Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mordheim - turn-based tactics in the Warhammer universe

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
It's hard to design a proper "endgame" though, especially in a game where you can technically grind forever until your entire warband is outfitted with epic items, the best marks and have zero injuries. The act 2 story missions are quite hard though, so I don't really mind right now. The first one already was quite troublesome, the second one was somewhat easy (you got to kill Merga, the dramatis personae for the cult). The third one takes the cake though so far, 4 daemonettes and a respawning daemonette boss that only dies for real once you gathered 5 tainted wyrdstones that are scattered throughout the entire area. The mission has a 2.8k warband rating and I get destroyed, while I can handle 3.2k+ random missions on brutal/deadly difficulty without even losing a single unit.

Since 3 of my units died during my last attempt, I'm just gonna restart and put all my "lessons learned" to good use. I'll even try and make a rat-ogre work.

I think they are planning to implement other warbands at some point, most likely through DLC. Whether new units are on the plan I don't know, I would sure love some more customization though. Especially when it comes to a second option for the leader slot and spells in general, the game has a lot of room to grow.

Last edited:

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Also, rashiakas , I liked seeing your builds. I've been playing the game, probably not nearly as optimal as I could be, but it's great to see the potential is there. I also make a Marksman Hero (lad's got talent) and have been really satisfied with it. Let me ask you another question, do you find the Ogre to be worth it? He takes up a total of 3 hero slots - and he is amazing, I just don't know if he's more amazing than 3 champions.

Problem with Impressives is, they make the game way to easy, because the AI can't handle them the right way. You also only encounter them when you field your own, so I never use them. But that aside, I think 3 heroes are better then any Impressive because there are builds that can go up against one without problem (heavy dodger or skaven with poison can shut them down easily). Being large prevents them from entering buildings, another huge drawback for me. Sisters maiden of sigmar is an exception here and shes probably the only Impressive unit I would even consider in a serious setup. By the way, you can only field a max of two champions, which is pretty sad, because this makes born leader champs a bad option.

More warbands would certainly be nice, I agree. I hope they fix loading times and ui first though.

Torrasque01

Augur
Does the Big Guy really take 3 slots or just 2 and the UI makes it look like 3? At what warband level does the 3rd clustered slot get unlocked? Because I wanted to do a 6 mutant warband and I'm not sure that's possible.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
It takes 2, it just goes into the middle-slot and blocks the other two. You cannot put a hero unit into the middle slot though.

zeitgeist

Magister
I'm not very familiar with WH Fantasy, is this pretty much the WH Fantasy version of WH40K Necromunda? I always wondered how come there never was a Necromunda computer game, I thought the entire concept was pretty neat, and it would translate to a squad tactics game with resource management and free roaming very well.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
Mordheim (the tabletop) is basically the WHFB spinoff to Necromunda, yeah. The videogame is fairly close to the core rulebook too, so thats a plus. The game itself does have major issues with the loading times (2-3minutes per random map, not that much faster on SSD either) but once you played a couple of maps you start to do other stuff while the map is loaded and it won't bother you that much anymore. I have yet to try online-multiplayer, you will probably get cheesed a lot - not unlike playing the tabletop against people you don't know. All in all it is a fun game that you can spend a lot of time on, I do hope that they improve on the current state of the game though. More warbands/units is a given, loading times/UI should also be looked at.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
13 hours in and digging it so far. UI and camera are bleh, loading times are worse. AI is bloody stupid, but that's what multiplayer is for.

They've really nailed the feel of the miniatures game, which is a huge plus to me. For those who haven't played it, think of this as a 50-50 mix of Blood Bowl and nu-XCOM.

I like that the main income is what you loot during combat. If you play it safe, you can't afford training. Get too greedy gathering warpstone and permanent injuries accrue. The store only getting supplies once a week and training, injuries and warpstone pastor taking several days makes the warband management very enjoyable to me.

Definitely liking this. Cut loading times in half, improve AI and add an isometric camera for a better overview and this would be a GotY contender for me.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
Sometimes I wonder whether the "hired swords" are actually units that got fired from someone elses warband... I mean this has got to be a joke right?

8b480c848b.jpg

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
AI is not so bad compared to other TB games. It actually does some pretty nice things from time to time. It just sucks with Impressive and their size most of the time. Still though I was indeed surprised a couple of times from the spots the AI found to ambush me for example

Saark

Arcane
Patron
AI certainly has high and low moments. Special daemons constantly found ways to attack my eshin sorcerer/ranged units bee-lining around 5 warpguards in the process. Archers/Gunners hiding inside houses and getting a free overwatch attack through a tiny window is also quite nice. On the other side of the coin you then have a lvl10 magister that attacks three times before buffing himself with weapons of destruction when he could've done it after the first one and still got 2 attacks in with the damage bonus. Units also sometimes seem to be stuck on tiny edges, if you ever have a map where one or two units simply don't show themselves 10 turns after their brethren already died you can be sure that they got stuck somewhere close to their deployment spot.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Had an AI Sister of Sigmar in a dead end alley fail her climb check 4 times over 2-3 turns. When she finally succeeded, she turned around and jumped back down again, walking back the way she came :lol:

Is there any way to see how much my rays have in their inventories without going to a scavenging spot? Couldn't find a button for it, and sometimes it's hard to remember which of my verminguard have warpstone bound for the cart

In general I wish there was a way to keep all bugs and decides on a thing visible as small icons with tooltips. The current buff/debuff overlays take up to much space

Torrasque01

Augur
Is there any way to see how much my rays have in their inventories without going to a scavenging spot? Couldn't find a button for it, and sometimes it's hard to remember which of my verminguard have warpstone bound for the cart
Spacebar for the radial menu(gamepads lol) and the bottom most one is the inventory.

Sometimes I wonder whether the "hired swords" are actually units that got fired from someone elses warband... I mean this has got to be a joke right?
8b480c848b.jpg

Dude... that's a Skaven I got rid of yesterday. Dead serious. Same injuries, same level, same name, same appearance. What the fuck.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I find it hard to believe it wouldn't be advertised as a feature. But if it is, Mordheim got even more awesome

GrainWetski

Arcane
So are they planning to actually fix the UI? I'd buy the game if they did as it sounds pretty good.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
I'm pretty sure they will fix some stuff, especially deployment, since EVERYONE hates it atm.

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron
I know that they want to improve loading times by upgrading to another version of unity. Skaven are so overpowered btw, I hope they nerf those poisons.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
I know that they want to improve loading times by upgrading to another version of unity. Skaven are so overpowered btw, I hope they nerf those poisons.
You know that the average Steam forum dude complains that he can't survive with Skaven? :P

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron
I'd be surprised if the average steam forum dude enjoys this game at all. Still amazed it got such good ratings.

Zeriel

Arcane
I'd be surprised if the average steam forum dude enjoys this game at all. Still amazed it got such good ratings.

Truth, I can't imagine how those people deal with this game, it even tested my patience at times and I am the sort of person who found Impossible + Iron-Man on XCOM "just right".

vonAchdorf

Arcane
One repeating issue I have with the AI is that enemy units tend to get stuck at corners while trying to run to you. They'll run in place, then notice that they don't move and enter a defensive stance.

Zeriel

Arcane
One repeating issue I have with the AI is that enemy units tend to get stuck at corners while trying to run to you. They'll run in place, then notice that they don't move and enter a defensive stance.

To be fair, the retarded AI is the only reason some missions are feasible. I have it in my head that the difficulty boosts (enemies doing way more damage than you on brutal, the enemy warband ALWAYS being stronger than you, even on Normal difficulty, etc) are due to the developers recognizing the AI is dumb. If the AI was even average tier with the current balance players would get trashed so often.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Sounds a lot like how Warmachine Tactics turned out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom