Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Modding TES Arena (and Battlespire?)

WaterLoser

Barely Literate
Thanks a lot for everything you've written here. I've been messing around with this game a lot in the past week.
Q4zatni.png

Since Arena dropped on Steam, I've been trying to mod it. I'm having a few issues (basically attempting to override a lot of the textures/music):
1. Compressed IMG files. If I don't compress the IMG, the game skips to the BSA directory for the original image. I'm still working on figuring this out.
2. I can't find any program online that can read DFA. I can't split the animation layers in GIMP but I can in ezgif. The DFA files in Arena are not the same format as the DFA files in that one poker game that shows up when you try to websearch them.
3. Midis completely lose me with this game. I can put some Daggerfall songs into this game, but a lot of them will have missing instrument audio (due to not using an instrument soundfont that's supported by Arena). I have my own midis, and I've tried swapping instruments to the soundfont Arena uses (there's a list of the instruments in the ULTRAMID.INI.) Unfortunately, it still doesn't work. I wonder if it has to do with the header information not being the same standard as the rest of the game's XMI/XFM files. Midis give me such a headache, I don't want to work with them again... If only I knew what I'm doing wrong in the first place, lol.

Some things of note about Arena's FM(OPL2)s/XMIDIs (XFM/XMI): The game is MT32MPU compatible (I know Wikipedia says it isn't because the soundfont isn't standard, but MT-32 uses XMI and that's what matters. Even though the game seems to only run OPL2 (XFM) files but also have a copy of XMI files as well? Idk. Maybe that's for the other version of the game.)

Arena seems to only use Chns 1-11 for instruments (I could be wrong. I only tested like 3 XMI files.) You can play Arena's XMI files via AIL2 with the command "XPLAY [xmi file] MT32MPU.ADV", or if you don't feel like using MS-DOS, you can play XMI files in MIDIPLEX (which can also export MID files as XMI, and vice versa) or in MidiEditor (but I should note, use WinArena to rip Arena's base game music into MIDIs, as exporting them to MID with MIDIPLEX seems to make them unplayable in MidiEditor. Idk.) MIDIFORM also can convert MID > XMI but it runs on MS-DOS. I also used MidiEditor which won't read MID files that won't work in Arena (even if you can still play them in MidiPlex or literally any other midi player. How frustrating...) Regardless, it's a solid way to test if you've accidentally made it unplayable for Arena. It also doesn't seem to be able to read MIDs that's been converted from XMI.

--- some time passed as I was writing this post ---​

I finally figured out how to kinda get some custom MIDIs to work. In MidiEditor, keep Channel 0 blank. That seems to be used for general events (like time signatures, tempo, stuff). The big issue is that nothing on Channel 0 will play. I haven't edited anything with more than 2 channels, but I'm assuming the max is 1-11? Maybe only use Channels 1-10 to be safe. Then, in MIDIPLEX, you can add an event for playback looping.
F3vyJN6.png
I'm assuming the color glitch I keep encountering is due to having an instrument on the wrong channels, but I'm not going to bother testing this. This literally took me two full days of brain-numbing research to figure out.

Hopefully, this helps, idk, someone.

Some things I've noticed:
1. I think that offset 9 in the hex data of CIF files represents transparency (I think?). If it's 00, the CIF file has a black background but if it's flagged 08, it's transparent. This doesn't apply to IMG files which use black for transparency.
2. The first layer of colors in the color palette (PAL.COL) are used for special effects (I think?). It's a good idea to check whether or not an IMG that's been converted from PNG contains those colors because they show up wrong in-game. (For IMGs) black becomes blue, blue becomes green, etc. The light green color on the top row is for reflections (I think?). The dark blue and dark cyan color in the first row seems to be linked to the color of the sky as the custom UI I made will integrate the color of the sky instead of dark blue and dark cyan when I walk outside. It's actually a pretty cool effect so I kept it (although originally my Redguard's eyes were a different color and would change with the color of the sky. Kinda reminds me of the Time Hair Dye from Terraria, lol.) Some of the colors will strangely glow rather than fade to black like normal (you can see that the shading doesn't seem to work in my image so walls will pop into view rather than fade to black. Don't know what's the deal with that. It might have been originally been used for the glowing effect windows will have at night.
3. Hypothetically, you could change some stuff in the INF files so that places won't be taking from the same SET, e.g. I only wanted the palaces to have the King Dedede aesthetic but other dungeons will pull from the SET as well. I haven't messed with this yet.
4. Here's another thing that should probably be mentioned. You had an issue with exporting faces that required you copying and pasting the same face over and over. That is entirely on purpose, because the game stores the different facial presets in one CIF, so it needed 10 different layers for each race because there's 10 different facial presets to choose from. (I think. Idk.)

I have yet to figure out how to convert anything into DFA, CFA, or compressed IMG. I have a suspicion that they don't actually need to be compressed in the modern era but I don't know.

Color indexing was done by pulling color palettes from images and saving them in GIMP before indexing the new file to the palette(s) used in Arena. PNG to IMG done in BSATools.

If I made a mistake, whatever.

Moonrise

The Magnificent
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Dreamland, eh? How striking. I don't know if you played the Rampage mod, but for that project I learned how to get music into Arena. As usual with these kinds of things, the key is finding tools that would've been contemporary when the game was developed. In this case, Miles Sound System. You'll have to run these programs in DOS or DOSBox, but I was able to convert between XMI and MIDI, vice versa, without any fiddling whatsoever.

Moonrise

The Magnificent
Patron
Didn't expect to do any more Arena modding, but I've worked out the lighting system. Somebody asked me if I could get rid of the unsightly dither on textures. For some reason, stupidly, the game never considers walls next to the player or next to light sources as being fully lit. Anyway, I was able to tighten and push back the shadows. Now when you're in low-light conditions, like in a dungeon or someplace outside during a foggy day, the textures won't be butchered more than they already are by the low resolution. Mod will be out soon, and I'll post some examples.

metalblade

Barely Literate
This may be a long shot, but is it possible to add custom races to Arena? I've always wanted to be able to play as an Imperial in this game for many reasons but I don't know how to do that.

Moonrise

The Magnificent
Patron
Add? No. But the existing races can be edited completely. I've gotten enough requests for Imperials... I guess I'll do it.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Was there ever a poll ranking if least to most interesting races in Arena (or any elderscrolls games). Same with classes.

Moonrise

The Magnificent
Patron
Was there ever a poll ranking if least to most interesting races in Arena (or any elderscrolls games).
I don't know about most interesting, but polls and data have been done on most played. If you compare across games, and especially looking at the MMO, Altmer, Breton, and Khajiit seem to be the most popular.

Moonrise

The Magnificent
Patron
Okay, the lighting mod is available.

You can check out the before and after pics there, but I thought I'd show a closeup comparison. Light sources actually light things now. The difference doesn't look like much in stills, but it's far cleaner in motion.

Dx9SQgX.png

zNja0cf.png

Moonrise

The Magnificent
Patron
Okay, I guess I should explain the lighting. There are two relevant files: NORMAL.LGT, and FOG.LGT. The first is invoked when you're not in full brightness, the second when it's overcast, raining, snowing, etc. These files are identical in length and structure. They consist of 13 sections. The first is for light sources, including the player. The following 12, second being closest, thirteenth being furthest away, are used to fade textures into the background color. Either an off-black (RGB 12,12,24) or gray (RGB 138,138,150). This is done through palette rearrangement. No colors are being added. The same 256-color palette used for the game is used here. The first 16 colors seem to be reserved, and aren't used at all. If you change them nothing will happen.

lHMBF4U.png

So let's cover how this looks in the file. Hex FF, or 255, represents that final color, the dark gray. You could replace an entire section with it and everything would be that color. I'll give an example. I replaced all colors in the first section, the one for light sources, and the area near the player and the street lamp are entirely dark gray. You can imagine shifting the gradients, adding darker colors as you go. I'm sure they did this programmatically because it would be tedious as all hell by hand.

ntIDJWj.png

Violetnred

Barely Literate
hello :D just wanted to say i'm glad to see that Arena modding is picking up. looks like this was a good time for me to pick up the game. got here after looking for ways to edit classes, but it looks like not everything can beedited, unfortunately. also glad to see the engine remake attempt - no matter how exact or playable it is for now.
this is an amazing game TBH - with some flaws, naturally, but still amazing. a much "tighter" experience than most other similar games, which makes it easy to enjoy. got myself the un-fogging mod and remapped controls files. hopefully the engine remake will eventually allow for more advanced mods - like hidden wall detection without map or editing special features of any class.
really appreciate all your efforts. byyyye :salute:

relaxedtuba

Barely Literate
Does anyone know how to edit city/town names? I've tried messing around with some copies of the citydata files but they just result in CTDs

Lemming42

Arcane
Something keeps bringing me back to this game, and has for years. Daggerfall is too sprawling to jump in and out of, I played Morrowind so much that I never want to set foot on that fucking island ever again, Oblivion is shit, and Skyrim is too much of a headache to mod and the boredom sets in too quick for it to really be worth it in the end.

Arena's almost unsurpassed as something that's both suitably "mindless" to play while listening to the radio or whatever, yet also has such a pleasing sense of progression (both in terms of the main quest and in terms of your character's stats) that it doesn't feel like you're just totally wasting time. Done all kinds of challenge runs: magic only, total pacifist (just cast Spell Reflection lol), unarmed only (FUCK Iron Golems), ranged only (disastrous), the list goes on.

The future of this game definitely lies in OpenTESArena but the dude is like depressed or something and doesn't seem to work on it much. I hope when it does come out, it develops a big modding community like DF Unity did and hopefully leads to the creation of all-new dungeons and quests and things. For all it's faults there's something really appealing about Arena that deserves to be expanded on.

the_raven

Barely Literate
Hi, everyone! I wanted to modify Arena so that my Sorceror could use Ebony Mail, but I haven't the first clue about using a hex editor. Can anyone help me? Is it at all possible?

Moonrise

The Magnificent
Patron
Hi, everyone! I wanted to modify Arena so that my Sorceror could use Ebony Mail, but I haven't the first clue about using a hex editor. Can anyone help me? Is it at all possible?
Yeah, it's possible. Anything is possible. I made a version of the game just for you giving the Sorcerer proficiency with plate armor and tower shields. Have fun!

rnDFqz3.png

deuxhero

Arcane
I wonder how a class's spell points are stored. A martial class that gets 0.5*int spell points instead of Ranger or Knight's special abilities would fit right into Arena's class, but I have no idea if it's possible to include.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom