Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Morrowind for the first time; char build?

You'll be whacking things to death all the same, only it won't be as entertaining because that will be your only option. Just refrain from doing stupid shit like spending a week giving a blowjob to Creeper.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
...so why do you need the +5's during the level-up screen?
To feel da powah?
Seriously, if they make a 'learn by use' system then they should probably make it so that there are no level up screens at all and attributes rise by themselves just like skills. Even if you don't ocd the all fives every times you still have to keep track of the requirements and skill rises not to completely nerf your char or care that it develops in directions you intended. Without it there may be a lot of times where you get like couple of 2s in a useless attributes (for your build) and nothing else.

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
So I just beat Tribunal and vanilla Morrowind with my unhittable, invulnerable Breton enchanter [OP bound axe, Helseth's Signet Ring, and a bunch of constant AGI and Sanctuary enchantments], I still have Bloodmoon, Wizard's Islands, and Qarl's Underground to go.

One thing that bugged me about the ending of Morrowind though:

I hate the fact that you can tell Dagoth Ur what you want to do with the heart, yet you can't do anything but destroy it, that was super immersion breaking for me.

Aothan

Magister
I'm sure it is possible to convert Morrowind into Skyrim's format, Has this happened, or is it underway ? I should probably get around to playing Skyrim in earnest sometime.

Maschtervoz

Learned
I'm sure it is possible to convert Morrowind into Skyrim's format, Has this happened, or is it underway ? I should probably get around to playing Skyrim in earnest sometime.
There's that Skywind thing trying to recreate Morrowind into Skyrim's engine if that's what you were looking for, but nothing's released yet and it always smelled like vaporware to me.

Aothan

Magister
I see, well I have heard something about that, thanks for the details

Seriously, if they make a 'learn by use' system then they should probably make it so that there are no level up screens at all and attributes rise by themselves just like skills. Even if you don't ocd the all fives every times you still have to keep track of the requirements and skill rises not to completely nerf your char or care that it develops in directions you intended. Without it there may be a lot of times where you get like couple of 2s in a useless attributes (for your build) and nothing else.

Yeah, the level of retardation in Bethesda leveling systems always puzzled me. Who on earth would think that tying skills to attributes in some arbitrary way is a good idea for an RPG? They are still the only RPGs I've ever played where you feel punished every time you level up. Usually in bad leveling systems, you just don't feel rewarded.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
They are still the only RPGs I've ever played where you feel punished every time you level up.
Image_180413_234232_00000.bmp

Helton

Arcane
...so why do you need the +5's during the level-up screen?
To feel da powah?
I think this is the third time for this thread but, seriously, galsiah's character development. Use it.

Don Peste

Arcane
7. It continues for 10-15 pages and no one gives a fuck about the OP anymore.

A magic focused build is probably the most fun to mess around with, maybe with a decent weapon and armor skill for survivability when low on magicka. Also, it allows you to progress through House Telvanni, which is the obviously superior faction compared to the various other gangs of unwashed peasants.
So, Vanilla Morrowind + Galsiah's only. I would like a magic user + some archery and stealth. Would a pre-gen build be the best option? Which one would you recommend?

I would like a magic user + some archery and stealth.
Then nightblade is the way to go, just swap short blade with marksman. That's how I usually roll - copypaste the class description and swap/change some skills.

Grimlorn

Arcane
"0/32000"... Is this normal? :?

morrowind.PNG
Just some tips. There is a 1.08 version out that fixes some kind of bug. Don't remember, but don't think it's major. Also be careful with Endurance. When it's that low around 30s you barely gain any health per level. I was getting one to two shotted around level 20 with a unarmored magic user.

Also I had Alchemy as a main which was a mistake. Using alchemy a lot made me level really quickly and easily. So something to keep in mind. Might be ok if it's a minor.

Don Peste

Arcane
Just some tips. There is a 1.08 version out that fixes some kind of bug. Don't remember, but don't think it's major. Also be careful with Endurance. When it's that low around 30s you barely gain any health per level. I was getting one to two shotted around level 20 with a unarmored magic user.

Also I had Alchemy as a main which was a mistake. Using alchemy a lot made me level really quickly and easily. So something to keep in mind. Might be ok if it's a minor.
These were my choices:
morrowind2.PNG

How can I raise Endurance? With magic, and training skills related to this attribute?

Morrowind has the most complex and fun first-person spellcasting ever - so I'd go with a spellcaster of some sort.
Yes, I want to do some tricks. I'm not really sure where to start with it yet. Starting spells are: Firebite (On touch :(), Shield and Water walking.

Grimlorn

Arcane
You can train heavy and medium armor, but you can't train skills above the corresponding attribute. There's also the Lady sign which adds 25 endurance.

In a game with this mod you level pretty slowly. It takes about 20 spell casts just to gain 1 point in that skill. You're looking at about 5-10 skill ups to level up I think. Probably depends a bit on specialization and major or minor skills. I remember trying to train misc skills and leveling up a lot slower with those. 10-20 skill ups.

It just depends on how much you want to rely on trainers and making gold to pay for it. It's easy if you do that. Except endurance which only has medium and heavy armor. I try to play Morrowind more naturally and rely less on trainers and stealing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom