Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community MotB walkthrough at Sorcerer's

Aditya

Educated
Reading all these interesting things about One-of-many is the ONLY reason why I am tempted to replay MoTB. In my first play-through, I chose Okku as I wanted to choose "myself" over the power of hunger, so I didnt devour him. Sadly, since I never found him interesting enough for company, he was mostly sleeping outside Mulsantir gates!

Redeye

Arcane
mjorkerina said:
Yeah, I always hated epic levels and would have liked it better if "epic" could only apply to truly magical creatures like Dragon and no humans, not even NPCs in the setting, could attain this kind of powers unless there was the intervention of a God or something.

When even a human can get enough power to best a dragon, even if it is a lesser one, all by himself, you know there is something deeply wrong with the game. Actually, it doesn't feel "epic" at all, no matter they have chosen this word to describe it. Epic for me is when your party of adventurers have to come up with great tactics to defeat such legendary beasts. Defeating a legendary beast should require a quest of its own with information gathering, planning and so on.

Yeah,

a truly epic campaign would have little combat; it would be diplomacy among super-powerful beings. On A Grand Scale!

Or maybe you play the minions: shedu, androsphynx, erinyes, etc. in a devious Spy Vs. Spy environment where points are awarded for mischief and wit rather than min-maxing /etc.

Mr. Teatime

Liturgist
I'll add my voice to those saying that they got bored of the game because of the clunky engine, annoying stats/levels/spells and the general 'mechanics' of the game that dragged it down. Don't really have much desire to try it again either, despite knowing about all the spiritual homages to PS:T.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
What are you trying to say? How can a plethora of stats, levels and spells be annoying? If anything we should be glad we still get somewhat complicated games.

I mean, check out Bioware. That game has... 3 stats you can increase on levelup.

I'll take a game with 100+ anyday.

Texas Red

Whiner
I'm playing MotB now and I'm actually surprised at the difficulty. You can't, for example, take on the barbarians in their tests once you arrive in Mulsantir. I couldn't also yet handle some optional encounters(though the tip during loading times did warn that optional fights will be extremely tough). Sometimes you have to face enemies that are all "Impossible". A fully protected and buffed cleric or druid goes down in seconds.

Unlike with NWN 2 OC, noobs, I think, couldn't survive MotB on the highest difficulty.

Though I must admit it's silly how a spellcaster who can conjure storms of fire gets owned by some barbarian guy.

Lumpy

Arcane
I think the problem some of you have is that you're taking the game too seriously from a D&D perspective. I don't know shit about P&P D&D, and that probably helped my view of the game.
For example, you look at starting at level 18 as a sign that you should weild great power and bow only to the gods. I look at it as just an arbitrary number representing relatively powerful people, like the game suggests.
Also, the loot: okay, there's a lot of stuff around. So fucking what? Seriously. You choose the optimal and pawn off the rest. How the fuck is that a problem?

Then again, if you want to play it just for the story, don't. It's not that good - in fact no game story is.

Redeye

Arcane
Dark Individual said:
I'm playing MotB now and I'm actually surprised at the difficulty. You can't, for example, take on the barbarians in their tests once you arrive in Mulsantir. I couldn't also yet handle some optional encounters(though the tip during loading times did warn that optional fights will be extremely tough). Sometimes you have to face enemies that are all "Impossible". A fully protected and buffed cleric or druid goes down in seconds.

Unlike with NWN 2 OC, noobs, I think, couldn't survive MotB on the highest difficulty.

Though I must admit it's silly how a spellcaster who can conjure storms of fire gets owned by some barbarian guy.

Often it's just how you do the opener.

I avoid resting as much as possible, but sometimes just a refresh is all it takes to turn a tough fight into a 10-second joke.

Playing a caster has it's advantages until you run out of spells.
I did the Skein without rest and used Suppress right at the start, so there was no way to feed. Got pretty low there, but I had regen items so I didn't have to use Satiate.

First rule of Skien Club:
Just let the bear kill everything.

Cheese Korner:

Use the area change trick to scribe 50-100 high damage spells. Then just drown all obstacles in mage-spam.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom