will have an inch more range, (which will have an effect on the calculation). That is obviously something that will affect gameplay directly and requires extra care, as well as constant reworking, in order to get right. This isn't a factor that comes into play when making animations for firing guns or combat systems that don't use physics based hit detection.

We have largely aesthetic animations too, even in combat. The animation for reloading a crossbow isn't going to have a dramatic effect on gameplay - perhaps how low the character bends will affect what obstacles cover them while reloading. The speed of the animation is obviously a factor there but can easily be changed by swapping a few numbers around. What is crucial is that it looks like an actual crossbow being reloaded so that when you see it in the game, you hardly notice it. If, instead, it looks more like the character's bones are made of jelly and they are trying to eat the dirt on the ground, then it will probably have a negative effect on your experience when playing the game - after some initial amusement.

To make these animations we use our motion capture studio as much as possible. The process of motion capture basically involves putting on a rather silly looking suit with little white bobbles ("markers", for the tech-head) on it and making the desired movements in the middle of a host of special cameras (18 in our set up). The cameras track the white bobbles and record the way they move into a computer file. Making animations with motion capture saves a lot of time and painstaking work moving the bones and joints of the virtual skeleton (this is more like a human-ish stick man than an undead in a fantasy game). Simply capturing this in realtime saves a lot of this work, perhaps leaving only some cleaning before the animation is ready for the game. It is also likely to produce a more realistic result as motion capture picks up on more subtle natural movements that are harder to recreate by hand. It is especially useful for idle animations (standing or sitting doing nothing!).

Certain animations are more difficult to capture in our studio. For example our horses are animated by hand since, while it is possible to motion capture a horse, bringing it into the studio as an unexpected variable would disturb our more nervous programmers. Also motion capturing a horse in combat might present some animal rights issues. Charging a horse into a wall would have to be done by hand in any case.

As you can see in the screenshot, the taverns in Bannerlord already have a lot more atmosphere than those in Warband. People are sitting, drinking, stretching and talking just like a real medieval tavern. Though this is still a work in progress and some way from where we want them to be. Our animators are constantly working on making Calradia come to life in order to give the player a vivid game experience while paying attention to detail and life-like movements.
WTF animal rights?

Last edited:

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Did they motion capture 50 guys on a single ladder to see what that should look like?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom