Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mother 3

FleetFeet

Novice
Two questions

1. Is it any good?

2. If so how can I play it? ( I have an emulator but need the game data)

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It is pretty good, yeah, especially if Earthbound is your thing. In fact, there's an awesome LP by lightbane on the Codex Playground that you should probably check out: http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=1037523

lightbane said:
The game is a wacky jrpg as Earthbound, a shame it was never launched outside of Japan because Nintendo decided to not risk after their failure with Earthbound, fortunately the boys at Starmen.net made a monumental effort and translated the entire game after 2 years, then sharing it for everyone for free (and not let’s say create a cult about it, like “some” did with a certain Obsidian’s game), the link can be found here: http://mother3.fobby.net/ (for the ROM just use Google, you’ll find one quicker than you can thought, no mercy for those that prevented one of the best jrpgs be launched to the rest fo the world).

This time the game focus more on the story and the plot, following a chapter-based system like the Dragon Quest series (a franchise of games that in my opinion are literal examples of what’s bad about jrpgs, aka they’re VERY slow paced, forced grinding, retarded design and unlikable characters); this doesn’t mean the game is less insane than Earthbound, to the contrary, it’s even more schizophrenic on every sense (the game has the unofficial subtitle of “strange, funny and heart-rending tale” for a reason), more mature and dark and gritty, including (but not limited to) animal cruelty, evil Arabians (who like to perform the former), space Nazis, dinosaurs, chimeras/ monsters made from multiple animals (anyone played Impossible Creatures?), cyborgs, mindfuckery (and much more nightmarish than Mother 2), parental beating, child killing (and thus child trauma), hopeless Apocalypse, transvestites, and absolute nihilism (and that’s only for a “children game”).

Unfortunately, it may not be liked by everyone because unlike Earthbound is a bit more “traditional”, the game is less urban (in fact, more or less there are only 2 cities on the entire game) and as I said before more story-oriented (perhaps it tries too hard, but to be fair the original Earthbound Zero was it as well), and it’s in 2d with an isometric view unlike the oblique projection of Mother 2.

So yeah, just google "Mother 3 ROM" and don't forget to download the fan translation from http://mother3.fobby.net/

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I didn't like it as much as Earthbound, but that was probably nostalgia. It's a fun game; if you liked Earthbound definitely check it out.

Lightknight

Liturgist
I know hundreds of people on the net who orgasm if you just mention Earthbound, but its really quite mediocre.

I.C. Wiener

Educated
Xor said:
I didn't like it as much as Earthbound, but that was probably nostalgia. It's a fun game; if you liked Earthbound definitely check it out.
It isn't. Earthbound is better and I say that as someone who played it for the first time in 2008. It's still a very good game but to me Earthbound is the best JRPG.

To the OP, just search on google, or 4chan /rs/ for five seconds, you should find a pre-patched rom.

tennishero

Novice
this game is so fucking shit

earthbound was fucking shit

except the part you have to kill a feutus

so fucking lame, pathetic shit RPG

like shin megami tensei bullshit

shit games for failures who dont know what good games are

oblivion shits all over this cockaroach

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom