Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Monkey island talkie goodness

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
Hi guys, maybe you know of this already.
I've grown up on Lucas point'n'click games and one of my dreams was playing voiced Monkey Island 1 & 2.
Then Lucas released the Special Editions. Great! Except that the art is utter shit (at least in the first one, the second is ok).
So it was ugly graphics and voices or mute'n'cute vanilla MI for me. I was a sad little bastard.

But some very nice guy made a way to process Special Editions to create versions with the original graphics and the new voiceovers!
Joy.
http://gratissaugen.de/ultimatetalkies/
You can play the derived versions in ScummVM, and 1.6 has MT-32 improvements, so you get (in my opinion) the best versions of Monkey Island 1 and 2 ever.
I really love Dominic Armato as Guybrush, by the way.

Enjoy!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
...or you can push a button while playing the Special Editions and go back to the original graphics while keeping the voice acting.

Lancehead

Liturgist
I'm pretty sure the voice acting doesn't stay when you switch to classic.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
Anyway, it has other benefits : playing it on many OSes/devices (ie Linux for most people) and having a better iMUSE in MI2.
And, more importantly, having the intro with the monkeys in MI2!

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I thought I remembered it staying, even in MI1, but I might be wrong.
You're wrong, they only added this in MI2SE after people complained.

This might actually make me want to pick the SE, thanks for the heads up.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Call me a nutcase but I can't stand voice and subtitles at once. I read while trying to listen and listen while trying to read and I end up missing everything in the confusion. So... does this allow you to turn off text in MI and MI2 through ScummVM? I doubt ScummVM lets you do it normally, since they aren't talkies.

Neat idea though. Kudos to the man for the work.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The art in MI1 remake is bad. However, in the MI2 remake it's quite good.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Games of that erea relied a lot on imagination still ; hearing the characters talk ccompletely ruins it for me. My god, I remember muting the voices in Curse of Monkey Island.

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
Yes, some people think that Maniac Mansion is a regression from Infocom and Magnetic Scrolls games because of this.
I love both myself, and having voiced MI1 and 2 is a true delight.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Do not put my words in my mouth. Those games were designed with graphics but no voices. Having voices all of a sudden is weirdtastic.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Games of that erea relied a lot on imagination still ; hearing the characters talk ccompletely ruins it for me. My god, I remember muting the voices in Curse of Monkey Island.

You have shit taste then because Earl Boen as LeChuck is pretty badass.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom