Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Most People Don't Finish Games

Your avatar makes me realize something. I finished Sengoku Rance 4 times within the span of a couple of months. The story is whatever (fun, but it's nothing super special), but the gameplay was wonderful (and relatively balanced throughout).

Terpsichore

Arcane
Pretty much every game i attempt to play lasts me for a couple of hours max and i rarely consider trying again.

Of course the decline in quality is a big factor but so is the fact that our standards rise with years, to the point where nothing is fun anymore.

Leonard DeVir

Educated
I remember reading an interview with the Half Life devs a long time ago. I guess everybody remembers the awful Xen levels at the end? In the interview, they admitted that they had time constraints, so they didnt flesh out the endgame as much as the rest - because most people will never reach the endgame anyway. Seems its not a modern phenomena.

coaster

Liturgist
I almost always finish games because I am OCD about it. If not, the game will taunt me whenever I see the box..."U FAILED LOL..."

Very occasionally I will defy the taunts and smash the game and box into pieces to teach it a lesson. Those few games remain unfinished because I have killed them.

Gord

Arcane
No guys, teh reason is that gamez are to compilcated, so people's brians hurt and ten they stop playin after creating they're character.

Anyway thats what Bioware told me and they must know!

20 Eyes

Liturgist
Zarniwoop said:
it's all because of crazy Steam/GOG/Gamersgate sales

This is my problem. Usually when I'm half-way through a game, I'll download the next one I want to play so it's ready when the time comes. Once it's downloaded, I often stop playing the first game and move on to the new one. I have way too many Steam games.

Renegen

Arcane
Leonard DeVir said:
I remember reading an interview with the Half Life devs a long time ago. I guess everybody remembers the awful Xen levels at the end? In the interview, they admitted that they had time constraints, so they didnt flesh out the endgame as much as the rest - because most people will never reach the endgame anyway. Seems its not a modern phenomena.

I never finished Half Life. I died in a tough battle in some Xen level and never went back. But it didn't keep me from playing Half Life and its mods more than any other game I've ever played in my life. Does that mean that I would've preferred if the Half Life SP was half the length? no.

People don't finish games, fine, but if devs use this as an excuse to cut the length of games in half, I won't touch them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom