Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Morrowind Mods, take 68, or: Hiking simulator redux

WalterKinde

Scholar
well it looks nice what did they have to leave out?
Levitation?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Lumpy said:
There's nothing wrong with how Morrowind looks. The faces look perfectly fine in the original game - Better Heads, and Oblivion faces, are much less artistic.
Morrowind in Oblivion... meh.
And Jasede, you like Morrowind as a hiking simulator, I take it?

Yes. I think it's a bad game, but a great "walk around in a really nice landscape, learn interesting lore, explore fascinating ruins and listen to bland, but very pleasant music" experience. The skybox alone makes me love it. The skybox at night, with the stars, the fogs, the moons... it moves me to tears just to look at it.

Lumpy

Arcane
Makes me wonder: would a game which was solely a hiking simulator/civilization explorer work?

afewhours

Scholar
Jasede said:
The skybox at night, with the stars, the fogs, the moons... it moves me to tears just to look at it.

I'm not sure I'd put it quite as strongly, but, yeah, I don't know how they went from Morrowind at night to goddamn Cyrodil. Morrowind is such an amazing looking game - especially at night - there's a lot of love in that game if you know where to look.

Hmmm. I think it deserves another playthrough... or hikethrough, maybe. Also, for all of the (justified) complaining about Morrowind's gameplay, I felt the fight with Almalexia was something special. Even with my then-uber character, that was frantic as hell. Nothing in Oblivion came close to that conflict.

Lumpy said:
Makes me wonder: would a game which was solely a hiking simulator/civilization explorer work?

See for yourself

DraQ

Arcane
For me Morrowind is a rough, unpolished gem.

NPCs suck, C&C are sparse and limited, animations are wooden, AI is horrendous and much of the game is beta quality, but the style, lore and general addictiveness more than make up for that.

Also, am I the only person here who prefers MW combat over OB combat? In MW one of the sides tends to die quickly and everything is stat-dependent, while combat in OB is predictable as hell and boils down to whittling the foe's health down by whacking him several dozen times with a claymore.

afewhours

Scholar
DraQ said:
Also, am I the only person here who prefers MW combat over OB combat? In MW one of the sides tends to die quickly and everything is stat-dependent, while combat in OB is predictable as hell and boils down to whittling the foe's health down by whacking him several dozen times with a claymore.

Yeah. Once the dreaded level-scaling kicks in on OB, every fight just turns into an annoying kite-fest - unless you're playing a Redguard warrior with the almighty adrenaline rush. MW was far more balanced in that respect. You won big fights by using a bit of nous, as opposed to your l33t FPS skills. I beat Almalexia by enchanting *all* my equipment with strength bonuses and drinking a million bottles of sujamma.

Either way, I found VtM:B's implementation of FPS combat to be much more fun. I know a lot of people here hated it, but I loved running into the middle of Giovanni mansion, cracking out the firearms and mowing everyone down. Being able to whip out the katana once the bullets ran out was the icing on the cake.

DraQ

Arcane
afewhours said:
I beat Almalexia by enchanting *all* my equipment with strength bonuses and drinking a million bottles of sujamma.
*Mental image of unrecognizable clump of flaming metal (formerly Trueflame) lying on the bottom of a kilometer long shaft carved through the Clockwork City and the ground beneath it.* :shock:

Ok...

LittleJoe

Arbiter
DraQ said:

Absolutely correct.
Most apologists for Oblivion say: 'Well at least the combat and graphics are better than Morrowind'
The combat is more visceral, but ultimately tedious.
The graphics are nicer but the world is uninteresting.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
LittleJoe said:
DraQ said:

Absolutely correct.
Most apologists for Oblivion say: 'Well at least the combat and graphics are better than Morrowind'

Heh, the graphics might be better, but the art direction is fucking bland. No uniqueness at all, and Cyrodiil could've been such a great place if only they made it like a jungle how it was originally described. Much rather they completely fucked up the lore to make it into some standard high-fantasy tale.

Hazelnut

Erudite
DraQ said:
For me Morrowind is a rough, unpolished gem.

NPCs suck, C&C are sparse and limited, animations are wooden, AI is horrendous and much of the game is beta quality, but the style, lore and general addictiveness more than make up for that.

I largely agree with you. I loved Morrowind when I first played it, and oh boy did I play it. Okay so the NPCs weren't exactly dripping with personality, and the animations were laughable. But discovering the different bits of the island, jumping out of my seat in the spooky as shit (if rather tiny) dungeons, enjoying the views, the night sky, the music. It got ruined for me when I realised:
1) That my carefully constructed custom class was a waste of time - I was destined to be jack of all trades.
2) Enchanting was so broken it was silly, although in hindsight my ebony longsword with leech health enchantment did help me finish the game & expansions. (I would have been too bored to do so without having this to whip out to make the combat easy when I needed to)
3) Dagoth Ur was persuasive enough that I wanted to accept his offer. I tried in vain to find the option... what a fucking disappointment. :( (although hardly a big surprise given how linear and fixed the path of the Neverarine was)

Still I can't say I didn't get my money's worth out of the game. Why didn't Oblivion didn't take the strengths of Daggerfall and Morrowind - combining them to evolve TES into something better, rather than worse?

Curse you Toddling!

Hory

Erudite
Is there a reason we needed Morrowind? They have tourism in real-life, you know.

WalterKinde

Scholar
Looks like two good mods dragonfk.
And very much should add to the atmosphere of morrowind.
And Hory true there is tourism in real life but you don't have to pack or spend over 100 bucks to get to morrowind :D just about 30 and no checking airline ticket prices.

dragonfk

Erudite
Hory said:
Is there a reason we needed Morrowind? They have tourism in real-life, you know.

Okey, Hory you've got a point. But on the other hand what offered Oblivion? Okey it claimed to offer many things, but in the end we are stuck with graphics and may I add a generic graphics with very generic places to visit, plot to experience and so on. All in all it offered nothing.

You'll ask why do we need Morrowind when we had Daggerfall. First and foremost Daggerfall was fUll of bugs. There is nothing more frustrating than losing 24 lvl Battlemage because of failurs of Bethesda programming department. Another thing is atmosphere. Morrowind offers first class adventure; "stranger in a strange land". I think it was mentioned many times that MW has great art and I wholehearty agree. And when modders create their texture packs with modern hardware in mind then I have nothing more to wish for in sandbox experience(okey, the last sentence is a lie).

Joe Krow

Erudite
LittleJoe said:
DraQ said:

Absolutely correct.
Can I be your alt please? Nicely done.

golgotha

Liturgist
Sil said:
I actually tried the lighting mod , but the interior lighting, inside houses etc...would be to bright....maybe i should edit the lighting values again....

although the mod stealth bonus is cool.
Try adjusting the values. I found it made the game's lighting look about 10 times better. The Sixth House hideouts gain a new atmosphere with the mod.

Whenever I reinstall it, I'll get a list of compatible mods together and take before/after screens.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
You know what I would love to see? A TES game set in Akavir. The little bits of known lore concerning this continent are so awesome that even after intense dumbing down by Todd the Defiler the game will still rock.

Mayday

Augur
Yeah, Gothic 2's forests are much better than Morrowind's and Oblibion's. But I dare say G3 got them even better (if you managed to turn off the annoying wildlife somehow).

Mayday

Augur
Because it:
-attacks you even if it makes no sense (Oblivion-like)
-the constant combat is extremely annoying
-it interrupts the beautiful music

Fez

Erudite
I still remember in G3 the boars and wolves and other beasts being able to kill the player and wipe out who camps of seasoned warriors. Seeing one wild animal easily kill the guy who claims to hunt them all the time was pretty woeful.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom